Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone ever damaged a frame because of an ISCG mounted guard?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Idle pondering really when I was cleaning my bike this evening. Suppose you clattered into something really hard when you have an ISCG mounted bash guard on, I wonder if you could rip the tabs off, or worse end up with more serious damage round the BB area?

I don’t imagine that I would ever do this, because I am very graceful and balletic in all that I do, but there are some clumsy oafs out there.

thegreatape
    Free Member

And the sensible people who went to bed in good time?

tops5
    Free Member

Yep I did – Transition Covert

Got an excellent crash replacement deal

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

What was the damage?

legend
    Free Member

It does happen, but it’s rare even in DH racing as the attached guard just tends to get destroyed instead.

Still preferable to a BB mounted one that’ll spin round until it hits the chainstay instead

tops5
    Free Member

Ripped the ISCG tabs off

Edit: I think that constant chainsuck issues may have been working the welds for a while

chiefgrooveguru

I asked Keith @ Banshee about this and his view was that a crank mounted bash ring would be easier on the frame than an ISCG mounted taco – partly because the load is spread over a larger area and partly because a bash ring is less likely to stop dead on a big hit like a taco.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I guess it’s all down to how big and direct the collision is.

mtbel
    Free Member

No. not all. It’s also down to how well the ISCG mounts are attached to the frame, how the bash is connected to them and the construction of the actual Bashguard.
    If you’re really worried use a weak polycarbon bash attached with Alu bolts or maybe just keep cleaning the bike instead of riding it. 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Santa Cruz warn against using taco style ISCG guards and they won’t replace the frame if you break the tabs with one.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Yup, Orange 222 back in the day – smashed the tabs clean off. Ran a bb adapter for a while then cracked the shock mounts so had it replaced.

They were particularly flimsy and haven’t really worried about it on any bike since.

legend
    Free Member

mtbel – Member

No. not all. It’s also down to how well the ISCG mounts are attached to the frame, how the bash is connected to them and the construction of the actual Bashguard.
    If you’re really worried use a weak polycarbon bash attached with Alu bolts or maybe just keep cleaning the bike instead of riding it.

You nearly weren’t a nob there, good you see you pulled it back from the brink in the end 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you’re really worried use a weak polycarbon bash attached with Alu bolts or maybe just keep cleaning the bike instead of riding it.

🙂 Wondering, not worrying. As I said, I am delicacy personified.

I have taken my Blackspire Bruiser off though, but that’s because it offends my eye having switched from 2×10 to 1×10 (cough – classifieds)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever damaged a frame because of an ISCG mounted guard?’ is closed to new replies.