Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone ever broke there elbow?
  • grizzer
    Free Member

How long should it take before you get no pain?I came off my bike in July,had a complete fracture, split the joint in two!In tempory plaster for 2 weeks to see if the ligament's attached to it displaced and pulled the break apart,the usual outcome apparantly in which case they have to pin it!I was one of the rare lucky one's that did'nt need this sugery so was put in plaster for another 6 weeks, with my arm bent at 90 degree followed by 4 weeks of phisio to straighten it.Only managed to get it to 85% straight,this is normal Doctors say.I've started to train and ride and can manage a few press ups,but when riding still get a lot of pain when pulling up on the bars,I don't want go back to the Doc's incase they say stop riding or am I just being impatiant?

Smee
    Free Member

did mine 17years ago and it still gives me stick in certain positions.

Trekster

Broke my collar bone 5/6yrs ago for the 2nd time and it still gives my problems, can feel it after last nights ride atm.

Last guy I helped remove from the jump area at Mabie had a broken elbow, looked nasty open fracture…………

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5thElefant
    Free Member

Broke mine in 1986 (and 1989, and 1990). Can't remember how long until it stopped hurting but I was riding a motorbike the next day, so can't of been that bad. My fingers didn't work but I could drag my hand over the throttle.

Only hurts if it gets knocked now, which is often and really hurts…

ciron
    Free Member

I did mine in July and have a plate and 5 screws in it now. Probably around the same range of movement as you.

Still getting some pain and not got much strength back yet. It sounds pretty usual to have pain for sometime.

Hoping to get riding soon, before I have to go back to hospital to get all the metal removed in September.

bri-72

April for me, pinned and plated. 85% movement for me, still some stiffness and pain. Back onbike now but pretty limited strength so no done anything 'big' yet. Hoping the mojo comes back in 2010.

eth3er
    Free Member

My very first biking accident 5 years ago fractured radial head, still gives me trouble once a while. Patience and you'll eventually get full movement.

Flapjack
    Free Member

Broke my left elbow in two places about three years ago. Initially they thought I'd have to be plated, but after a couple of weeks in a sling it started to repair itself. I had to keep returning to the fracture clinic over the course of several months so that they could monitor my ability to hold my arm straight (which increased with time). Three years on I can almost hold out completely straight and only occasionally get a short ache in it, and sometimes I can feel it click.

grizzer
    Free Member

Get the clicking too and a kind of locking sensation,thanks for your advice and think the answer is try not to crash!

julianwilson
    Free Member

About eight years ago I snapped one of the knobbly bits off the end of my humerus, sling only for 6 weeks by which time my tendons shrank so i was 30 degrees off straight (the physio had this cool protractor thing to measure it before and after each 'session'. By 'session, I mean quarter hour of my mind battling with 'how can such a nice pretty lady make me hurt so much?!?')

I still can't straighten mine fully though it has improved by 2 or 3 degrees a year since i did it. Mine ached at odd points for a long while after, definitely remember it aching in pulling things (for me it was hospital beds and 'manual handling' old folk). Oh and it did click every so often for the first six months.

beardie
    Free Member

Did mine about 25 years ago, had it pinned and so on, very painful at first with limited movement, was self employed mechanic at time so had little choice but to use it, probably about a year before it was anything like back to normal.

Fred
    Free Member

Broke mine in Greece 2 years ago, I was off the bike for 10 weeks and needed physio to get full extension. No problems now though.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

broke mine in the summer, only a small break mind you, 2 weeks off the bike, 8 weeks physio and now pads on EVERY ride regardless. Still get a bit of an ache now and then but otherwise ok.

hora
    Free Member

I've started to train and ride and can manage a few press ups,but when riding still get a lot of pain when pulling up on the bars,I don't want go back to the Doc's incase they say stop riding or am I just being impatiant?

WTF? Seriously. Listen to your body and speak to your Doc asap. If it stops you riding for 3months- so what? Would you prefer to prolonge the healing the process and maybe the pain of not letting it heal properly stops you riding for ever?

I broke mine in 1995 on a tree stump, I didnt ride again until 2001.

Ps. On ache's etc- nothing. Even when I broke the same arm clean through- nothing!

gazman
    Free Member

just over a year ago i banged my elbow at work i got a bruise about 3" round with a red centre for about 2 weeks, about september last i banged it aganst the edge of a door, everytime i catch it now it hurts like foooook i can feel something moving when i touch it on the tip anyone think it could be broken?

thanks in advance and sorry for thread napping

hora
    Free Member

[Dr hora-quack]gazman, you've chipped the bone probably and have a floating fragment. Its a simple proceedure under local anasthetic with a scalpel..[/Dr hora-quack]

gazman
    Free Member

dr hora, will it do any harm left there?

hora
    Free Member

I reckon best see your GP.

gazman
    Free Member

cheers hora,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever broke there elbow?’ is closed to new replies.