Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone else's ipad a bit past it…?
  • DrP

I’ve an iPad 2.. Several years old, and unfortunately it’s showing its age…
    Cracked screen (thanks son) I could live with, but it’s becoming very laggy, email won’t open up, and typing on the keyboard seems to be about four words behind me…..

Anything I can do to revive it?
    iOS 8 probably was a significant nail….

I’m loathed to shift it on, but it went for a completely useable item, to having me firing up the laptop again!!

Thoughts? The new nexuss (nexi?) seem iPad price range now…

DrP

geoffj

‘nother iPad or a Hudl 2

Kato

iOS8 killed my iPad, it runs like a dog now where as it was fine on iOS7. It’s got to the point I’ve stopped using it

darrell
    Free Member

my ipad2 has been passed down to the 2 yr old. stripped it of everything other than kiddie apps and youtube

works ok

Houns

The only thing that my iPad 2 struggles with is this chuffin site 😡

Suggsey
    Free Member

There is some software apps that if you go speak to Apple should help with speed etc and have you backed it up to a separate hard drive?
    Daughter revived her uni MacBook doing this and still running fine.

bedmaker

Yeah ios8 seems to have wrecked mine too. From being perfect it’s now laggy, crashy and the sound only works occasionally.

Drac

Wife’s iPad 2 is a bit slower these days but given what she uses it for and now the kids have their own iPads it’ll do for now.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

The old iPads are really past it I think. My sister had an iPad 1 and loved it, to start with. Then it for slower, buggier and no apps supported as it was an old iOS.

She bought an Air a few months ago and it is soooo much better, Incredibly faster and smoother. The new ones, Air 1 or 2, are immeasurably better than the iPad 2.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Same here, iPad 2 that’s almost unusable after installing iOS 8.
    Probably won’t bother buying a replacement though.

bruneep

was thinking this the other day, probably going to get a Samsung tab soon to finally get apple out of my life.

zippykona

iPad 2 that we haven’t updated and it’s as fast as my brand new mini.

breadcrumb

I’ve not updated to iOS8, and I don’t think I will be either (iPad 2).

DrP

Meh…just got a hudl 2 for £77…
    Refurb and boost points….

I’m now fully android (well, will be come Saturday) again!

Life’s too short to have a cr@p tablet. (1st world problem….!!)

DrP

finishthat
    Free Member

backup and reset then restore ?

h1jjy
    Free Member

iSO 8 finished off my Mini.
    It was a early one and since got a new air2.
    I believe that later updates to iSO8 should help with speed and start a fresh with it will help

CountZero

Houns – Member
    The only thing that my iPad 2 struggles with is this chuffin site

Have to say I agree, mine’s a 2, and generally runs fine, although it’s memory can get a bit clogged up at times, but it has various issues with this site that just don’t seem to occur anywhere else, in particular with c’n’p and clotting adverts that block out the screen.
    The c’n’p’ problem seems to be unique to here, I don’t recall it happening elsewhere.
    Regarding usable memory, I’ve got an app I downloaded when I had my iP3, called Free Memory, which just clears out the cache, allowing you to carry on, but it doesn’t seem to be available any more, and I can’t find any equivalent.

hot_fiat

Ipad 2 running ios8.1.2 with no issues at all. It does get very slow and doddery however when it runs down to less than 1gb of free space. It also doesn’t like having lots of apps open simultaneously. Especially Demand 5, which looks like it was written by a buffoon.

Have downloaded 8.1.3 but not installed yet. Works ok on my 5c.

darrenspink
    Free Member

If any Apple device is more than a year old they see it as ‘past it’ thats why Apple is the biggest company in the world, we the suckers buy into it.

Stu_N

Mine (iPad2) was running super-slow on iOS8 but 8.1.2 fixed that. I’ve had it 3 years so it’s done well for portable consumer electronics TBH; used daily in that time.

Reckon next iOS will kill it off but until then no great incentive to swap or upgrade.

DezB
    Free Member

The old iPads are really past it I think

Mine certainly isn’t! Works exactly like it did when I first got it.
    Still running IOS 7.1 , so it looks like I haven’t benefitted from the “performance enhancements” of 8.1 (thats what it says against the update option) 🙂

dereknightrider
    Free Member

My iPad one battery doesn’t hold it’s charge that long, it wouldn’t take the latest software so it does run OK, but not unless it’s plugged in.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My iPad 2 is still chugging on. Way past it’s best but fully functional and not too laggy. It throws a wobbly every now and then but some patience and the odd full restore seems to be effective. Would like to replace it but got other things I’d rather spend £300 on at the moment – when i next have £300 lying around!

iOS8 initially slowed it up, but it seems to have improved with the later updates. All in all its done me a great service over the years and doesn’t owe me anything. Paying premium prices is ok so long as you get a premium product.

CHB

ios8 nearly killed both my ipad3 and my iphone 4s.
    Ipad is SOOO SLOW compared with my microsoft surface that I am seriously considering de-camping back to MS rather than Apple (not a blind fanboy of either).
    Windows 10 might just be the catalyst I need to go to windows phone for the first time in 5 years.

letmetalktomark

IPad 2 here running current OS. Three years old used daily.

It went through a wobbly patch a few months ago and I then thought I had gone an OS too far.

Clearing out the “other” storage using the usual tricks sped things back up to how they had been.

No lag from typing now etc.

pictonroad

Same boat here. Ipad 2 is unusable apart from watching Donald Duck cartoons through a thick haze of weetabix spatters.

It’s not that old though, PC is older than it, cost less and works fine still.

I won’t replace it with another one, just too expensive.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I didnt bothered updating the software after ios 5 (if that was the last one with the ad free youtube and google maps) – email, videos, internet, music etc all still running fine. The latest versions of apps and games dont work (and cant be downloaded) but i dont really need them.

My reluctance to update was due to being bitten in the past with apples planned obsolescence – it got to the point where my old iphone couldnt do anything apart from make phone calls – despite email, apps, internet browsing etc working fine prior to the final OS update.

GrahamS

backup and reset then restore ?

That’s usually a good shout for sorting out any little niggles or issues that are the result of multiple OS upgrades, flash corruption etc. OP should try that. Also make sure you still have a decent amount of free space left. No system likes running out of disk space!

FWIW I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4S both running iOS 8 and they both work just fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Iphone 4 and ipad 2 here ,

Ios 6 on the phone and ios 7 on the ipad both still working just fine.

One thing i learnt over the years never be the first to update an apple product, find out how much it slows down your device first,

had them both 4 years , mrs tr has had 2 laptops in that time……

donks
    Free Member

iPad 2 here and it runs fine…….. All except the battery life which is good for about 3 hours as it’s been charged about 1000 times. We only ever really used it for the odd game and interwebz, have no music or photos, documents etc stored so easy to just wipe and start again if need be.

Just bought a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 for me though. It’s great.

DT78
    Free Member

Anyone might think Apple are doing it on purpose…

D0NK

iOS 8 probably was a significant nail….

bugger! I updated my ipad2 (from 7 something) last night 🙁

DrP

Anyone might think Apple are doing it on purpose…

In a way yes, in a way, no…

I kind of get the ‘inbuilt obsolescence’ idea, but then again, things DO have a limited lifespan, and technologies update, and consumer needs increase (as in, a game developed this year will be more computing-intensive than last year (apart from flappy bird))…

It’s had a good life, has been dropped and sat on and spat on and used as a tea tray, so I’m not feeling too hard done by…

I think I’ll back it up, wipe it and start afresh, and stick it to the fridge as some sort of “ipad-stuck-on-fridge-modern-life-gadgetshow-type-thing”…

DrP

rumple
    Free Member

i’ve got the new ipad mini and its incredible. 64gb in gold.

cannot fault the thing.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Ipad 2, battery is on its way out, and has got really quite slow.
    But I have used it a lot, and it doesn’t owe me much, like a lot on here iOS8 has been pretty much the death of it.
    But then the performance on the later ones has rocketed past the early generations.
    I am just going to hold out till sept i think, and get the “next” ipad

D0NK

as in, a game developed this year will be more computing-intensive than last year

if that’s due to better graphics*, more calculations, better opponent behaviour, etc, that actually makes the game better it’s fair enough. If it’s coz there’s more grunt available on the latest models so no-one bothers to write/optimise stuff properly then that’s a bad thing.

*slightly dubious that one, the crap graphics good game beats the polished turd of a game every time.

GrahamS

There is a pretty huge disparity between the performance of an iPad 2 and a modern iPad Air 2:

Not entirely surprising that some apps may be written to use some of that grunt and don’t run as well on iPads that are four generations older.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Not entirely surprising that some apps may be written to use some of that grunt and don’t run as well on iPads that are four generations older.

The operating system still running ok however, I think you’d expect. Especially when you’re continually “encouraged” to upgrade. Ipad 2 owner still on iOS 7 here. Will not be upgrading.

sazter

Conversely I just found the charger for my 2002 ipod and it still works! 🙂
    Retro red light up buttons and 2 tone grey display.

euans2
    Free Member

iOS 8 made my iPad mini next to useless for a good while, with software upgrades it started to become usable again but still nowhere near as good as it was before.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else's ipad a bit past it…?’ is closed to new replies.