Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Anyone else want a mentally bad winter?
  • aracer
    Free Member

i get to go skimming across virgin snow unused by anyone other than the morons with their cross-country skis

and I get to XC ski across… no actually you’re right – they are morons, as XC skiing on pancake flat fields is rubbish and clearly there are hilly alternatives nearby (I also own a snowboard and a biggish kite, but haven’t managed to put the two together).

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Really enjoyed all the snow last winter (even though i crashed my car) so yeah, bring it on!

(snow tyres on standby this year)

scotsman
    Free Member

better get lots this year, need to play with the plough and gritter that has just been purchased for the farm quad, and the £££’s of pounds spent installing heat tracing cable in the gutters needs a good testing!

molgrips
    Free Member

Thinking that we’ll visit the USA family at Christmas this year instead of Thanksgiving – this should mean a good chance of proper snow and cold. Although one year in November, 2008 I think, it was -15 with 2ft of snow 🙂

epicyclo

Got 2 fatbikes, what’s not to like about winter? 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I love snow so bring it on. I rode my bike to work all last s=winter as usual – just fitted the studded tyres and thoroughly enjoyed overtaking all the cars on the ice and snow

sweepy
    Free Member

Well Summers over, so as far as I’m concerned we can have a week or so of orange leaves (for the laydeez) then get on with snow till march.
    Snowboard getting done up this week, awaiting new bc skis and boots, and I think im going to get some snowshoes as well. Bring it on, I love snow.

racefaceec90

i like snow.i don’t like freezing temperatures (bastid british gas rubbing their hands 😡 hmm eat or heat (did you see what i did there 😉 😡 another one for effect/damn you british gas DAMN YOU!

imnotverygood

Maybe I’m getting old but last winter was too much of a good thing. The novelty wore off & I just wanted it to get warm again. A week or so is ok but after that it became a pain in the backside.

sweepy
    Free Member

I remember last year, once it got to about -17 i could feel ice forming inside my nose.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No,

lived in Reading the last 3 years and the snow’s been mental.

1st year wasn’t so bad, lived close to work, just worked shorter days and took some holiday to compensate.

2nd winter was silly, much as I like riding round in the snow, having to ride 4 miles to work and back on solid frozen ice in the dark and -10 was just silly and resulted in a lot of crashing. The novelty of snow upto my ballsack in the fields on the way into town wore off after about a hundred meters and I realised I couldnt see where the lakes were on Whiteknights campus. Bit like russian roulette, but with frozen water and a commute to work in place of the bullet and gun.

3rd winter, digging the car out of the driveway was fun/novel the first day, after that it got reppetative.

I’d quite like a warm/dry one thankyouverymuch.

nedrapier

I love a proper winter. Bit of hardship, bit of fun. wish I lived closer to some proper hills though. I’d love to get out in the Lakes/Howgills on the splitboard. good snow cover, reasonable driving conditions and weekends never seem to co-incide!

nbt

I’m a yes man. Just bought winter tyres for the car too 😀

yunki
    Free Member

Last year was a pain in the bum cos we had to move house (self move) during the worst of it..

Shovelling four feet of snow from your new front door so that you can get the fridge freezer in is interesting.. nowhere near either our new place or our old place was high priority for snow clearing either so three weeks of driving on good hard compacted snow and ice was fun..

However.. I only got to ride a couple of times.. and my little boy was too young to appreciate it so I’d be happy for another hard winter..
    brings out the ‘war spirit’ too which is nice..

minzo
    Free Member

I was talking to a homeless fella down the park yesterday, he didn’t seem to keen on a mentally bad winter!

momo

Yeah bring it on! Having new central heating installed next week and have sorted it so I can work from home if need be. Have some nice long hills near my house (which just happens to be in a blackspot for mobile reception) so I can easily get out for a quick snowboard session during the days when I’m snowed in.

peterfile
    Free Member

my winter consists mainly of this……..so i’m super excited!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just got the Polish Plumbers in reviving the central heating with a new boiler an whatnot, so yeah – bring it on! (You know what it’s like when you get new kit)…

ahwiles
    Free Member

no thanks, my house is like an ice box when it’s only a bit chilly outside.

cupra
    Free Member

No ta, last year in particular was a PITA for a whole host of reasons.

andrewh
    Free Member

Yes please.
    If we are going to have winter lets do it properly, 3ft of snow and blue skies is so much more fun than drizzle.
    Rigid SS with 1.5 Conti Xcs is the way forward, even overtook the snowplough on the way to work last year (it’s only as good as the car it’s stuck behind :-))

rocketman
    Free Member

Yes would like it to be off the scale this year. You meet a better class of rider on the winter trails and what doesn’t kill you etc etc

Bring it on.

andytherocketeer

Yes. So long as it’s loadsa powder in the alps, but the autobahn and airports remain unaffected, so I can get there to make use of it 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yeah, all you snow botherers enjoy yourself – don’t worry about the homeless, less than able bodied, old people, poor people etc – just go out and have a frikkin good time eh.
    And don’t forget to crank your central heating up a notch or two and put on another organic herd assured merino base layer while your at it………

……….bunch of King Canutes the lot of you 🙄

Solo
    Free Member

Anyone else want a mentally bad winter

No, not really.

I’m now facing 10 weeks recovery from a crash.
    Bits of me are broken.
    NO BIKE FOR THIS YEAR, ARRRGGHHH !.

Suppose I can put up with it being cold, so long as its dry.

emsz
    Free Member

I was bloody freezing last year, but now I’ve got my damarts, bring it on. My Gran’s not looking forward to it much though

BikePawl
    Free Member

And don’t forget the farmers struggling to keep their beasts fed and alive.
    Then there’s the wildlife, little baby robins dying in the hedgerows.
    And for those of us in Scotland they are blaming the harsh winters on an increase in midgie numbers

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, it looks pretty. Yes, it’s fun for those of us who want to playu out in it.

But it’s pretty sh*t for old people, those who can’t afford to heat their houses, farmers, emergency services, wildlife, homeless.

So, on the whole, no. Well,, OK, maybe for a little bit….

rocketman
    Free Member

little baby robins dying in the hedgerows

One of the fat little feckers followed me for miles through an Arctic wilderness aka mid-Wales last year. Every time I stopped, it fluttered down and stopped a few feet away. I gave it a bit of bread from my sandwiches, it just looked at the bread and then me like I was mad.

Eventually after about 10 miles I gave it a dried apricot and I never saw it again.

molgrips
    Free Member

don’t worry about the homeless, less than able bodied, old people, poor people etc

We’re not exactly going to change anything by liking snow, are we? Well aware of those who are less fortunate, but that goes for all times of the year does it not?

ourmaninthenorth

Well aware of those who are less fortunate, but that goes for all times of the year does it not?

Would you rather be homeless in +15 degrees or -15 degrees?

Pieface

Yes, so I have a proper excuse to buy some skis

trailmonkey

no. a winter average of 13 – 16 degrees please and summer starting in early april.

tia

Stoner
    Free Member

Hypocrites!

All that hand-wringing will keep you grumpy buggers warm while homeless people suffer!

GrahamS

We’re not exactly going to change anything by liking snow, are we?

Exactly. Besides iDave was only asking about a mentally bad winter. The homeless only really suffer if it is a physically bad winter.

ransos
    Free Member

I find 2 inches of snow is about the perfect mtbing thickness – it gives enough grip so you don’t skid on the ice underneath, but is still thin enough to allow a reasonable turn of speed. So, I want a winter that gives a constant 2 inches of snow.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Where can you get cheapish snow tyres from?
    I manage commuting most of the last winter apart from a few days when it was too icy

postierich
    Free Member

Yes please we only went out for 6 days in a 14 day period before xmas! was tough mind on the delivering days.Have a van now and in a bit of a hillier! location.

Ps but your xmas presents a month before please and ease the workload on the poor posties.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Down jacket, studded tyres, new winter cycling jacket. Bring. It.

Edukator
    Free Member

A 940 millibar depression with 180+kmh wind speeds should take enough roofs off to remind people that greenhousing the planet and a higher energy atmosphere is not a good thing. Just so long as it follows the usual path across the UK and doesn’t stray too far south.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else want a mentally bad winter?’ is closed to new replies.