Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone else want a geared Scandal?
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Just wondering,if anyone else is in the market for a non slot drop out Scandal,now that they only do the slot drop out?

I enquired if they were going to get anymore of the non slot version in,but was told only if there was enough demand.

Smee
    Free Member

I would have had one but I got a rock lobster instead. Glad I did – it's great.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Which RL,Tig Team or 853?

Smee
    Free Member

Tig Team. Only had it a couple of weeks, but its already gone to the favourite mtb i've had top spot.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Always liked the look of the Tig Team but had heard that the tt length is a bit on the short side?

thomthumb
    Free Member

slot one does gears too you know…

much more versetaile imo.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

WTF? Slot dropout Scandals have a gear hanger as well.

Smee
    Free Member

I dont find it too short – run a 90mm stem on a 19" and it fits perfectly. The geometry is what makes it so good.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Not really wanting to go ss,so not sure about the lack of rear mech hangar,faffier wheel changing,and also wonder if the rear disc mount might limit brake options………….
    Otheriwse sizing and geometry are spot on.

Like the look of the RL Tig Team but the 91" is shorther than my current biek which I find a tad cramped.

Hmmmmm.Other suggestions for light but tough hardtail,that can take my existing 100mm Rebas?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Trolling Zoo Fighter – Member

I dont find it too short – run a 90mm stem on a 19" and it fits perfectly. The geometry is what makes it so good.

If you like short TTs.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Sorry should say lack or seperate mech hangar.Bent mech,frame write off?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

and 19" frame not 91"……..!!
    Suffering dyslexia today!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Not really wanting to go ss,so not sure about the lack of rear mech hangar,faffier wheel changing,and also wonder if the rear disc mount might limit brake options………….
    Otheriwse sizing and geometry are spot on.

IT HAS GOT A MECH HANGER!

As I recall the only brakes with issues are XTR, I've had Magura Louises and Hope minis on mine and they are fine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can get replaceable mech hanger for slot dropouts easy.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:-6nsTwfamPWJyM:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/dmr%2520chaintug%2520mech%2520hanger%252005.jpg

how many you realistically break?
    wheel changing not really a faff – at most involves taking the acorn of the QR and thats with funny mech & too many chain tensioners.

limits brakes only with old brakes such as C2s and avids mechanicals. iirc.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Looks like an integral mech hanger on the pic?
    So wheel removal not too bad and brake caliper mounting OK with XT M760 caliper or if I swap to Elixirs or similar?

Might yet be a goer,yet……

Smee
    Free Member

Kingtut – it fits perfectly according to my bike fitting spreadsheet that I have and I must admit that it feels like it fits perfectly. I am not a fan of short top tubes.

All I really care about is that I can make it climb well and it inspires confidence on the descents.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

TZF What size RL and how tall are you?

Smee
    Free Member

19" frame and I'm 6'1"

Olly
    Free Member

i would want a replaceable hanger on an alu frame.
    cold setting steel is fine, but alu you get one attempt at most before it becomes brittle.
    then again, if your worried about it, get a hanger banger, that replaces the QR nut, (acorn?) and goes over the mech hanger point.
    if you bash the mech it diverts the pressure down the axel. (clumsy DHers put them on big bikes iirc)

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

TZF,Im 6ft,currently riding a Giant XTC which has a 585 mm virtual tt,but have the saddle well back on the rails and lyaback post which makes the front very light when climbing.19" would seem to be the right size,but not sure about the tt…….

Can

f

s website.Do you jknow what tt length the Tig Team is?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Olly ,thats what worries me……

Smee
    Free Member

I'll go and measure it. 600mm middle to middle – not terribly accurate but not more than a couple of mm off. So around the same as a 20" scandal.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Cheers TZF.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a look on On-One the other day looking for a non-slotted Scandal and was disappointed. I don't want the versatility of a slotted drop out and its still more faff to remove the rear wheel.

There are 3 versions of Inbred (maybe more if you count 456, Summer Season, slotted, non slotted la la la) so why no non-slotted Scandal??

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else want a geared Scandal?’ is closed to new replies.