• This topic has 48 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone else trying to quit the smokes?
  • grizzlygus
    Free Member

but how did they die, GG?

Wasn’t because of smoking, was it?

You’re just nitpicking now………. that’s beside the point.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

ciggie last night when pissed. but it can be months between smokes for me, and even then it’s only one. I have to say that the levels of self rightousness on this site amazes me, given that smoking is a completely legal thing to do.

I wish people would just get off their moral highground and let other people get on with their lives.
    Frankly if other people smoke, and if it isn’t affecting your day, it’s none of your business. so **** off wagging your finger at strangers you’ll never meet, and go ride your bike!

fatty
    Free Member

i gave up smoking 8 yrs ago one hard bitch but worth it,its nice to tell people who offer you a fag that you dont,the down side is i started to eat more because i started to taste what food really tasted like and put on weight hence the fatty tag although i have lost it again.When i started my diet with weight watchers(i lost 7 stone eventually) she told me if you cheat and eat something you shouldnt or have apig out day dont beat yourself up about it just start again treat everyday as a new day and it worked best of luck

joe1983
    Free Member

Lots of different points of view flying around here, most of which reflect the choice you make when you smoke. Most smokers know it is bad for them, but choose to do it regardless. I am not going to get evangelical about quitting, just because I am trying to doesn’t mean that is going to be right for someone else. The facts however are that smokers DO die younger than non smokers (ceteris paribus), DO smell (although when you are smoking you cannot detect this), and it DOES negatively affect fitness. That said, it is also enjoyable, sociable and can be stress relieving.

Nobody has the right to judge other peoples decisions. Smokers should be able to exercise their legal right to smoke and non-smokers should rightly be protected from having to suffer the consequences of another’s choices.

Make your own mind up. I’m gonna give that book that a couple of people have suggested and see if it works. Right after my 7in Cohiba. (joke!)

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I have to say that the levels of self rightousness on this site amazes me………….I wish people would just get off their moral highground and let other people get on with their lives.

When you say amazed, do you mean you’re amazed with the very low levels of "self righteousness " ?

Because apart from BadlyWiredDog’s post where he mentions "a fine example of Darwinism in action " I can’t see any other posts (out of over 40) which might possibly be described as "self righteous".

And anyway, BadlyWiredDog has clearly not thought it through, if he had he’d realise that he’s talking bollox – most smokers have already passed on their genes on, long before they die.

Frankly if other people smoke, and if it isn’t affecting your day, it’s none of your business.

It’s kinda hard to answer the OP’s question "Anyone else struggling?" without talking about smoking.

And of course if Rudeboy, who had nothing to contribute, hadn’t made some self righteous comment about how he smokes, is extraordinarily fit, and has been told by his doctor that he will live forever, then the possibility of discord would have been somewhat reduced. No ?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Didn’t get none of that, GG. Too thick and cretinous. 🙂

Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit. And bloody spensive, too. And you have to go outside to do it. And rightly so!

And it should probably be banned.

I have no argument for smoking, tbh.

But, as I’ve said, it is still legal, and this is still a nominally ‘free’ country.

Fat people are a burden to the NHS. They probably shouldn’t eat as much, and do more exercise. All the toxic fumes pumped out by cars are poisoning our environment (I will try to be responsible about disposing of my ciggie buts, from now on, but anyone who drives a car can get fecked, as they are destroying the planet more than I am). And Jehova’s Witnesses would rather their loved ones die, than receive medical treatment.

Etc. Etc.

Until we are living in a completely totalitarian society, I will observe my right to choose how to live it, according to the law. And try to respect the choices of others.

And two fingers up to anyone who thinks otherwise.

How about this; Car drivers, can you all stop driving cars please, as the air I have to breathe is poisoned? Thanks.

No? Thought not…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

It could be argued that the choice to smoke is actually removed from the smoker once an addiction has been established (normally around 6 fags). It is still legal, as is driving a car. However, there is a purpose to most car journeys, while smoking remains a purely irrational pursuit. Obesity does present a huge burden to the NHS and society as a whole, which is why so much money and time is being invested in treatment and prevention. Still, the point of this thread wasn’t to debate whether people should smoke or not but to ask how people are coping with their quit attempt.

Don’t be mad with Rudeboy or any other smokers. Get mad with the tobacco companies and their manipulation of a large section of society.

BadlyWiredDog

You’re right Gus, it’s not strictly Darwinism. It’s more just crass strupidity. And actually, having watched my grandfather die from lung cancer caused by smoking, I’d rather other people didn’t suffer quite such a painful death. And I’d rather their friends and relatives didn’t have to watch it happen. And if that’s self righteous, then go **** spiders with your yellow-stained fingers… 😉

Del

i don’t believe many smokers anticipate smoking for the rest of their lives. for anyone who says they enjoy smoking, just concentrate on that next cigarette. inhale deeply and concentrate on the taste, and the way it makes you feel, and be honest with yourself. it’s very difficult to come up with a rational reason to smoke, beyond ‘it’s a free country’, because there really aren’t any. indeed you have a choice, and you are free to exercise it, so on that basis why would you not choose to stop?
    as drugs go it’s a pretty crap one.
    i used allen carr’s book too, as did my GF and another friend of ours – it does work for a lot of people if you’re prepared to let it.
    i’m glad i have stopped, i wish everyone who wants to stop every success, and i also remember what it was like to be a smoker. you can make that choice if you want to.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else trying to quit the smokes?’ is closed to new replies.