Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone else thinking of giving up on Smile Bank?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Been with them years, but they don’t seem to offer anything different anymore, the phone customer service is not what it used to be, and the new website (if you can call it a website) 😯 , pretty much intolerable.

High street options for me are RBS, BOS and Clydesdale, but I’ve no experience of any of those.

Is there a good website that’s a starting point for trying to decide who might be worth moving to? I know MSE is always worth a look if you’re after something specific.

matt_outandabout

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oh-dear-smile-bank

I have.
    Moved. Was given a chunk of cash to do so. Much easier to deal with, and a website I can log into and trust without constant security warnings from my browser.

Smile have even managed to c*ck up the move of a second current account however, that is the account used for our rental property, by informing new bank of incorrect information. While it is resolveable, it is a pain in the arse and time I didn’t want to spend on it.

Frustrating – even calling smile last night to faff with a payment reminded me that when you do get through to their staff, they are great.

ahsat

Can fully recommend Nationwide. I never need to go to branch as their online is so good and you can benefit from their good rates when abroad.

wayniac
    Free Member

Same here, no longer any different from the others.

That website is terrible and was rolled out with very little notice and lots of problems – final straw for me

therevokid
    Free Member

gave up on them 2 yers ago and went to Nationwide 🙂

DrP

i left them years ago too..halifax..
    Though I think ‘meh, it’s a bank’, smile, particularly their online banking system, was frankly terrible and old school…

DrP

Squirrel

Yeah, new website is terrible. I’ve got a Nationwide current account anyway, so will be dumping Smile shortly.

luket

I have to agree that new website is awful. The old one was seriously clunky by comparison with Barclays but it did the job I needed of it perfectly adequately.

I think their iOS app is fine. Hope they don’t cock that up as well – like many, I’m too lazy to change.

allthegear
    Free Member

I left last year – after being with them from year 1.

Rachel

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mixed opinions then 🙂

Ah experience of the three (nominally) Scottish ones?

That said, Nationwide were very easy to deal with for two mortgages so far….

kcal

nearly ditched RBS for Nationwide but the Reward scheme was too good to pass up. That would have meant leaving RBS who I’d been with since 1981 !! To me it was partly because even when I was away from home branch, I could call up home branch and stuff would be done on a phone call okay – paperwork tidied up later. I think that has changed but I was still able to call the bank manager directly on mobile to get stuff sorted until very very recently.

mrchrispy

the are not ethical…its ran by a hedge fund and muppets.
    get out as soon as you can.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else thinking of giving up on Smile Bank?’ is closed to new replies.