Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Anyone else taken to sleeping in the garden to survive the heatwave ?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Here’s my set up from last nights kip in the garden:

[/url]2017-06-21_08-49-55 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

I’m bivi curios and currently this is as close as i’ve got. Glamivvng 😀

elzorillo
    Free Member

One word.. ‘Mozzies’ !!!

woody2000

Sleeping in a paddling pool is a bit much. How hot is it?! 😉

toby1

Thought the pool was an elaborate headboard initially!

And no, the birds kick in as soon as sun rises which is noisy enough in the house, let alone the garden.

rocketman
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ6j-hZtfNE[/video]

darrell
    Free Member

12 C here

jimdubleyou

Was tempted last night, but I haven’t worked out how to get my mossie net to work around the hammock yet.

Eyemask and earplugs work wonders for light/bird issues.

ferrals
    Free Member

I sometimes sleep on the floor when its really hot, find hard surface cooler than a mattress.

Our 6 month old is not enjoying the heat at all. For the first time in my life I want it to cool down.

qwerty
    Free Member

No mozzies last night, instead there was a nice breeze. Ear plugs stopped the high volume dawn chorus & people walking by, but i do love the sound of peacocks at dawn & dusk.

I dowsed the cat with a damp cloth & paddling pool dip yesterday – he wasn’t keen – but didn’t protest as much as i was expecting, he seemed better after his dip!

willard

I was considering it last night and only stopped when I realised I would have to do DIY to hitch up the hammock. I’m planning on fixing eye bolts in the bricks to allow me to do that this weekend.

Tonight is a different matter. I’ll be wild camping if I can get round to it. Should be a lot cooler.

TiRed

Windows and bedroom doors open to create air flow. Upstairs and downstairs to remove hot air out of the loft windows with natural AC. Wasn’t so bad last night. Forget the dawn chorus, we have LHR air traffic but it’s easy to ignore.

Working at home sat on the decking under a sun awning watching the planes land. What’s not to like?

Camelback Forge drinking flask filled with ice and water taken to bed.

stevied
    Free Member

Grass needs a cut 😉

yetidave
    Free Member

fixing eye bolts in the bricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkC4Y9HnSNc

carefully!

tjagain

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy_B6AeuKI[/video]

Wookster

Id be a bloodless corpse if I tried that in our garden, the missives and midges would drain me dry! Even cut the grass did all of the need outside stuff in the middle of the day so I didn’t get eaten! Lovely idea though!

Coyote
    Free Member

Come on, it’s not that bad! How do you guys survive if you go on holiday somewhere really warm?

weeksy

Come on, it’s not that bad! How do you guys survive if you go on holiday somewhere really warm?

Get drunk 🙂 pass out

northernmatt

If you’d tried that up here you would have got woken up by a thunderstorm and torrential rain at about 5am

P-Jay
    Free Member

I floated the idea last night, Mrs wasn’t keen.

Last night was the worst in a long time, 2009 was the last time I recall being that hot and sweaty, and then I had morphine to knock me out.

Before that it was a Rain Forrest in Oz, but we had fans and stuff.

It’s the humitity, 85% last night

ransos
    Free Member

Sit in the shade with a good book and a cold beer. Not really an option at work…

jimdubleyou

Places that are really warm usually have aircon.

loddrik
    Free Member

Still under my 15tog duvet.

footflaps

Slept with all the windows open plus a large fan aimed at the bed to keep a constant airflow….

CountZero

Id be a bloodless corpse if I tried that in our garden, the missives and midges would drain me dry! Even cut the grass did all of the need outside stuff in the middle of the day so I didn’t get eaten! Lovely idea though!

I was out the back cutting the grass nearly two weeks ago, and I kept feeling little stinging sensations, and saw these little black flies.
    I’ve now got horribly itchy big red blotches on my legs and arms that won’t go away, so bugger sleeping out the back for a lark!
    Plus I’d probably wake up suffocating only to find one of the neighbourhood cats asleep on my face.
    Or trying to eat me, they’ve already had a couple of the local wood pigeons, there’s feathers everywhere.

zippykona

I slept like a log we get good airflow through our Windows.
    Even had to close them.
    I am however considering going commando.

bob_summers

Old stone built house here, so it’s cooler inside than out (for now). 28º outside at midnight last night according to the thermometer stuck to the window. Now climbing towards high 30s.

beej

Garage at the bottom of the house is half underground. 15C at the back of that. I’ve not resorted to sleeping there but was tempted to set up when working from home yesterday. WiFi is good down there too, has to be for the turbo trainer/Zwift/Netflix set-up.

molgrips
    Free Member

I hope you are all closing windows and curtains during the day to keep your house cool for the evening..?

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s 15°C and raining outside – this heatwave thing is a myth

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve fallen asleep in my hammock a couple of times now and have just been left in the garden until I wake up!

Last night was actually quite pleasant/ Tonight is going to be grim though. Definitely need some rain to freshen things up a bit.

tang
    Free Member

My normally freezing study at the back of the house against a bank is lovely right now, I’ve got a spare bed in there.
    When we lived in India everyone slept on the roofs under a mozie net to catch the night breeze. I’ve been in a heatwave there that got over 50deg! We slept inside but had the ceiling fan full blast and poured buckets of water on the floor. No ac then.

wwaswas

and poured buckets of water on the floor.

And *this* is why the plasterboard doesn’t go all the way down to the floor!

wilburt
    Free Member

Halfords have some camp beds for £25 which very good, tried one at the weekend in a tent in the garden and it was my best nights sleep of the week.

km79
    Free Member

Cooler inside than outside for me.

whitestone
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s the lack of air moving around the body when we sleep that’s the problem? The mattress and duvet conform to our bodies which is fine in cooler temps as that’s basically what we want but in hot, muggy conditions there needs to be movement of air to take heat away. Lying on some form of mesh material would provide that.

siwhite
    Free Member

Spare a thought for those working night shifts. I’ve been working 2200 – 0700 since Monday.

Went to sleep at about 8am and woke in a sweaty mess at 11am – promptly went for a swim in the river to cool down. Nothing since then, and unlikely now as the family are all back home.

Perhaps I’ll sneak in a nap at work tonight…

revs1972
    Free Member

Sit in the shade with a good book and a cold beer. Not really an option at work…

Would raise a few eyebrows sat at the desk in your budgie smugglers too 😉

theotherjonv

It’s ok, the wife has taken care of it. Just forked out on some fancy fan, it’ll be thermals on by tomorrow.

If you need rain, I’ll get my summer tyres out of the shed shortly.

oldracer
    Free Member

wilburt
    Free Member

Sat in my favorite garden chair now feet up, could be me for the night( or at least an hour or two) .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else taken to sleeping in the garden to survive the heatwave ?’ is closed to new replies.