Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • anyone else take bikes on family camping holidays?
  • smogmonster

Just wondering really…usually take a road and/or mtb with me wherever we go, depending on whats more likely to get used locally. I usually find it a little stressful leaving them in a tent whilst we do the family daytime sightseeing and beach things. I try to make sure theyre locked to something awkward and noisy to make life a little harder, and most campsites are busy anyway so any potential thief would have to be pretty bloody sharpish and quiet as a mouse. Ive just seen these camping ground anchors:

http://www.spyrabase.co.uk/product_info.php?ID=9707

Has anyone used one? How easy were they to get in the ground and also remove when leaving? They look almost too good to be true. Itd certainly ease that feeling of dread each time we ge back and I have to open the tent to see if the bikes are still there….

RoterStern
    Free Member

We take all the family’s bikes with us when we go on camping holidays (that’s six bikes in total). I always lock them togther with one of those Abus Granit flex locks which is about a metre long. My bike stays locked away either in our van (T5) or now that we have a camper in the back storage area. But campsites in Europe these days are real targets for bike theives as they know a lot of rich older people have expensive ebikes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my bikee doesnt leave the van unless im on it.

as for the link you posted – surely that would only work for heavy items….

thinking as a theif all he needs todo is pick up the bike and his mate turns the “lock anchor” with a bar….

the-muffin-man

Ground anchor on a campsite – you normally have enough trouble just trying to drive a tent peg in!

My rule was if the bikes can’t stay in the car, they can’t go.

milky1980
    Free Member

…and most campsites are busy anyway so any potential thief would have to be pretty bloody sharpish and quiet as a mouse.

Don’t fall into the trick of thinking that a busy area is safe! The more general noise there is the easier it is to hide what you are up to, especially if they’re inside a tent.

Best bit of advice I was given was to either ask the campsite owner/manager if there was somewhere secure you could lock the bikes up in (beer money helps masively!) or if you do have to lock up on your pitch then make friends with the people around you so that they are more likely to notice someone else taking interest. Caravanners are good at noticing anything untoward going on, especially the elderly couple who rarely leave the site.

NewRetroTom

trail_rat

I think it has two corkscrews with opposite spirals, so when locked together you can’t twist them out.

ransos
    Free Member

We always take our bikes, and just d-lock them all together. It wouldn’t stop them all being loaded into a van I suppose, but other than that I think it’s fairly secure.

molgrips
    Free Member

Another advantage of caravans – you can lock them to the chassis 🙂

chomp
    Free Member

always take the families 4 bikes with us when we go – usually lock them all together to a tree if one is near us (or if not I leave them locked to the towbar rack that’s either chained to something or attached to the car)

My bike isn’t particularly expensive (prob worth £500 now or so) and goes between the wifes horrible thing and the kids. I’m more worried about the kids just biking around and leaving them while they go tree climbing/investigating and the other stuff kids do when they’re let off the leash to be honest.

(I should be more worried – but can’t be arsed)

lunge

Not now but we always did as a family when on Eurocamp holidays, we wouldn’t have been without them.

We used to lock them to a tent pole inside the tent. The theory being that if someone wanted them we’d either hear them in the tent or feel the tent moving.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘anyone else take bikes on family camping holidays?’ is closed to new replies.