Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Anyone else stopped racing since strava?
  • IanW
    Free Member

Taking your post on face value- why not post a link to your Strava profile, I bet you will soon find those KOM’s more challenging?

Hobster
    Free Member

If you’ve been in the bike industry all your life when did you find time to be in the Paras?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s know wonder some of you struggle out on the trails with such a negative mind.

Yeah that must be it. If only I could think more positively those Strava KOMs would come flowing in without me even having to do any work. In fact I’m trying to think more positively right now – as in testing positive for virtual epo…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cbmotorsport
    Free Member

richmtbguru – Member

Tony, I used to row in the army, could have quite easily made the Olympic team, this alone will tone most of the body muscles without lifting weights which would just bulk you up! Unless you did more reps but you’d be still only isolating your muscle groups, rowing gets the lot while also good for cardio, I was also a gym instructor in the forces.

Swoon. I didn’t think real life heroes existed anymore. When I grow up…

zilog6128

If you’ve been in the bike industry all your life when did you find time to be in the Paras?

richmtbguru in his younger years:

creedy
    Free Member

I honestly think this is the funniest thread ive ever seen!
    Flame away!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Richmtbguru, do you surf too?

twinklydave

Please display your Strava profile, so that I can take all your KOMS.

Unless you’re chicken*.

*Or live very far away from me

clubber
    Free Member

Tony, I used to row in the army, could have quite easily made the Olympic team,

Interesting. I used to row quite a lot too. I might have just about been able to scrape into the Olympic team if I’d focussed on rowing above all else but didn’t fancy it given that I’d have been an also-ran at that level.

I’d suggest that almost no one can ‘quite easily’ get in the GB rowing team and if they could they’d have been right at the top of the squad and therefore pretty much guaranteed Olympic medals. As such, I’m very surprised that you’d have turned down that opportunity.

Also, from what I recall, the Army never really put out any decent crews though possibly I’ve missed the odd year that they did?

I’m genuinely interested in who you are though as we probably have friends in common given the GB team connection.

Northwind

I do like a good walt-hunt

dragon
    Free Member

Is the OP one of the GB worlds road team?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

rich ignore all the h8ters your my hero ! Can you send me personally signed print out of all your KOMs from Stava ?

Thanks your no1. fan ! 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

He was a competitive XC skiier as well. There can’t have been THAT many people skiing and rowing for the Army whilst always being in the bike industry (and running a 1h 23min marathon).

A new AWESOME for sure. I want to be coached by him.

RustySpanner

Surely the OP is just a comedy alter ego?

Profile:….

I suppose I’m like the ray mears of the biking world!

He’s very good though.
    Wonder who he is?

clubber
    Free Member

Well, we have to assume it’s somewhat tounge-in-cheek 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

Taking your post on face value- why not post a link to your Strava profile, I bet you will soon find those KOM’s more challenging?

This… If you’re epic let’s see how epic so we can challenge you again and you can work hard to beat those KOMs.

TooTall
    Free Member

On STW, I always assume the worst and that he is out there somewhere, like a supersuperhero on his Scott Genius!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I think the OP is the male (possibly) version of an almost Rebecca Romero judging by their sporting past.

nickc

Got to be troll.

Did a search a while back for coaching using the name, nada.

Although Rich if you’re reading this, you’re not far from where I ride, happy to meet up if you fancy a blast around the woods

prawny

This

It’s know wonder some of you struggle out on the trails with such a negative mind

Reminds me of this

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s the not knowing which hurts the most 😡

I would also naturally assume troll, but I used to work with a guy who pretty much ticks all these boxes, so I know people like this exist in the wild. He’d done it all, could have been anything he wanted to be… So why are you working as a dogsbody for the council then? Oh yes, because you’re a self-delusional, pathological liar. Not casting any aspersions on the OP, just my experiences.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

richmtbguru – Member
    Strava is not the place to prove you are quick, as it can be jigged, saying this I make a kom every time I go out on the bike, I never bothered using strava until one of my clients recommended me using it, a few of my clients would always tell me how fast I was on the bike, I never told them I could have been a pro!
    My recent stat is 1/6547, this was a climb the same day I came 1/4299 on descent, this is a regular pattern,
    I’m very passionate about my riding and have never had anyone overtake me on a climb or descent.
    I have over 300 koms since being on strava 8 month ago, needless to see why I teach m

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

user-removed – Member

It’s the not knowing which hurts the most

I would also naturally assume troll, but I used to work with a guy who pretty much ticks all these boxes, so I know people like this exist in the wild. He’d done it all, could have been anything he wanted to be… So why are you working as a dogsbody for the council then? Oh yes, because you’re a self-delusional, pathological liar. Not casting any aspersions on the OP, just my experiences.

That’s the thing, there are some very special/talented/gifted individuals ou there who can turn their hand to anything and excel at it.

I think we should be proud that one of them graces this very forum.

It’s clear there’s a few on here that are probably a bit jealous, stuck working the 9-5, chasing KOMs well above their level, never getting anywhere close.

GEDA
    Free Member

Strava. In the end even if you do it without “digital aids” it comes down to who went biking on the windiest day. I can never beat my commute time now as it was, for example, blowing 40kph the day I got it. It was a bugger on the way home though.

Is this the gurus secret weapon?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rah3_K7Er2U[/video]

Or is he doing another remake as Gaylord Mitty?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntATWJl6Yl0[/video]

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Do people actually take Strava seriously?

My Mum has some KOM’s. She’s 68, 18 stone and hasn’t been on a bike for around 60 years but she does drive her Nissan Micra very slowly, particularly up steep hills. In fact she is only just quicker than some of the local fast boy roadies… 🙂

If you are any good, then prove it and beat people by racing them between the tapes. Otherwise it’s just internet willy waving.

Oh, and I have put far more back into mountain biking than you. In fact I have donated a kidney to each of the Athertons.

clubber
    Free Member

richmtbguru, yesterday 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Oh and I’ve donated two kidneys to each of the Athertons.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s because of comedy gold like this I still trawl through hundreds of pages of whining drivel…….daily.
    If Dickyguru,Smurfmatt,Kaesae and the other mental one who advertised for a mechanic were in the same room would their combined awesomeness/delusion/positive vibes start nuclear fusion.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just been reading richmtbguru’s previous posts, I really can’t decide if he’s for real, can anyone really be that awesome? 😕

Strava. In the end even if you do it without “digital aids” it comes down to who went biking on the windiest day.

This. Or whether you pushed it chain ganging with a bunch of mates on a club ride, etc. It’s mostly just this…

internet willy waving.

I do upload occasionally to share and chat about new routes with friends, but for any sort of meaningful analysis I find it quite limited (you may get more if you go pro I guess.) I use TrainingPeaks instead. Am occasionally sucked into the KOM thing but largely try and ignore it as it’s just a distraction from training (which probably makes me sound really dull.)

Edit: Oh and to answer the OPs question. Having a proper race against real people is fun. Waiting for a windy day to go out and ride some segment so that you can take a KOM off some random anonymous internet person isn’t. IMO anyway.

creedy
    Free Member

Hmmm i may know who this is! but i may not so cant comment

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmmm i may know who this is! but i may not so cant comment

His previous posts almost seem credible. Has he really spent a year cultivating that persona before unleashing this thread?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Exactly mrblobby. Had a look through his previous posts and he seems to know his stuff. The post below for example, it’s not the sort of stuff you can just make up on the spot, that sort of knowledge comes from time and experience in the trade

richmtbguru – Member

Absolutely! One thing I always made sure my clients would do before a race was to go through it in their heads the night before, spend a few hours going down a local downhill course in your head and visualise yourself going around the berm, feel every bump going around, try to make it as relaxing as possible, perhaps put some soothing music on in the background. Make sure to kill your speed before the berm, and learn to throw your hips into it, once you’ve mastered this technique in your head you then need to put it into practice out on the course, always check you have adequate grip on your pedals or if wearing spds make sure they’re not too tight as you may need to get them out early while going around, the berm. Good luck with your task and always wear a helmet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Borderline credible, though I think my judgement might be clouded by desperately wanting him to be for real 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

I used to work with a guy who pretty much ticks all these boxes

Ah – you’ve worked with Johnny Two-Sheds as well? If you’ve had a wee on the hard shoulder he’s had a dump in the fast lane. Same bloke?

clubber
    Free Member

Everyone knows that bloke. If you don’t it’s you.

Dave was my one. If you asked him how he was, he’d reply ‘better than you’. 😉

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

If richmtbguru has more than a borderline personality disorder, I wouldn’t want to run into him out in the woods on my own. You see plenty of weird people on bikes as it is 🙂

MrOvershoot

You have to hand it to him he’s been crafting the same online persona for some time, that takes stamina 😉

stcolin
    Free Member

“always wear a helmet”

Sounds like a pisstake to me. If he is the sensation he says he is, he should have no problem in identifying himself.

zilog6128

You have to hand it to him he’s been crafting the same online persona for some time, that takes stamina

Seems a shame to throw it all away for this though. Only 3 pages so far, hardly an übertroll that will be talked about for years to come!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else stopped racing since strava?’ is closed to new replies.