Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone else snapped the lever of a Maxle through axle?
  • maxtorque

I’m never broken any bit off a bike before (when not crashing said bike), but yesterday the lever of a 15mm Maxle literally snapped off in my hand as i did it up! #dontknowmyownstrength

Luckily we had a fully stocked bike shop less than 6 feet away to save the day and said owner of the maxle was very understanding…….. :mrgreen:

Anyone else managed this?

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve had the Ring part with the cut-out of the Maxle bend … it’s bent back though not sure how long it will last.
    The lever has an attachment that came loose as well and it wasn’t until I stopped and looked one day I realised you can tighten it with an allen key… (somewhat surprised it wasn’t some odd TORX bolt it being SRAM and all)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Maxtorque excedes himself shocker

maxtorque

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Northwind

Yup- there’s really very little metal in it- it didn’t snap so much as just gently give up. Replaced it with a stealth.

PS,

maxtorque

That’s ^^^ one for GMBN’s Dirt Shed Show ‘Hack n’ Bodges’ segment surely! 😆

woody74

Yup first time I have ever had my bike serviced in a shop and exactly the same happened to me. What makes it worse is the day light robbery they charges for a replacement.

nickdavies

Cougar wins today’s internet – I’m not sure that still qualifies as quick release, mind you…
    I’d probably have just put the Allen key in a pocket.

Northwind

You can’t just torque the maxle down like a bolt, once the lever’s snapped- the cam’s left “always open” and it won’t tighten down far enough, so the allen key there is basically closing the quick release.

It’s a pretty elite level bodge tbh but I’m pretty sure ChrisL who was riding with me that day expected to come round the corner and find me sans wheel, and face…

(also I am not Cougar. If I were, I’d have banned everyone)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d heard of the old maxel dying but not the newer maxel ultimate until a guy at work mentioned it. Now they seem to be popping left right and centre.

nickc

I snapped a more or less brand new (used for about a month or so) ultimate rear Maxle by looking at it sternly. Replaced with the older style one, and it’s been rock steady.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Northwind have you taken to vlose ups of forks to hide the fact your forks upside down?

razorrazoo

Yep, I have, posted about it a few months back, had to bodge with a screw and gaffer tape in order to ride that day. Mine snapped at the head of the pin which is attached to the lever, there’s not a lot of metal in that part.

I was advised that the lever should be able to be closed pretty easily, rather than the axle cranked up and the lever need a bit of force to push down (like an old school QR).

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yup I also posted about it too a few months back. Managed to break the collar on mine the first time I used it then the rear one disintegrated completely a month later. I have been super careful with them since but I haven’t had to use them in a race situation yet when the adrenaline is flowing. They really are pretty crap, aren’t they? I have the DT Swiss designed thru axle on my crosser and it is so easy to operate even if you have two left thumbs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else snapped the lever of a Maxle through axle?’ is closed to new replies.