Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Anyone else seemingly hypnotized by a brand?
  • crazy-legs

I’ve got a lot of Endura and Rapha kit, have to be a bit careful sometimes that I don’t go out looking like a catalogue model.

I wouldn’t say I particularly choose it over other stuff, it just tends to be good and fit well.

ross980
    Free Member

The closest I’ve got is Gore-Tex shoes/boots:
    Biking shoes. Work shoes x2 . Steel-toe cap Work boots (free issue though). Walking boots. Salomon trainers. Northface trainers.

RustySpanner

edhornby – Member

Rusty you met my tailor then ?

not all of the aldi stuff is great, but the shorts, winter bibs, winter gloves jacket and the socks are good

Bugger, forgot the 2 pairs of winter gloves and a dozen pairs of the socks – all good.
    The ‘merino’ tops were a bit rubbish though.

br
    Free Member

Went round the house yesterday and counted “Apple” products… 17 of them! Between three of us! “North Face” stuff is a close second in this household… How the hell did that happen? Hypnotic suggestion? OCD?

A bit of a contridiction, you start off middle class (Apple) and then plummet into ChavsVille…

And for me, probably XTR 😀

duntmatter
    Free Member

x several.
    Chucked out 9 pairs last year.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Patagonia all the way. Yvon Choinaird is a legend, and spawns beautiful surfer boys.

Cougar

Y’know, even after cribbing this thread for ideas, I’m struggling to think of anything I have that falls into this category.

My AV kit is Yamaha, Toshiba, Paradigm; before I decommissioned all the legacy kit I also had Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony. Our laptops are Dell and Samsung, GF’s old PC is Mesh, phones are HTC and Apple.

Consoles-wise, I’ve been in different camps over the years; Sony (PS1 / PS2), Nintendo (GameCube), Sega (Dreamcast), and currently Microsoft (Xbox 360).

Clothing wise I guess I’m partial to Levis, at a guess I’m probably got three serviceable pairs. T-shirts are all over the place, from Matalan three-for-a-fiver specials to lastexittonowhere.com and various band / tour tees. I don’t own sufficient pairs of footwear for any patterns to form, because I’m male and straight.

Bike gear is mongrel too, my lid matches my bike I suppose. My climbing gear is whatever I happened to buy at the time, I don’t even know offhand what most of it is.

Thinking about it, I guess I’ve never really bowed to brand loyalty, I try to make informed decisions when I buy something. Either that or I have ADD.

iDave
    Free Member

All my cars and yachts are Bentley and Sunseeker.

Intense-Pilot

Endura overload for 10 years – 8 jackets, 6 MT500 tops, 6 pairs of MT 500 longs, 8 pairs of MT500 shorts, 5 pairs of Singletrack baggies, Thermal bibclips, Humvees, knee warmers, leg warmers and gloves. Also converted my riding buddies (and LBS). However, bought 2 merino tops – a baabaa – rubbish – and a Halcyon which shrunk to my son’s size after just 6 washes (all at the right termperature) and Endura didn’t want to know. That’s customer loyalty misplaced for you – going elsewhere now.

every single one of my quiver of bikes is a boardman

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano for me… 4 1/2 (nearly 5) bikes covered in the stuff! Gears, brakes, the lot… Only place I break the pattern is I prefer the action of Crank Bros pedals (with Shimano shoes mind!)

Maverick… Weened myself off slightly, used to have 3 sets of their forks as well as a frame. Sold off 2 sets of forks and various spare front hubs now, just got the Durance with a DUC32 up front. Excellent bikes though…

Apple… Got 3 Mac’s and an iPhone!

Bench Jeans… Last umpteen pairs have been Bench, before that it was always **** Jeans.

Vans… Only got a couple of pairs at the mo, and ironically my main trainers are a pair of Nike 6.0’s at the mo, but over the last 15 years or so I’ve almost kept Vans going myself I reckon!

VW… Last 3 cars have been VW’s, pretty sure the next one will be too! Though I’ve owned a few Beemers in the past too

Ducati… I only own one (and a pair of Ducati Oakleys), but I have owned it for 8 years now. In that time it has only been on the road for 4 years, has covered less than 4000 miles. But it is NEVER EVER getting sold! It is an ultra rare, original condition, 1996 748SP, the bike Ducati homologated to go World Supersport racing with (which they subsequently won). When I’ve got some money, I’m going to treat the bike to a full factory fresh rebuild (possibly with an 853 engine conversion) and get it back on the road and use it. This bike will go to the grave with me!

Oakleys… Got 4 pairs. Would be lots more but they’re damned expensive, and I don’t like paying full price for a luxury!

Pioneer… Wouldn’t use DJ kit made by anyone else!

Sennheiser… Wouldn’t use anyone else’s headphones!

And that’s about it… I think! 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I bet TJ doesn’t. Apart from own label baked beans – his cupboard is rammed with them.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Whyte’s, Whyte 19 alloy SS, Whyte 19 Race, Whyte 19 Ti SS, Whyte E-5 😳

Maverick forks here too, SC32’s on all the bikes above plus my son’s Marin and I have a spare pair in a box in the garage (for a future project). 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

There’s a fair few hypnotees of a soppy little cartoon animal, does it count as a ‘brand’ ????

crackhead
    Free Member

Know a lot of people who are hypnotised by Brant Richards

robdob
    Free Member

Know a lot of people who are hypnotised by Brant Richards

I have no idea why.

momo

Stussy – I have about 20 T’s and a few hoodies

Oakley – 6 Pairs at present (including my reading glasses)

Vans – Only 5 pairs at the moment, plus snowboard boots (had a clear out a couple of months ago and threw out 4 pairs)

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 cycling tops, 3 pairs of merino legwarmers and a pair of lycra shorts all by Lab-Gear. Not because of the brand name, but because it is excellent stuff. (check Ebay)

Use a fair bit of Nike stuff for commuting. Mostly cos it can be bought cheap on Ebay and on JE James site. And it lasts for years.

Oh yeah, Sombrio – 5 t-shirts and a coat. Plus 1 pair socks and sweatbands.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

willard

I feel so small now… I don’t think i have more than two of any type of brand at home. MacBook Pro and iPhone, that’s it. Only one pair of Levis, two pairs of Vans, two CZs, one Beretta.

I do now want to go out and get more branded stuff just to make up the numbers…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont really like brands, or buying excessive amounts of T-Shirts and shoes

Irish_AL
    Free Member

Gola harriers far to many pairs and some in colours which really shouldnt be worn in public, even several conversations with my daughter who thinks I may want to try a different brand of trainers, but she’s not happy if i suggest she buy’s (bank of dad) something other than converse all stars.

ourmaninthenorth

Many brands do hypnotize me, that’s for sure.

But very few of them are within my budget or desire to spend out on.

However, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that quality over quantity has to be the future.

tony_m
    Free Member

Guilty as charged, definitely when it comes to bikes (On-One / Planet-X), and outdoor clothing – it used to be all Craghoppers, then I changed allegiance to Berghaus, and now I’m a Paramaniac… 😳

ourmaninthenorth

Mind you, there is always Shimano. 6 x bikes means lots of their stuff.

thomthumb
    Free Member

on one and alpkit.

bivvy kit normall consists of alpkit drybags, sleeping bag, bivvibag, & mug.

greenboy
    Free Member

Assos and Castelli, Oakley…yum!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I only buy Apollo bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

3 Konas
    2 Oranges
    4 pairs of Oakleys
    REI own brand clothing
    North face
    Colombia

However most of it’s availability driven. My LBS with all the bike stock is a Kona/Orange dealer, Mrs Grips’ folks live near a North Face/Colombia factory outlet. The Oakley thing is a quest to find the perfect pair of shades.

There are several brands I love but don’t have much of their stuff yet for cost reasons. Marmot and Assos for two 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I only smoke Cutters Choice.

Shandy
    Free Member

I’m sure Assos produce great gear, and I quite like the look of some of it, but “sponsor yourself”, seriously?!

convert

A bit of a contridiction, you start off middle class (Apple) and then plummet into ChavsVille[North FACE]…

I might be a bit behind the times here but when did North Face get taken over by “chavsville”? NF, like Helly Hansen, used to be a very middle class, expensive niche active wear brand sold to people in the know who wanted quality mountaineering (or sailing in the case of HH) kit. They both still produce superb kit for their original markets. Now that it is also being worn by “townies” is it now considered a faux par to be seen in this kit? If you care what others think that is….

owainga

I tend to find someone who makes good stuff that I can trust then buy their kit when I need something they sell.

Lenovo Thinkpad laptops (I have three, work with computers).
    Hope bike kit.
    Endura bike clothing.

Suppose normally I’ll just buy the best I can afford, but for some stuff it’s nice to have a default choice.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Now that it is also being worn by “townies” is it now considered a faux par to be seen in this kit?

I believe certain people will look down on you for wearing it.

I’m sure the ‘wrong sort’ of people will move onto another niche brand soon and the TNF will get the STW endorsement again.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Got 3 pairs of oakleys and only seem to wear nike trainers so them i guess.

Bit of a Apple fan with mac,ipods and iphone.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got a Kenwood Chef and almost every attachment for it. And a Kenwood amp, so I guess that makes me kenwood fanboi. Not as shiny as an iPhone, but makes better cakes

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the chef, not the amp before I incur some STW pedant rage

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Roderick Charles – 4 suits and a scarily large number of shirts at last count
    Oakley – An uncalled for amount. Does anyone else make sunglasses? (Picking up my new goggles this week!)
    Volvo – OK, so I’m only on my second, but they really are ace!
    Smartwool socks – Half a sockdrawer full of ’em roughly! Six pairs of lightweight bike ones, same of midweight walking socks and six pairs of ski socks at last count.

5lab

wierd, I’m seemingly the opposite of this as well..

cars – had several volvos, but recently (in the last 5 years) only a ford and a mazda

bikes – currently run rock shox and marzocchi forks, shimano and sram drivetrain, on NS Bikes, Cannondale, Orange, Specialized, Sunn, Kona frames (no 2 from one brand)

computers – a dell pc, used to have a shuttle, an old thinkpad that was thrown out by work

phones – had nokias, now have a blackberry

hifi – real mix – ipod with Yamaha\Cambride Audio\Scandyna amps, mission\monitor audio\Scandyna speakers

tvs – samsung, sony, LG, got something crap from argos in the loft, used to have a big toshiba crt

consoles – I suppose I do have a PS2 and a PS3. But then I had an (old)xbox and a gamecube as well :S

I quite like plainlazy t-shirts. Probably have 5. there ya are. guilty

senorj

Gore bike wear & Shimano here.

Oh ! and Orange and Hope.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else seemingly hypnotized by a brand?’ is closed to new replies.