Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone else sad the Union flag (aka Union Jack) will phase out ?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I presume if Scotland and Wales leave the UK it will also be the end of the Union flag as it would not be appropriate for any country to use it any more.

Anyone else feel sad it might go? Its quite a pretty flag as flags go. I guess this years Olympics might be close to its last ever large scale use?

druidh
    Free Member

Wales aren’t represented on the flag anyway, so who would notice?

konabunny
    Free Member

I think you’re worrying too early.

Cougar

Am I sad about something you’ve just made up? Not really.

philconsequence
    Free Member

do we get a new flag to use in its place… i hope its not that horrible st georges cross that them in that EDL and the likes have used to the point it represents nasty things.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

scuzz
    Free Member

I’m as sad about it as I am sad about the fact the Singletrack forum is closing down.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You are welcome to keep it.

chewkw
    Free Member

scuzz – Member
    I’m as sad about it as I am sad about the fact the Singletrack forum is closing down.

What is your backup plan if there is no STW forum?

I will nuke the world if there is no STW forum … 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

We’ll need a new flag.

Something that accurately represents England in the 21st Century.

Perhaps a collage featuring an obese child eating a McDonalds’, a pregnant teen smoking a fag, binge drinker having a fight with a policeman, some youths setting fire to a high street and running off with a TV … all the things that England does well …

rkk01
    Free Member

EDL and the likes have used to the point it represents nasty things

Red cross on a white ground – despised through some parts of the world for centuries

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I did not make this up – its a logical conclusion if Scotland leave the Union. Must any thought be ‘made up’ if its not mentioned in the newspapers first? Scotland leaving has been much debated of late. I see no reason why Wales would not go for independence if Scotland does.
    Either way, I cant see how anyone can go on using the Union flag if there ends up being no union. The flag cannot be seen as owned by England alone. Its whole point is as a representation of union.

The thought came to mind as I saw an interpretation of the flag on a building yesterday. It just crossed my mind that it might not be around much longer.

I dont fancy the George flag (given I live in England I presume thats what would become my national flag). I would be happy to dump the national anthem though, if there was a chance of getting shot of it. Egotistical and depressing sounding music/song.

philconsequence
    Free Member

indeed rkk01! i’m not keen on it, shame we’ve got very short memories about what we’ve done to other countries and their populations in the past.

i vote we get a new flag, something representing the new world we live in.

poly
    Free Member

I don’t see why if Scotland left the Union that the rest of the Union would necessarily want to change its flag (obviously the origins of the union flag include the saltire – but it doesn’t need unpicked).

I think you are also massively optimistic (?) if you think the 2012 olympics will be the last major sporting occassion for the UK (as it currently stands) even if the earlier of the two referendum dates were selected and got a Yes vote. It won’t even be the last summer olympics.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

chewkw – cut straight to an image of a crumpled beer can for the working classes and a pound sign for the bankers? 🙂

Drac

indeed rkk01! i’m not keen on it, shame we’ve got very short memories about what we’ve done to other countries and their populations in the past.

Same can be said for Union Flag though or indeed many countries that haven’t changed their flags for centuries. Why change a countries flag for actions that took places generations ago?

philconsequence
    Free Member

tru dat, tru dat.

my response would be…. why not? 😀

everyone loves it when things get redesigned 😆

DezB
    Free Member

something representing the new world we live in.

Like this?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Well, I am not generally into sport, so have low awareness of sporting events and their timing.

Actually if the flag did phase out, I guess in turn it would mess up some other countries flags as I think the Union flag is included in parts of some of them?

I wonder if England would still try to retain being called ‘United Kingdom’ or ‘Great Britain’ as they are union related names as well, and I guess as much belonging to Scotland as any other bit?

Moses

The royal coat of arms retained the fleur-de-lys for centuries after we lost our French connection; there’s no reason to change the flag if we don’t want to. I say we: Northern Ireland will be part of the reduced UK, too.

Midnight, possibly, but (for instance) Hawaii has kept its early version of the union flag for 200 years. I think that it has a pre-Irish version, just England & Scotland flags combined.

rkk01
    Free Member

I was think more of the religious crusades pursued by the European christian monarchies. certainly not “English”, but a very strong association with the red cross.

philconsequence
    Free Member

can we get the people who designed the 2012 olympic logo to design a new flag?

Drac

I was think more of the religious crusades pursued by the European christian monarchies. certainly not “English”, but a very strong association with the red cross.

What this one?

Cougar

I did not make this up – its a logical conclusion if Scotland leave the Union. Must any thought be ‘made up’ if its not mentioned in the newspapers first?

It’s a logical conclusion in your head, and nowhere else; the first two words in your OP were “I presume”. Ergo, you made it up, and then presented it here as fact. On the upside, you’ve a promising career ahead of you as a journalist.

There are no plans to change the Union Flag, a national emblem which has been in place for a couple of hundred years. All other things aside, the cost of rebranding alone would probably be sufficient reason not to change it.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

George cross also looks a bit ‘First Aid Centre’.
    Though at this rate with the budget coming up, we may have more need of receiving it than giving it 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

My personal favourite

Followed by this

ocrider

What Phil said up there about those wonderful people who gave us the London Olympics logo….

Marvellous idea. I’d love to see what they could come up with 😉

druidh
    Free Member

There would have to be a new name for “The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”, one which represented the make up of the new country, it’s customs and mores.

I suggest “England”.

rkk01
    Free Member

What this one?

yes – which is why this is more welcomed in the middle east

chewkw
    Free Member

This one …

:mrgreen:

theteaboy
    Free Member

I don’t understand flags. What are they for? Why do people get so upset about them?

I can see the point of them on boats but otherwise why do we need one?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Does it matter? Within a generation or so the concept of nationality will be largely symbolic as we’ll all be part of an EU superstate anyway.

Not trolling or owt, I genuinely think that the notion of a united Europe has some merit.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I don’t understand flags. What are they for?

st. george flags on houses help identify bnp members.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else sad the Union flag (aka Union Jack) will phase out ?’ is closed to new replies.