Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Anyone else really really really not appreciate football?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

What is all the fuss? Why?

I am assuming it is a genetic thing.

Am I the only one?

oldfart

I used to enjoy it when i was growing up .From about the late 70s it's just full of overpaid media whores !

druidh
    Free Member

I'm feeling your pain bro – although I just don't "get" the idea of watching sports in general.

br
    Free Member

No, me too.

Going to Afan on Sunday, and half have pulled out because there is some football on – but you've got Sky+ says I.

Apparently not the same…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'd happily see soccer banned.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I have to ask, what fuss is it that you think people are creating?

I'm so not interested and out of the loop re' football I don't even know what you're on about 🙂

z1ppy

Nope, though i don't like watching any sport, football though really just annoys me more than anything else.

gamo
    Free Member

as oldfart says used too,but think the money involved nowadays is obscene.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It gets a bit irritating that so many numb-nuts think you "should" know who Wayne Bridge is (for instance), or don't have any other topic of conversation.

HitchinBoro
    Free Member

I'm a Boro season ticket holder so some could argue that I don't appreciate football….

DezB
    Free Member

Play it once a week, but never watch it.

My theory is blokes get into it so they have something to talk about down the pub. Have you noticed how those who follow it seem to know EVERY PLAYER from EVERY TEAM?? and how many goals they've scored and transfer movements over the past 10 years. It's bonkers.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

oldfart

I used to enjoy it when i was growing up .From about the late 70s it's just full of overpaid media whores !

ha ha ha same!

I was a southampton fan as a kid (70s) then the hooliganism really took off and I stopped paying attention then when Footballers' wives came out it was so close to the truth as to be documentary drama.

I did like footballers' wives though, very entertaining

tracknicko
    Free Member

decent enough UK industry. at least we have a leauge the rest of the world respects. employs plenty of people accross the UK. why ban it?

plus half the fat knacker dole scum have something to do on at least one day a week.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Fitba has always juts left me cold. I was never any good at it, I was never interested in wathcing it and I've never seen the point.

Horses for courses though eh? Many don't see the point of riding push bikes around in slop, if we were all the same it'd be a boring old life.

brooess
    Free Member

An old riding mate of mine said he didn't see what people got out of watching other people do sport. The pleasure, the gain and the lessons of sport come from doing it yourself. So I don't mind so much those who actually play the game. But the ones who willy-wave about it all so much (and especially the ones who are so lemming-like that they treat you as an outcast for not being interested) do my head in.
    I remember during 2006 World Cup, England were playing at 5pm so we were all told we could go home early to watch. I decided I wasn't going to stay at work while everyone else got to go home and left at the same time to go out on my road bike (it was June, long evening) and take advantage of the quiet roads. When I told one guy where I was off to he told me straight that he considered it unpatriotic! ****t

flatback
    Free Member

I dont watch anymore used to in the late 80's a lot, but the character and respect for the game, fans and opponents is long gone.

i dont hate all team sports as i watch a lot of NBA basketball and enjoy it a lot, someone allways wins in basketball, 0-0 after 90 mins whats that all about.

JonR
    Free Member

My theory is blokes get into it so they have something to talk about down the pub. Have you noticed how those who follow it seem to know EVERY PLAYER from EVERY TEAM?? and how many goals they've scored and transfer movements over the past 10 years. It's bonkers.

Spot on. I also reckon that I know every one from the past 12 years. Test me!

D0NK

Can't be bothered with it either, get a bit peeved that it dominates everything, a bit less football might mean more coverage of decent* sports. Mind you I guess following football means you've always got endless topics of inane chatter at your disposal should you ever find a lull in conversation down the pub/work/wherever else blokes congregate. Not many blokes down my local have much to say about the SRAM v shimano debate or what tyres for slush/mud/snow trails. You could always try "the trouble with arsenal is they always try to walk it in" 🙂

*decent being stuff that I like 🙂

Edit. I remmeber being stuck talking to this lad in a pub, he would not believe I didn't support a footy team, made me pick a team to pledge my allegiance to before he'd leave me alone.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero
    [quote]if we were all the same it'd be a boring old life.[/quote]

^that defines the biggest problem I have with football today.

It's sour grapes I know but bloody hell, when the BBC World Service covered "all the sport" during the rugby World Cup by only mentioning club side football results they really took the p1ss. And when they were hauled up for it their answer was? Popularity; football is the most popular sport out there so it becomes a black hole that sucks in everything around it. As for cycling results … forgeddaboutit. At least I live near Flanders where they can't decide whether they prefer football or Cyclocross!

watch out, soon enough there will only be 2 sports; football or talking about football

c
    Free Member

Me. Hate it (although I suppose that is a strong word)
    I am a girl though so I'm not expected to like / understand it. 😆

andytherocketeer

I'd happily see soccer banned.

me too.

What is all the fuss? Why?

TV rights, and defending IP.

I have to ask, what fuss is it that you think people are creating?

What cheeses me is that UEFA and FIFA go out of their way to inflict the footy on everyone (like a month or so just for the WC finals), but the Olympics which has way way more events to organise is over and done with in much less time. Football World cup should take no longer than Wimbledon imho.

Well that and *everyone* at work assuming that I watched the England-Italy/Germany/whoever game the night before.

Oh and why is it just "The" world cup? and "The" european cup? with no reference to the sport.

Dire sport, played by little girls that keep falling over feigning injury every time someone runs near them. The money they earn is purely because of TV entertainment. I say make them play a game of rugby (union or league – their choice) before they are allowed to play for a premiership team.

/rant.

mogrim

Knowing a bit about football is a useful social lubricant when doing business in Spain, as a man you're pretty much expected to follow a team, have a vague idea who's winning the league, etc.

druidh
    Free Member

flatback – Member

i dont hate all team sports as i watch a lot of NBA basketball and enjoy it a lot, someone allways wins in basketball, 0-0 after 90 mins whats that all about.

Test cricket. Play for 4 whole days and it can still end up in a draw 😐

dickie
    Free Member

Me too, can be bothered with it.

Superbikes, MotoGP & Cycling for me. When asked who's my team I like to reply Fiat Yamaha or Ducati WSB just for the laugh, like what else do they mean?

tracknicko
    Free Member

and yet every gets all upperty when people diss cyclists.

get over it you lot.

and as for discussing bike bits/tyre choice in the pub… i can think of nothing more boring than people talking about what mbr gave so and so out of ten, and how they are going to run x y or z on their bike.

andytherocketeer

Oh and why does everyone say "we" ?

Must be a lot of people that are part of the team or employed by the clubs 😉

/rant.

ahwiles
    Free Member

words cannot describe how bored i am with football.

David says it better than i can

aP
    Free Member

I've rather got the impression that there's something to do with Visa credit cards this summer?
    As long as it doesn't interfere with the TdF I don't really care.
    Wayne Bridges? a book, a film? Something to do with Madison County?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I once saw DONK in an England shirt ….it was the netball team apparently 😉
    Think the thing about it is that even people who know nothing about it have no interest in it can say something insightful about it like about Arsenal

I am into it but rarely talk about it except at work with "blokes".

andytherocketeer

say something insightful about it like about Arsenal

Despite knowing nothing about footy, or who plays for what team, I do know and think it's quite funny that the team beginning with "Arse" is managed by someone whose name begins with "Arse".

D0NK

TN I think most people were moaning about media saturation of football, whereas the rest of the public think cyclists don't have a right to exist. and no one, not even the most avid forumite with the worst case of verbal diarrhea can match the unending bobbins spraffed by a bunch of football blokes down the pub.

and as for skysportsfootball….why do they need an hours press conference with alex ferguson just for him to say 2 players are injured? (it's on in the brew room at work)

nbt

Football is for ****** **** *******.

shedfull
    Free Member

This sketch by Mitchell and Webb says everything about the way I feel when the "We did well at the weekend" conversations start up at work on a Monday morning.

I hate the "We" and "You" conversations, the websites that have nothing to report in between games so resort to trivia, the inflated salaries, the press that are stopping me from getting to work because they're camped outside Ashley Cole's bloody house just up the road from me (and he hasn't apparently kicked a ball in months), the insertion of "the game" into every advert from margarine to thrush cream and the way it's assumed that your life can't possibly be complete and that your sexuality might actually have to come into question because you don't love football.

mavisto
    Free Member

Hate it! Try working in an office with 2 red scum season ticket holders and having a brother who is nuts about Bolton (sad git).

I hope they all go bust, serves 'em right.

D0NK

I once saw DONK in an England shirt ….it was the netball team apparently

netball, volleyball, hockey, sommat like that, the blue really brings out the colour in my eyes apparently 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can't stand it. But then I can't stand watching most sports.

coogan
    Free Member

I like it. Watch and play it. Well, attempt to play it. But accept that some don't like it. Different strokes for different folks. I think single speeds and 29ers are a bag'o'****, but plenty on here like them…

the-muffin-man

I like watching football! I like watching most sports though (except Golf!)

…just like people who can name every model that 'X' mountain bike maker has produced – we're all sad in our own little ways!

teagirl
    Free Member

Glad my 2 lads don't partake. Rugby in this household. My youngest when age 7 did, briefly, join a local team and I took him to a tournament, it was the most dreadful experience of my entire life, childbirth pain was preferable. The majority of coaches and many of the parents were so aggressive and almost threatening the young lads in the teams. I withdrew my son from football after that, he was quite happy. It taught me plenty about a part of society I didn't want to belong. Primadonnas, the lot of them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

coogan, you forgot road bikes!

Even though you own a fully panniered, muidguarded commuter OMG111WTF

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else really really really not appreciate football?’ is closed to new replies.