Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Anyone else not like mince pies?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I love Christmas (as a family orientated Bacchinalian binge rather than a consumer festival or religious event), I like Christmas cake (although I pick the cherries out), Christmas pudding is ok and I’ll have a piece. But I don’t like mince pies. I honestly do not know anyone in real life who doesn’t like them. Makes Christmas meet-ups a little awkward as people are a little offended.

bearnecessities

Makes Christmas meet-ups a little awkward

Just mince by.

I’ll let myself out.

Milkie
    Free Member

I hate Mince Pies, so much so next year I’m playing a trick on my mince pie loving friends. 👿 I’m going to make mince pies with minced meat and tell them the truth that they are mince pies! 😆

Does anyone have any Mince Pie Alternative Recipes!?

molgrips
    Free Member

When I was a kid my mum used to make jam tarts along with the mince pies 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Mince pies are a crime against pastry

And there is no greater crime than that

More mince pies means less sausage rolls.

Do you want that?

DO YOU?!!!

But…, but….., but…., more sausage rolls means less pigs in blankets. Heresy I tell you! 😯

Making sausages tonight for the aforementioned PIBs, but may have to accidentally make far too many and have to wrap them in protective pastry 🙂

I LOVE mince pies.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you’re talking mince pies as in pies filled with mince, best enjoyed with chips, beans and brown sauce – then they’re brilliant.
    Otherwise you’re talking about some marketing ploy played on the feeble minded to get them to buy some crap that normally you wouldn’t touch with someone else’s barge pole.
    And Christmas cake.

Christmas is a time for sherry trifle

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Hate them. Disgusting things.

My missus Hoovers them up. Absolutely loves them.

phil40
    Free Member

Hated shop bought mince pies so I made my own!

Sweet pastry base, home made mincemeat (made with rum not brandy) and a frangipani topping rather than more pastry, they are even if I say so myself, bloody lovely 🙂

They are based on a Richard Bertinet recipe. I made a second batch after the first disappeared, and stuck a rum soaked prune in the frangipane topping….mmmmm might need another one now 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I now want a minced beef pie.
    Good excuse for a cycle to the shops.

Clover

Mmm, anything made that involves soaking fruit in alcohol gets my vote. Mince pies. Christmas pudding. Christmas cake. Moist, fruity goodness. Delicious pastry. What can possibly go wrong? Unless you buy them from a shop, that’s a proper lottery and best avoided.

Thank goodness they’re not available year round otherwise I would be the size of a house.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thank goodness they’re not available year round otherwise I would be the size of a house.

you wouldn’t be as quick to leave your bike up your back passage thats for sure!

grenosteve
    Free Member

well, being an unsophisticated northerner, I love mince pies, and I’m not to concerned if they’re made by Heston or Mr supermarket, they’re all good.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

But I don’t like mince pies. I honestly do not know anyone in real life who doesn’t like them.

I always suspected that you were a figment of a warped imagination.

Possibly mine… 😯

ell_tell
    Free Member

Talking of Stollen, who does the best off the shelf version?

I tried some mini stollen bites from Aldi, but was a little underwhelmed tbh.

Edit: Love mince pies too, but not too far into Jan

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Only proper almost chewy home made ones along with stilton. Mum’s taste like those light and sugar-dusted supermarket ones so steer clear.

benji
    Free Member

Love them, especially the ones I still bake with my Mum, it’s something we always do, and I’m 41 this year, so it’s been going on a while now.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just had my 2nd mince pie this year. I think that’ll do for me until this time next year.

Drac

Oooh! I just remembered I have some home made sweet mince in the cupboard somewhere, think it’s about 2 year old now.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I love mince pies, proper crispy heavy pastry and homemade mince with come brandy cream.

**** ace. I’ve eaten 20 in a sitting once.

The supermarket ones disgust me though.

aP
    Free Member

Come brandy cream…? Is that a euphemism?

Drac

Come brandy cream…? Is that a euphemism?

I think he means it’s manmade.

grenosteve
    Free Member

^^^^ FFS, this forum can be funny. 😆

Nobby

Vile things. I’m certain they were first made by mistake & some marketing bod took on a bet that he could convince the gullible consumer to buy them all.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

😳 :mrgreen:

maxtorque

Looks like the “make everything Niche” STW curse also applies to Mince Pies judging by this thread. #becauseyourworthit

😉

nickdavies

Aldi were shocking this year.
    They even had a domed crust, promising all manner of overstuffed delight.
    A terrible disappointment to discover what lurked beneath was mostly fresh air.

You need that air gap! Whip the lid off, fill with a nice dollop of brandy butter. Lid on, cover in cream.

Boom.

chewkw
    Free Member

Anyone else not like mince pies?

Mince pies are not bad …

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else not like mince pies?’ is closed to new replies.