Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Anyone else never drink alcohol ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

I’m probably in the minority here but I’m just not interested at all in drinking.

A while ago, I was getting silly with it and drinking vodka or whiskey every night and decided to hit it on the head completely.

Now, when I tell people I don’t drink, I either get a ” what at all ?!?!? ” or a ” don’t blame you ” seems to be no middle ground it’s like I’m wierd or they don’t drink either.

Anyone else not drink at all ?

jam-bo

Rarely but not through any moral objection.

iainc

Sometimes when I wake up with a sore head like now I wish I didn’t !

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Had years of not drinking then started again, but now I am going off the idea as I resent losing time to feeling rough. So off out on a hen do tonight and planning on staying off it ….

fd3chris
    Free Member

Is so rare for me to now as well, I haven’t had a hangover in many years and have almost forgotten how bad I can get them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’m on the middle ground.. if I drink anymore than a pint or glass of wine I have a headache for 2 days and feel like I ve had 2 hours sleep. So I have a very limited consumption even tho I love drinking. I now just go for quality drink and savour my poison.

Pigface
    Free Member

Haven’t for 25 years, wish things in this country weren’t so alcohol centric .

rogerthecat
    Free Member

adjustablewench +1

tang
    Free Member

Stopped at 21( now 38). Just didn’t like it much, my tastes were a bit more illegal….I woke up one morning and thought I’ve had enough now of intxicating myself, not wavered since.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

if I drink anymore than a pint or glass of wine I have a headache for 2 days and feel like I ve had 2 hours sleep.

This is how it is for me as well these days. Shame cos I did enjoy it. 🙁

willard

I used to, but it was making me feel rough in the mornings and ruining my sleep. I was laos putting on weight no matter what. I stopped, have dropped 7 kilos and feel a whole lot better.

I think, generally, the UK is far too focussed on drinking and not in a good way. People see it as the only way to have a good night out and no one is trying to disuade them of it.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Stopped drinking alcohol at the start of 2011 to help lose a bit of weight and haven’t had any since. Was only supposed to be for a couple of months but I realised I didn’t miss it and I definitely didn’t need the hangovers or feeling rough the next day.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Kind of stopped. Only drink nice things for what they are, not for getting rat arsed.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I haven’t been drunk for about 10 years,
    but I do enjoy a bottle of Bub from the beer fridge in the garage while bike fettling, a pint after a night ride and sharing a hip flask on cold winter night rides.
    But I could easily live without it but I don’t really want to as the odd one is nice

hmanchester
    Free Member

I don’t drink alcohol.

Miss it very occasionally, but overall a massively positive net outcome on life.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Actually thinking about stopping, not that I have a problem but some days are wasted due to being rough. I could easily drive or just dring tonic water etc

chvck
    Free Member

I drink a couple of times a months when I get together with mates. We usually don’t get hammered (I can’t anyway due to a medical condition) just a few beers and a laugh – if they do get hammered I get to laugh at/with them anyway. Only drink nice things now too. Haven’t had a hangover for quite a while either.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I used to drink to get drunk most days, but one day i stopped completley. That lasted over 10 years, Didn’t miss it at all, even the social side as i worked in pubs. So now i only have a drink very occasionally, and its very rarely more the one, can’t remember the last time i actually finished a pint.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never have. Stems from being a fussy eater as a kid and not wanting anything that tasted weird. As an adult I’ve tried it but still makes me feel terrible after a sip or two. And tastes like mouldy fruit.

I have hardly heard of anyone who’s NEVER drank anything.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve been dry for a year due to medication, and don’t miss it. I could chose to drink consistently and re-balance the meds (warfarin), but that’s not attractive. For it would mean the same amount each day. I can still enjoy the occasional alcohol-free bevvie. the same taste with no ill effects.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

pigface +1

w1zard
    Free Member

Like a few others here I gave up because I was tiring of wasting my life feeling rough, and only intended on giving up for a few weeks. That was several years ago and I haven’t had a drink since.

I really don’t miss it, but the money saved and spent on more tangible things is the main thing that continues to motivate me.

Agreed this country is far too focused on alcohol as a form of entertainment – the extreme reactions you get when you tell people you don’t drink are bizarre – but I can kind of understand it as I might have responded the same way a few years ago.

Keva
    Free Member

seven pints and a curry last night 😳 luckily for me I never really suffer.

Woody
    Free Member

Agreed this country is far too focused on alcohol as a form of entertainment

The emphasis seems to have shifted too. Gone are the days when a drink was a means of losing a few inhibitions and having a good time. The sole purpose for many nowadays seems to be to get so drunk, that if you can remember what you did, it wasn’t a good night!

Quite a culture shift, as when I was a lad, anyone who threw up or fell over, had the piss taken mercilessly for days or even weeks.

I now limit myself to max 7 pints as a result of a tabletop body-popping/rap episode on a works night out last year. I’m 53 😳

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t as it doesn’t agree with my depression and anxiety. Some people have an issue with my not drinking most don’t care. Everyday is a battle to get outside but I’m winning now. Drinking only makes me worse. I feel I have to psych myself up into simple things. when I have had a drink it doesn’t feel pleasant. I get ribbed off some people who don’t understand. During my 20’s it seemed more of an issue than it is now.

warton
    Free Member

I’ll have a nice single malt or two maybe once or twice a week, apart from that, I very rarely drink any other alcohol.

chewkw
    Free Member

I only drunk one shot of whiskey on alternate evening for the last two years mixed with a bit of warm water for health reason. Haven’t touch any this year.

Apart from that perhaps one bottle of larger (Co-op Supermarket Czech beer) one every 4 months. I think the last time I had some alcohol was about 2 months ago, a bottle Czech beer that’s it.

I don’t like wine so only use it for cooking …

🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The emphasis seems to have shifted too. Gone are the days when a drink was a means of losing a few inhibitions and having a good time. The sole purpose for many nowadays seems to be to get so drunk, that if you can remember what you did, it wasn’t a good night[/b]!

What age group are you talking about there ?

I was like that years ago*, but now mainly drink nice stuff because I like it.

And most people I know are the same.

(*although I did always have a perfect memory and was the “go to guy” for filling in the blanks after a massive piss up)

Woody
    Free Member

Primarily but by no means only, younger drinkers ie. 16-35 on a ‘night out’ although admittedly I probably have a skewed view of this given that I live in NE England and my job (Paramedic) invloves dealing with the consequences. I’ve seen nightshifts where every single job is directly alcohol related!

Another thing which also seem to have changed is that there is a lot of drinking prior to going out + it’s quite common for women to have a bottle of vodka etc in their handbag, presumably due to the cost of alcohol in pubs/clubs.

TBH going into clubs and pubs late at night stone cold sober is NOT a pleasant experience and has put me off going to some places for good and I would far rather enjoy a couple of decent pints in my local or a nice wine at home.

scant
    Free Member

i havent had a sip of alcohol in over 8years & dont miss it at all. vastly prefer to be riding the bike

xherbivorex
    Free Member

woody, that’s some interesting stuff! i grew up in the north east, was stupid with booze from about 16-20ish and haven’t touched it at all in just over 25 years now.
    i used to drink to get hammered, and not really for any other reason, but once i started going out to pubs and clubs i never used to drink in the house beforehand, i’d always wait til i got to the pub. same goes for my mates. i find that whole thing to be odd. oh well.

when i finally decided i needed to quit drinking, a couple of my cousins (who lived on a particularly notoriously tough estate in sunderland) told me that i “must be gay” and that if they ever saw me out in a pub, they’d knock me out!
    it wasn’t a difficult decision to move away from the north east. such a blinkered, intolerant place, generally (well, back then it was anyway).

nealglover
    Free Member

Drinking at home before going out isn’t a new thing particularly.

We used to do it in the late 80’s and Early 90’s due to being a bit skint and its a good way to spend less.

When I lived in Austria we always used to have a litre of VERY cheap wine before going out and spending 39AS (<£2) a Beer (the wine was called Kellerhof, I think from memory it was 19AS (<£1) a litre bottle.)

plumber
    Free Member

Normally I can measure my drinking at less that a pint a month if that

plumber
    Free Member

Double post

Woody
    Free Member

We used to do it in the late 80’s and Early 90’s due to being a bit skint and its a good way to spend less.

I think that was about the time when drinking habits began to change and drink prices in supermarkets started to show a huge differential to pubs.

it wasn’t a difficult decision to move away from the north east. such a blinkered, intolerant place, generally

That’s true to an extent and having moved here from London, where I’d lived for 14 years, it was like stepping back in time with some very dated attitudes.

Depends where you are in the NE of course but there is a warmth of spirit in many places and things have seen a big improvement in the 12 years I’ve lived here. I’ve recently moved to Lanchester, which is one of the few Durham villages which weren’t built around a pit and it’s a very nice place to live.

EDIT: apologies – wandered a bit OT there!

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve never started. As a teen, I did try some, but never saw the point. I don’t see why you need to have alcohol at all.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i did’nt drink at all for about 3 or 4 years, i did’nt miss it at all except for a very cold beer when cooking sausages on the bbq in the summer.

really cut back my drinking before xmas feel so much better for it. i was down to a nip on a sat night, its crept back up a little again the last few weeks due to utter stress, stinking cold and this damn weather, so i need to get on it again.

i tell my kids their lives will be better if they never drink.

GolfChick
    Free Member

30 now and never really have, i think I can say with hand on heart Ive only had 10 alcoholic drinks in my entire life. I can make an utter ****t of myself without drinking so why on earth do I need to make it even worse! I dont enjoy the taste of any that I’ve tried so why put myself through trying all the rest just to see if I do or not.

Yes people do seem to have n issue with the fact I dont drink, almost everyone I tell says oh really, what never. THen they go on to question why I dont and tell me why Im wrong!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Yes people do seem to have n issue with the fact I dont drink

its funny that is’nt it, when i did’nt drink people would think i was really odd.

mind you, i once ‘had’ to attend an office xmas party and believe me being dead sober when all are pissed, and then dragged onto an empty dance floor by the boss’s girlfriend… oh heck, wished i was leggless at that moment!

Bunnyhop

I choose not to drink even though I enjoy the taste.
    Friends have got used to me being tea total.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else never drink alcohol ?’ is closed to new replies.