Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • anyone else nearly get blown off this weekend?
  • scandalous
    Free Member

Final B road descent. 37.9mph. HUGE wind wobble / near wipe out.

brown pants moment.

would have been an A&E visit for sure. Worse than that, the bike would have been very badly injured.

anyone else?

scaredypants

Sadly, no risk at all

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

No and I never even had a steak either 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye, but only walking in the Pentlands!

Sadly not by any females.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rode past this odd looking chap up near Rivi, thought I could have been blown by him but it’s not my thing so I just carried on.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It was howling in the Peak yesterday. ‘Interesting’ riding from the top of Thorncliffe towards the Roaches to say the least, completely unprotected cross winds – pretty much the windiest I’ve ridden in for a fair few years, but you sort of got into a rhythm with it. Great fun being out in the hills, whatever the weather though.

carlos
    Free Member

Out on the Roadie today round Macc and The Goytt and I swear I’ve ridden up hill quicker on the Mtb!! Felt like I was towing round a frikin bus.

Had a couple of moments due to the gusts and by Christ it was hard going up on the Cat & Fiddle

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Nope” not for the lack of trying either.

wiggles
    Free Member

I have more chance of winning the lottery…

Did get steak though.

GHill

Decided to take the long way down from Stanage yesterday, rather than drop into the plantation. Risk was too high when I could barely stand up at the top.

matt_outandabout

Howling big gusts at top of Carron Valley. We bailed as we had the kids, and they could hardly stay n the bikes…

davenorth1
    Free Member

I was lucky. I did but it cost me. Wink wink

akaskittles
    Free Member

Well, That’s for me to know and you to find out (or not :P);)

woodsman
    Free Member

No even near 🙁

jeffl

Mam Tor was proper windy today.

MoreCashThanDash

Roadie-Ing round Derbyshire Dales and Chatsworth yesterday. Some interesting cross wind moments when going past gaps in hedges and gates in walls.

Even that tail wind didn’t help on the climb from Rowsley up Chesterfield Road

Trimix
    Free Member

A bunch of us were in Hebdon over the weekend, comming downhill we realised that if we tried to freewheel we would come to a stop.

andytherocketeer

Coming out from behind the shelter of a building, one-handed, into quite a stiff breeze was almost a not very sensible thing to do.

Not as bad as the last time I did Helvellyn where the cross wind was enough to make me turn 90 degrees. Thought I was going to end up in the tarn.

Broke the laws of cycling though. It wasn’t a headwind all the way. Tailwind all the way home 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

there was a small crowd of roadies milling around the Norfolk arms on Saturday morning. Occasionally a couple more would ride past, up the hill towards burbage – only to turn round, and scoot down the hill to join the crowd in the relative shelter of the trees.

it’s a bit chinese whispers, but there were tales of someone being very shaken up after a windwobble+car moment.

lots of rides aborted!

(March winds and all that though, i suppose)

gogg
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Yes- Top of hill, chrisdiesel from here rides past me just as I picked my bike up and it wrapped itself round the front of him 😆 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Hollins Cross up towards Mam Tor was interesting, as was having to pedal like buggery down most of the descents…

A tailwind down Jacob’s Ladder was fun though.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

37mph (straight) road descent, was blown from one side of the road to t’other. Just managed to wrangle the bike round before an involuntary hedge/self interface. Numerous wind assisted, involuntary, sideways bunnyhops on rest of ride. Up to 45mph gusts of head/side winds. Strangely, I found it quite a laugh……………..afterwards. 😐

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of this association with steak, but then I’m given steak regularly.

AlexSimon

I’ve found this the windiest of winters ever.
    Constantly been chucked about like an empty crisp bag.

Bowstones, mam tor, ridge above campsite descent, shining tor, etc, etc all a nightmare.

BoardinBob

Heading to the summit at Caberston on Friday and I had to turn back. Completely exposed hillside and at points the wind was so bad I had to lie down and hold onto my bike, and I was still getting moved. Quite scary actually.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘anyone else nearly get blown off this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.