• This topic has 96 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Anyone else likely to spend Christmas day alone?
  • P20

I working. So bacon sarnies (becoming a bit of a tradition with the way my shifts work on Christmas) with the wife before she heads off down to her parents and I head off to work

jools182
    Free Member

In answer to the op

Probably

Waderider
    Free Member

Once spent a Xmas on my own in a bothy. Best Xmas ever.

Hope the wife doesn’t read this!

Drac

Not me I’m on annual leave all week so will be with my family. As an added bonus I found out today I’m on my new rota from next week so I finish on 17th Dec and not back until 1st Jan. 😀

downgrade
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member
    Did it once, had to tell well meaning relatives and friends that I was with one or the other to stop an intervention. People will be aghast if you tell them, don’t.

Haha, yeah this. Thoroughly enjoy the day by myself sometimes, but other folk think it’s a big problem…

milky1980
    Free Member

Put in to work christmas day as I don’t like the day really (not even the presents), basically the food is the only bit I like!!

No-one ever volunteers to work so the boss usually has to either work it or pay someone mega-bucks to do it. Done a night shift either side of christmas day the last few years but decided to do the day shift this year. Put in my price of £500 plus a day off in lieu and she accepted!! Should pay for a few shiny upgrades 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Not alone, but just me and the GF. Have done this the last 2 years in a row, and even though we can argue like cat and dog the rest of the year, Christmas just the two of us together is awesome! Even if I was sick as a dog last year and anything I ate stayed down for 5 minutes if I was lucky!

My Dad, who clearly has the shortest memory in the world, invites me over every year (forgetting we can manage about 15 minutes of being civil to each other before war breaks out!) along with all and sundry, then tries the guilt thing when I politely decline. It’s just a day, no more special than any other, but if you’re going to give me a guilt trip about it then I’ll bite and tell you that I’ll spend this “special day” with who I damned well please, thank you very much!

The GF’s family are quite lazy and don’t like cooking, and would rather spend all day sozzling themselves on crap lager in some rough local pub, followed by a carvery that would cost about £5 on any other day of the year, which is completely at odds with the one part of Christmas I actually quite like… The food! If all I do on Christmas day was spend the entire time cooking a Turkey and all the trimmings, then sitting down to eat it, I’m a happy man. Managed to do this to a T 2 years ago, including a bike ride whilst the Turkey was cooking (popped Turkey into oven literally seconds before jumping on the bike, then 2hr ride later and the turkey was done). Sadly last year I was a little under the weather, but the GF bless her, did everything she could to make sure we still had a fantastic dinner.

If we split, then without question, I’d spend it on my own this year… For those that think the New Year sales start on Boxing Day, try popping down to Morrisons at 4:30pm on Christmas Eve… Everything Christmas related is marked down for clearance at crazy prices, so as long as you’re not too fussy then fill yer boots!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nope I’ll probably be working. Last year I worked nights and had Boxing Day off. Had Christmas dinner on Boxing Day had two bottles of beer and fell asleep. Year before I was drugged up to the eyeballs after knee surgery on the 22nd.

simmy
    Free Member

+ 1 for not Road riding on Xmas Day, its awful.

Motorists simply don’t expect you to be there, are stressed out. Last year I saw a Roadie nearly get taken out by a family crossing the road with arms full of presents.

Seeing him scream out ” BIKE ” was slightly amusing………

BadlyWiredDog

Done it a few times in the past and it’s been brilliant in a chilled sort of way. None of the frenzy or forced jollity. What does work really well, if you have good friends locally, is to spend Christmas dinner itself with them, then escape home when people start collapsing around you and falling asleep in from of the fire. It’s a sort of ‘best of both worlds’ solution.

As other people have said, the biggest problem is stopped other people from pretty much kidnapping you and dragging you off for a forced social Christmas elsewhere, you have to be firm or a really convincing liar….

I’ve ridden on and off road, run and waked on Christmas Day before now – choice depending on the weather – I’ve never had huge issues with road traffic to be honest, but I guess it only takes one dozy driver.

scandal42
    Free Member

Some angry people haters on here 😆

Home Alone box set anyone…..

hammyuk
    Free Member

Don’t hate people scandal – haye the financial and family pressure to do what “you’re supposed to do – its xmas”.

I’ll spend the day how I want with the people I want to – not how and with who I’m supposed to thank you very much xxx

FYI – it’ll be The Great Escape, The Italian Job and a bottle of Jammy Red Roo 😉

hora
    Free Member

When I first met my other half her mother was racist etc and hated me. I rose above it. She can still be picky etc but would I change her? No.

**** it. Life’s too short. Xmas morning ride, back to a lively house. What’s wrong with that?

Just think of the fireman, police, ambulance and hospital staff working that day with no choice unlike you to change your circumstances and make thinks better.

Cone on, rise above it and enjoy company on that one day 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

**** off. Got far better things to do with my time.

nickdavies

Looks like it – flying out Boxing Day for skiing and the fact Christmas Day will likely be my first day off in December means this year I’m thinking of just sacking it off and getting out on the bike and finding a nice pub. Family seem to have other plans so might be able to squeeze it without feeling like a bar steward. I start thinking about Christmas in March for work so really don’t want to think about it anymore by the time doors shut on Christmas Eve!

If anybody else is in the same position in the east mids/peaks could be a ride on!

bearnecessities

hora – Member
    When I first met my other half her mother was racist etc and hated me. I rose above it. She can still be picky etc but would I change her? No.
    **** it. Life’s too short. Xmas morning ride, back to a lively house. What’s wrong with that?
    Just think of the fireman, police, ambulance and hospital staff working that day with no choice unlike you to change your circumstances and make thinks better.
    Cone on, rise above it and enjoy company on that one day ?

What?!

Klunk
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else likely to spend Christmas day alone?’ is closed to new replies.