• This topic has 96 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Anyone else likely to spend Christmas day alone?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

My daughter will be with her mum on Christmas day this year. So I will do the whole family dinner thing over at my parents on Boxing day with her instead. It does leave me alone on Christmas day so I’m thinking of getting away for the day, maybe surfing or biking depending on the weather, generally forgetting it is Christmas day really. Anyone else alone and what do you plan to do?

lunge

I won’t be but part of me is a little jealous.

I’d do a long road ride taking advantage of the empty road. It’s likely incorporate a pub that is open for a few hours where I’d have a beer in front of a log fire. Then I’d go home, cook myself something nice and get rid of a good bottle of Port. It’d be awesome.

allthepies
    Free Member

That geezer in the John Lewis ad.

onandon
    Free Member

Out of choice I’ll be on my own while my wife going back to Ireland to visit her parents.
    Looking forward to a week alone to bike, eat, drink, bike, build Lego ,watch crap on to, eat, bike ….. You get the idea.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

my mate split up with his mrs and shes having their kids over the festive period so hes booked south africa for the test match flying out xmas day! fair do’s

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done this in the past when MrsBouy wanted to go to her parents and I didn’t. TBH I relish these quiet moments, nothing better than a blast on the bike or sailing on my own then pigging out in front of the TV watching the Grinch Film 😀

Do it, it’s Ace.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Me – last year had the day out on the bike – thought I was getting pulled at one point but got a thumbs up and a gesture to “crack on” 😆
    Spent the evening at a friends after an out of the blue text – open fire, tunes and a bloody good wine.

This year – who knows! Can pop in to do stockings with the kids if I want to then will see what the weather is doing and go from there.

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m not planning to but there’s still time.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can you work? Often some good overtime/rates on offer and you can get something good as a result…

Edric64
    Free Member

I spent the morning riding last year and got over 50 road miles in .Ok not alone all day as I rode to my girlfriends but it was great waking up in an empty house with no xmas stuff round at all .This year we will do parkrun then tandem to the pub

Northwind

allthepies – Member

I recommend against spending the day looking at little girls through your telescope though

bigyinn
    Free Member

I wish I could.

fasthaggis

I have never been alone on Christmas day,and I never want to be,it wouldn’t feel right.
    There are more than enough days in the year to be doing stuff on my own away from my family.

BTW I hate that John lewis ad

pictonroad

Did it once, had to tell well meaning relatives and friends that I was with one or the other to stop an intervention. People will be aghast if you tell them, don’t.

It was absolutely fantastic. Bike ride in the morning, really crisp day, came back, audiobook on, cooked myself a lovely dinner and settled in front of Bond/Wallace & Grommit/generic nonsense the telly with a bottle.

Did help that it was in a remote house with no one around and no broadband or phone reception.

hels
    Free Member

I do this sometimes when stuck in the UK for the festive season – it’s ace, but not easy to get away with. I have found the trick is to respond to every invite – “thanks ever so for your lovely invitation and I would love to come but I have already accepted an invite to XX for the day”.

If it’s a nice day, it’s a brilliant day to go for a road ride, there is almost zero traffic.

hels
    Free Member

A few times I have organised an “orphans Christmas” which is when you do have company, but don’t spend the day being polite to other peoples relatives and wanting to slap their children. So anybody who is a parent or a child is banned, essentially. Bah humbug etc.

jekkyl

Great day for driving to anywhere as there are zero lorries on the mway and virtually no cars.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It could happen this year but have some single non family orientated non religious friends so the plan is to have a mid summer lunch/dinner party. Best of both worlds get a ride in and a good old knees up

perchypanther
    Free Member

“A few times I have organised an “orphans Christmas” which is when you do have company, but don’t spend the day being polite to other peoples relatives and wanting to slap their children. So anybody who is a parent or a child is banned , essentially. Bah humbug etc.”

Everyone’s somebody’s child Shirley?

legolam
    Free Member

We’ve had a couple of Christmases where we’ve told the family that we’re both working (you can get away with it when you’re both junior doctors) then got nicely pissed in front of the TV whilst eating “trimmings” (ie stuffing, sausages, etc) without the horrible turkey. And we invited all of our friends who were working and couldn’t get home to their families to join us at any point when their shift finished, so we had people dropping in from 9am when the night shift finished, to 11pm when the people on long days finally finished.

lovewookie

I wish I could.

this.

I did one year, went out on the bike, on deserted trails, spent the rest of the day eating and relaxing in front of the TV.

It was quite nice not to have any obligations.

jimster01

Would be great,conditions permitted up at stupid o’clock,down to beach for a goodold surf.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did one year, went out on the bike, on deserted trails, spent the rest of the day eating and relaxing in front of the TV.

then got nicely pissed in front of the TV whilst eating “trimmings” (ie stuffing, sausages, etc) without the horrible turkey.

I hosted a family Christmas, there would have been time for a ride but too hot, lunch had no sign of Turkey and lots of amazing food including a 4kg Salmon and multiple courses and lots of wine, moaning about the food and not going riding isn’t really trying…

porlus
    Free Member

Possibly me this year. My lass is a nurse and isnt sure if shes working christmas day or not yet.
    Dont mind though. Did it a couple of years back. Had pizza for lunch and a bottle of red. Lovely 😀

freeagent
    Free Member

Married with two little kids means I can’t, and wouldn’t want to at the moment.

If things were different it would be pretty nice to try it though..

jon1973
    Free Member

I have never been alone on Christmas day,and I never want to be,it wouldn’t feel right.
    There are more than enough days in the year to be doing stuff on my own away from my family.

It’s not always through choice of course, and there are also enough days throughout the year to spend with family – it doesn’t have to wait until Christmas.

I’d rather not, but I think I can cope with my own company well enough to have an enjoyable day. Nice long cycle sounds good, decent food and a couple of films. It is a day just like any other after all – nothing too special about it for most people, other that the opportunity to spend time with family, so if you can do that the week after or something, then it doesn’t really matter.

teasel
    Free Member

Go with Lunge’s suggestion – it’s wonderfully self indulgent but the roads being empty is a bit of a myth unless you hit them early. Trails are probably even more likely to have folk on them.

I’ve spent a fair few xmas days alone due to my partner spending it with family and it’s always been an excellent day. Get out, get back, get drunk/high and kick back.

Get fat.

hammyuk
    Free Member

For me – it’s the whole “you have to because…..” bollocks – hate hate hate hate hate ad finitum.
    If I want to buy someone a present, spent shite loads of cash on food, etc – I’ll just throw a party, take them shopping, go for a good meal.
    But doing because it Xmas, because its whatever b***sh** reason – they can **** off and end up with a more grumpy than usual Hammy who absolutely will not be doing what he “should” “must” etc.

rogg
    Free Member

The only thing about going for a ride on Christmas morning is that I imagine anyone who sees me is thinking “somebody got a bike for Christmas!”.

I’ve spent the last 7 Christmas mornings on my own and love it. Yes it would be nice to spend the day with the future Mrs rogg and all of our kids, but blended-family logistics have prevented it so far. My two kids get dropped off in time for me to serve Christmas dinner at 1.30’ish and the peace is shattered…

wrecker
    Free Member

Won’t be pulling crackers then Hammy? Jeez.

zilog6128

Binned off Christmas one year when I just couldn’t be arsed with it. It was awesome. Everyone thought I was being a bit odd/grinchy but it was like some massive weight was lifted. Went for an ace ride in the morning, lots of cheerful waving from at/from families out for Chrimbo walks, then home to cook Christmas dinner for one. Repeated on Boxing day rather than go to GF’s parents and spend all day sat on sofa watching crap telly. Bought everyone’s presents on the cheap in the sales in between Christmas & New Year 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I did a fortnights overtime a few years ago instead of the company xmas shut down, worked 10-12 hours days every day except xmas, boxing day and new years day. Netted me about 2000 quid (about 2 months take home pay!) spent christmas day doing a big loop in the peaks, then home for masses of food, few beers and a box set of some description (xmas telly is shit!) did similar on the road bike on boxing day.

New years day was spent in bed, hung over.

Being single, a far simpler life.

Can’t even remember what i spent the 2k on.
    Probably bike parts.

hammyuk
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Won’t be pulling crackers then Hammy? Jeez.

Define “crackers ” Wrecker 8)

takisawa2

Did a couple many years ago, when I was single for a couple of years.
    I took the dog for a very long walk over Cannock on one, Xmas dinner was Lemon Curd sandwiches in a nice sunny spot.
    It was posh Lemon Curd though.

outofbreath
    Free Member

No such luck.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This place has reached a new low:

Northwind – Member
    allthepies – Member

I recommend against spending the day looking at little girls through your telescope though

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #
    bigyinn – Member
    I wish I could.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve spent 6 out the last 7 alone (through choice).

Despite the big bushy white beard, I’m not a fan.

HansRey

after reading this, I’ve decided to take a bike with me to the in-laws. Great idea.

scandal42
    Free Member

Christmas is just a day, but It actually feels different for me, it feels like a special day where the majority of the country stops and just get’s together with family/friends and forgets about all the shit that goes on throughout the year and focuses on each other.

I feel a bit sorry for people like Hammy who seem to get a bit angry about Christmas and the general approach to the day.

Also nice to get groups of people together who ordinarily struggle at other times of the year.

Yep, I quite like my people* and the festivities.

* Not so keen on spending time with the in laws though 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

No idea. Not been invited anywhere.
    Might do some dog sitting.

Actually, last year my son stayed Christmas Eve and I dropped him to his mum on Christmas Day. Be nice to do that again, must arrange. But then, when he’s gone…

*is sad*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else likely to spend Christmas day alone?’ is closed to new replies.