Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone else is stuck at work and probably wont get home?
  • donks
    Free Member

Directors have made it clear we will be here till 6 tonight and my 40 mile drive along back roads is looking pretty grim right now.

Reckon i’ll be rocking in about midnight tonight then….but heh its only a bit of snow. 👿

Conan257
    Free Member

Stuck at work, but not because of the weather! Poop!

andrewh
    Free Member

We have just over an inch.
    Everyone else has buggered off ‘because the drive will be a nightmare.’
    (all 2 miles of it in some case)
    I have been known to ride to work in 1ft of snow so am quite capable of getting home in this, so am still here.
    I wonder why I bother sometimes.
    Leaving at 4 I think, not because I won’t be able to get home, but because I want to go and ride in the snow 🙂
    You should have ridden Donks.

jedi

im indoors at teh top of a hill in hertford and its already shut for traffic. we are busy arranging a nightride to a local pub now 😀

donks
    Free Member

40 miles on a BMX is a hard hit….even for me 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

Most of the cyclists made it in today. Most of the rest didn’t. Slackers, the lot of ’em!

wwaswas

I work at home. Taking a ‘snow day’ is problematic.

andrewh
    Free Member

40 miles on a BMX is a hard hit….even for me

What snow tyres for BMX?

benslow
    Free Member

JEDI – What hill in Hertford ?

christhetall
    Free Member

Normally takes me 10 minutes to get home, but tonight it will be at least an hour.

Cos I’m off to have some fun in the woods !

brakes
    Free Member

I’m stuck at Glasgow airport waiting for a flight, any flight, to London. I can at least walk the 10 miles home from there…

edlong
    Free Member

Not expecting to have much problem getting home. I have the proper equipment for the weather: a bicycle.

jedi

theives lane

_tom_
    Free Member

At work in MK til 10ish. So far the roads all look fine, so long as i can get out of the car park i should be ok!

tonyd

I left the office just before 11am today as it was chucking it down. Didn’t fancy the 35 mile round trip on the road bike today so drove in. I’m quite happy driving my old rear wheel drive bimmer through the snow, unfortunately most other people round these parts appear to be completely hopeless. I got stuck behind one eejit doing 5mph on an almost clear road. Very frustrating!

yodagoat
    Free Member

MTFU. Its only snow dude.

m1kea
    Free Member

It’s been snowing? 👿 😉

As per previous winters I have my winter kit in the boot of the car:

Snow chains 😉

Cordless Recip saw (we get plenty of downed branches round here)

Shovel

Plus various blankets and plastic sheeting that live in the boot for bike transporting.

This all really does look like an axe murderers kit so fingers crossed I never get stopped by the plod 😆

theotherjonv

I was always due to wfh today anyway so made no difference to me. But we (my co-directors and HR) opted to close our work at lunchtime anyway to ensure staff could get home safely. Question; does an employer have any duty of care over their staff in this situation? I’m not talking about being reasonable here, which i think we are, I’m thinking absolute legalities.

eg 1. employee comes to you and says they are concerned about getting home once it gets dark and icy. You say tough, hours are 9-5. Employee has a crash on the way home, could you be in the shit?

eg 2. employee phones in to say they can’t make it. You say you’ll take it as holiday then. They then try to come in and have a crash. Any liability?

sambob
    Free Member

Do you not have a legal department for that sort of thing jonv? 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else is stuck at work and probably wont get home?’ is closed to new replies.