Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone else having to cope with hypersensitive skin? Potential MTFU content :)
  • hunta

Laugh if you like, I don’t care… Not exactly a manly topic I know 😛

I’m finding that I seem to have really really sensitive skin, especially combined with exercising. The worst episode was a few years ago when I did a day’s riding with less preparation than would be considered ideal, and the over-exertion manifested itself in excruciating urticaria which lasted about 5 days.

More commonly if I exercise hard and get bitten, which happens a lot, the area tends to come out in a rash and swell quite badly (especially uncomfortable on the shins), which is generally enough to prevent me exercising for the better part of a week.

Reading up about it I don’t think there’s much to be done other than trying to prevent it. I haven’t found a particularly effective antihistamine and anyway I’m not sure about taking them long-term.

Just wondering whether there are others out there who have a similar love / hate relationship with the great outdoors, and if so have you found any practical solutions? Covering up would likely help with the bites and stings but potentially at the cost of over-heating, which might trigger the urticaria again which I *really* don’t want. Any recommendations for lightweight, cool leggings maybe?

Shackleton

Bizzare I know but have you been tested for being allergic to your own sweat? I had a friend who was who had very similar symptoms.

Can’t remember what the solution was mind…………………

hunta

That really would be bad news 🙁 It hadn’t occurred to me but I’ll bear it in mind.

racefaceec90

i suffer with eczema (luckily not severe) and it sucks 🙁

Shackleton

I contacted them and they said they were diagnosed with Cholinergic Urticaria, it lasted for a few years but they grew out of it (not uncommon apparently). Mentioned something about treatment with steroid anti-inflammatory but was too young to remember exactly what.

May be worth a referral to a dermatologist.

Drac
    hunta

Thanks Shackleton, that was good of you to go to the trouble.

Drac, I shall now give myself bad dreams with some late night reading no doubt accompanied by gruesome photos 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else having to cope with hypersensitive skin? Potential MTFU content :)’ is closed to new replies.