Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else having a crack at the South Downs Way this weekend?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Anyone else having a crack at the South Downs Way this weekend?

We’re heading out from Winchester early tomorrow, hoping to make it to Eastbourne by late afternoon but Brighton might be more realistic looking at the expected temperatures across Sussex and Hampshire.

scaredypants

learn where the taps are !

It’ll be running fast I guess, so you’ll be OK

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been running sections of it all week and the conditions are perfect for a record breaking attempt 😉
    I’d second the Taps ^^ you’ll drink loads of water… It’s gonna be scortchio!!!

Have fun.

ybot
    Free Member

Yep, 3 of us ‘Dorking Cocks’ hoping to leave Winchester at about 8am tomorrow assuming the trains get us there on time and do the whole thing.

wwaswas

As above, conditions on the ground are great at the moment 🙂

Weather does a look like it’s going to be ‘wear lots of sunscreen and drink loads’, though.

Paceman
    Free Member

Ybot, we’ll look out for you, we’re setting off a similar time from the Holiday Inn at Winchester. There’ll be six of us, no distinguishing marks other than lobster tan-lines by mid afternoon 😀

Good info here including water tap locations if anyone else needs it:-

http://www.southdownsdouble.net/routeinfo.html

ybot
    Free Member

Well, we’ll have our white ‘Dorking Cocks’ tops on so we’ll be easy to spot.

c_klein87

planning on next friday, first time for a geared attempt, looking like it’ll be rock hard by then, the x-man triathlon is back for a second year running from eastbourne to winchester next friday night, least it’ll be drier than last year!!

chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com

m1kea
    Free Member

Paceman

If your name is an indication of your abilities then fair play to you if you can do the lot in 8 hours 8)

Best I’ve ever managed one way is 10:47 elapsed Ebo – Winch (at night).

Conditions are good but the forecast (for Shoreham)indicates an easterly wind, which is not really what you want.

Have a good un

rewski
    Free Member

Tempted to do it from EB, wind looks good, or bedgebury insomnia, or just play in Friston Forest and save my legs for Brecon Beacons and Afan next week.

Paceman
    Free Member

m1kea

I’ve done it a couple of times before with my best time being very close to your 10hr47. We’ll be starting a bit earlier than 8am to avoid some of the heat but I can’t see us being sub-10hrs in those temperatures with a head-wind. We’re also quite a mixed-ability group in terms of fitness and hope to stick together.

All good fun and a great day out on the bike, can’t wait 8)

m1kea
    Free Member

Pace

That time was the out lap of my 2nd failed SDD attempt. All the times I’ve done the W – E route have been with others and we’ve generally been out on the trail 12+ hours.

Might have a solo go on the back of the BHF ride in a couple of weeks time.

Last time I hooked onto a part of that was when DaisyDuke did his nightmare SDD ride. When I caught him at 60 miles he’d had seven punctures! 😯

Serious kudos to him for persevering with that 8)

rewski
    Free Member

seven punctures? erm… what tyres?

m1kea
    Free Member

rewski

seven punctures? erm… what tyres?

Clown wheel ones
    / 29ers / err not very good ones

notmyrealname
    Free Member

How did everyone get on then???

wwaswas

All done to a crisp, I suspect…

beaker2135

Well I rode it this weekend, in a more sedate 2 days. Perfect trails and just enough cloud cover to stop you being baked alive.
    No punctures, but I did manage to snap a chain!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else having a crack at the South Downs Way this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.