Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone else had trouble with Specialized cup and cone hubs?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Really odd one this. Wife bought a Rockhopper to ride to work on and I noticed that if the wheel was removed and then replaced, the bars and brake caliper no longer lined up. After a bit of discussion, we managed to get the wheels replaced by Specialized. Mate at work with the higher spec Rockhopper had exactly the same thing happen. Eventually, Specialized replaced his wheels. However, his were replaced with Specialized hubs rather than Shimano like mine. Seems that the front hub still has the same issue.

The shop are trying to say that we're expecting too much from a bike at that level.

I don't think it's too much to ask that when you put the wheel back in the forks, it still passes through the caliper without dragging so much you only get two wheel revolutions from a good spin.

We've had to paint a mark on the axle and the dropout to make sure the orientation is the same each time the wheel goes in otherwise the bars are on the wonk and the brakes rub. I've never seen this before on a bike ever an I've played with more than my fair share. Anyone else ever seen this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Odd description. Pics?

BoardinBob

Spesh hubs on two bikes and no problems. In fact I just serviced one last week after three years without even needing to touch it. Hardrock and FSR XC are the bikes in question.

Esme
    Free Member

Is the axle bent?

bakey

Sounds like the caliper isn't lined up properly. Undo the caliper bolts (with wheel fully secured in the forks) pull in lever, hold, and do up the bolts.

ac282

Same thing happened with my mum's hybrid. She got a new back wheel with a shimano hub and it all works fine.

Specialzed hubs are absolute rubish. Not great on a £1000 bike.

BoardinBob

Specialzed hubs are absolute rubish.

I just serviced one last week after three years without even needing to touch it

Onzadog
    Free Member

The axle isn't bent and the calliper isn't mis-aligned. The hubs on the wife's FSR are fine as are the hubs on my tricross. In fact, the hubs we have issue with run smooth and seal as well as anything else of that price.

The issue is that you can set up the calliper to run without any contact and set the bars up straight. Then, drop the wheel out and turn the axle a quarter turn, refit and the calliper and stem are no longer aligned. I can see exactly what the problem is and it's a manufacturing thing. It can't be adjusted out. It looks like the axle doesn't share the axis with the hub shell.

I got no feedback from Specialized about this and the shop sad they'd never seen it before. They thought the lock nuts were not square (but it wasn't that). However, if it's what I think it is, I'd imagine the problem would be more wide spread.

Try it on your own Specialized hubs. Mark the axle with some tipex or such. Now try the axle at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock and have a look at the rotor relative the the calliper. That relationship shouldn't change. These hubs are centred at 12 and 6, rub the outside pad at 3 and the inside pad at 9. (and yes, I do know how to fit a wheel properly in the drop out and no, there's no stray paint. I'd also be impressed if I could fit a wheel that badly with such consistency!)

I'm glad to hear from ac282 that it's not just me who's noticed this!

Cynic-al, not sure it's something that could be seen in pic. Certainly not any I'm capable of taking. I'm far better with a spoke key than a camera!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else had trouble with Specialized cup and cone hubs?’ is closed to new replies.