Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone else had this problem with Endura shorts?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Just been out for a ride and my Endura Zymes are getting a bit annoying – the button popper keeps popping itself off! It was fine to start with but seems to have loosened up a lot, unpops really easily. I'd be a bit annoyed if I paid full price for these, got less than a months use out of them I think.. Any ideas for sorting it out so I can get some more life out of them?

Could just be that I'm too fat for them, but tbh anything looser would be hanging off my arse!

nickc

Yep, it's reasonably common I think. I think you'd probably be able to get them to replace it for you, but you'd have to weigh up the hassle of shipping them back up to Endura. Their cheaper end products aren't great IME

zaskar
    Free Member

Ring Endura and they will get you to send it to them for repair or exchange.

Unless you can get back to the shop you bought it. Need receipt too.

(Endura fixed my stealth which was coming away at the seams.)

trail_rat
    Free Member

"I think you'd probably be able to get them to replace it for you, but you'd have to weigh up the hassle of shipping them back up to Hope"

would be a right hassle when hope phone you and ask why you sent them some shorts….

endura are cheap – warrenty is pretty good BUT speed is not on there side … 5 months and counting for a pair of gloves that failed in less than month and 4 months for a pair of stealth lite bib longs – they tried to fob me off with stealth tights but i paid for lite biblongs and i only ride in bibs so why do i want tights !

surfer
    Free Member

Mine do this but only cos I am carrying a few more pounds than I am comfortable with!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive got 2 pairs – one pair(green) have a really weak popper – so bad that i cant wear them on the bike at all, the other pair (camo) slightly better – both crap though!

nickc

😳 edited..one British company producing low end 3rd rate shoddy goods, to another…plus ca change…

angryratio
    Free Member

I've got some *insert random product name-it escapes me* baggies that hav'nt really worn as well as they should.
    The seams on the crotch are coming to bits.

What annoys me is i have cheap tesco "fashion" shorts which i also use on the bike and paid 10 quid for. I've had the cheap tesco ones for years.

LsD
    Free Member

Yup, cheapo crap is extremely durable………it's one of fate's little jests.

grim168
    Free Member

I'm going back to leisure lakes with a pair of singletrack shorts tomorrow. seam fraying on waistband where pocket is attatched. worn twice. i even still have the tags, never mind the receipt.

gab344
    Free Member

Also got the faulty Zyme popper. IMHO Endura have some pretty serious/random Q-A issues. Did contact them, but got nowhere. Had issues with sone singletrack 3/4's too, same story, I generaly try to avoid endura shorts now if poss 🙁 WTG endura customer sevice ..not.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah i avoid them nowadays – most endura gear ive ever had has been shite.

oldgit
    Free Member

Humvees were pants, wrong sized inners supplied although they were tagged in, the the zip just fell away from the flies.
    Bought some Endura 3/4 at the same time and fell apart over one winter.

It's not me all my other kit last ages without exception.
    My lightweight cheaper Nalini kit has been doing XC, CX and road duties for five years both racing and liesure.

Del

a tap square on with a hammer should flare out the inner bit of the popper to make it more snug. did on mine anyway.
    endura – great design let down by shoddy execution and QC IMO. shame. could be much better, but they routinely spoil the boat for a ha'peth of tar.

_tom_
    Free Member

Hmm I'll have a go at widening the inner popper then. I don't seem to have many other options other than Endura or Altura as I'm at the large end of the scales, need about a 40-41" waist!

Are Altura things made better? I just dont want a popper that loses its stiffness after a few opens/closes! the Flexx and Altitudes look alright:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altura_Flexx_Baggy_Short_-_Without_Liner/5360048660/

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3952

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    Hmm I'll have a go at widening the inner popper then. I don't seem to have many other options other than Endura or Altura as I'm at the large end of the scales, need about a 40-41" waist!

Are Altura things made better? I just dont want a popper that loses its stiffness after a few opens/closes! the Flexx and Altitudes look alright

I'm surprised that you could get Endura XXL to fit, I bought some via the classifieds here and they are **** tiny – given them away to a mate. Altura XXLs should fit, sounds like I'm a simialr shape to you and Altura XXLs are a real XXL size. My biggest problem with Altura shorts/trousers is that the supplied belts are crap, and need replacing with something else straight away. Poppers on them seem decent, they don't fly open randomly against my ever increasing gut.

_tom_
    Free Member

haha sounds good, I'll have to get myself a pair of Alturas then I guess! My waist is always shrinking so I'm cautious about spending too much on clothes, although it has slowed down a lot recently.

finbar
    Free Member

I've had problems with everything i've bought from Endura being sh1t.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

My Zymes are fine apart from the adjuster-thingies on the sides – would much prefer belt loops as I have to size up the waist to encompass my giant, powerful thighs (read large arse).

Had 2 or 3 pairs of Hummvees, which I love dearly but I tend to rip the ass out of them pretty quickly.(again, more the fault of my oversized behind rather than the quality) Zymes much harder wearing material.

bawbag
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Endura Singletrack shorts from Wiggle. Six months later and all the seams on the inside leg were worn out. Sent them back to Wiggle and got a full refund no questions asked. A £65 pair of shorts should last longer than six months.

speaker2animals

Yep. I took mine to a local clothes maker/repairer and had a big jean button and hole done on em. £5 and miles better. If you have a good dressmaker (that was the word I couldn't think of last sentence) you could even get two button holes made to give you some extra adjustment. If you're a fat knacker like me who has a winter/summer waist variation.

Personally I wish Endura would use this type of fastener than press studs. I have e-mailed that idea to them in the past. Maybe it's a cost thing. I assume that fitting the two parts of a press stud is a quick machine operation where fitting a jeans button would be a similar machine action but I assume that stitching around a button hole is a longer process and maybe partially a manual operation.

stu1972
    Free Member

My 3/4 humvee shorts were faulty from day one. Pop stud pops off dead easy and the belt slackens itself off during a ride. To be fair to Endura, they did give me an RMA number to return the shorts but I couldnt be bothered.

I just live it, worst case is my arse bared to all on the trail!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

In the interests of fairness I've had my 3/4 humvees for best part of a year and had no issues apart from forgetting where i've put stuff beacuse there are so many pockets!
    It does upset me having to order xxl size though!

jojoA1
    Free Member

It's a shame as their kit used to be fantastic quality. I have a pair of MT500 lycra shorts that I bought in 2005 and they still look newish. Considering they've been hammered in many races and general wear and tear, that's good quality. Contrast that with my humvees bought a year ago that are fraying at the seams and the liners that have never been used because I can barely get my arm through the legs, never mind my thighs….

A company grown too busy too quickly perhaps?

banginon

I took mine to the wee sewing / repairs shop and the replaced the popper with a proper brass button for £3. Cheaper than posting the shorts back to endura. I like the Zymes for riding and hanging about in.

Any sent I've back to endura from the shop have been replaced no problem so I wouldn't knock the company too much.

petefromearth

It's a shame as their kit used to be fantastic quality. I have a pair of MT500 lycra shorts that I bought in 2005 and they still look newish

my experience as well. their older lycra stuff is ace – on a par with stuff at twice the price

but i bought some of their top end baggies last year. after literally 3 months use, they started to fall apart. glued seams around fly separated, chamois stitching failed, endura logos all peeling off. never buying endura again – my new sombrio shorts are comfy and seem very well made

product testing bike shorts – is it that difficult??

sorry rant over – can't stand to buy nice stuff that just falls apart!

will1
    Free Member

The quality of Endura stuff is crap. DHB stuff from Wiggle is far better IMO.

BadlyWiredDog

Mine did that. Simple answer

1. Pop down your local market, or sewing emporium if you live darn sarf.

2. Buy a pop-stud kit for a couple of quid.

3. Install a second popper alongside the original one so you now have two poppers. Takes about two minutes using a hammer and a braddle.

4. Luxuriate in having Zymes that now longer pop open at the slightest hint of movement.

5. Go ride your bike.

bassspine
    Free Member

I just squeezed the sides of the popper gently with a pair of pliers. It's easier than losing some weight.

For the record, I have two pairs of Humvee longs that are 3 years old (I've worn them daily almost all of that time) and a pair of 3/4s that are even older. I have just paid a local seamstress to fit a new fly in one of the pairs of longs (£8) but that seems good value to me.

aviemoron
    Free Member

My old Endura kit = good, new baggy singletrack shorts, seams split v early = bad. Might stump up for some new Assos shorts, Lycra – of course.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Same problem with my MT500 shorts – popper comes undone and the belt buckle is too lightweight. I've been using Endura for years but the new stuff seems to have quality control issues and their gloves are really Krap now with a really poor fit.

grim168
    Free Member

Called in leisure lakes this morning and was offered exchange or refund. Took another pair 'cause I really like them. We'll see how this pair goes.

_tom_
    Free Member

Squeezing in the popper seems to have worked ok for now, will no doubt loosen up again soon though!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else had this problem with Endura shorts?’ is closed to new replies.