Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone else got or ridden a carbon 29er Scalpel.
  • granny_ring

Bought a second hand frame and lefty and looking for some info/advice etc before/if I build it up.
    Total build weights would be useful too 🙂 My small frame/lefty/stem & front mech weigh 10lbs so what’s a realistic total build with xt drive chain and brakes…?
    I’m still using old school threaded bb’s on my other bikes so what do I need for the scalpel?
    Not a great pic with the camera flash but the internal measurement of the cups is around 41-42mm diameter. Can I fit an adapter in here to use my shimano cranks?

I did think about going 1×10/11 but think I’ll stay with a triple up front until I get some fitness.

TIA

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ll have to fit the BB30 bearings and use 24mm adaptors

jonnyboi

24lbs for my medium 2015 model. 1×11 mainly X01, carbon seatpost and bars, stans crest rims and racing Ralph/Rocket Ron evo tyres, magura mt4 brakes (which suck)

wheely
    Free Member

I have a 2017 model – bought 1 week ago (2nd hand but pristine). Awesome bit of kit and rides excellent. The 2017 geometry means it’s pretty good on technical sections and for trail riding.

Absolutely loving mine.

stevego
    Free Member

I think mine is 2014 or 2015 (bought it dec 2014). I have had two frames replaced under warranty (the original cracked just above the front derailer mount, the second under the bottom bracket, neither was crash damage). Warranty service here in Aus was great, no issues. The original reynolds rear hub was a nightmare also, paid to have it upgraded to a swiss DT hub and has been brilliant since. Now runs XTR 1X11 and XTR race brakes, is about 11 kg including pedals and running proper (not stupid light) tires (frame is large). Lefty fork is brilliant.

jonnyboi

Couple of things, there’s a spacer at the top of the headstock thar can swap to underneath to slacken the head angle. And learn how to reset the fork needle bearings, depending on your fork it’s a five minute job

granny_ring

Cheers guys.
    Any advice of which adapters and bearings?

jonnyrockymountain

Don’t use those adaptors they are shite, praxis or wheels manufacturing will do a bottom bracket for that frame to use shimano cranks, personally go 1×10 or 1×11 3x or 2x is so old school 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Thanks to the pesky molded in retaining lip (as can be seen in your nice big photo up there) the Praxis one won’t fit. And according to Wheels Mfg ,neither will theirs.
    So unless you fancy whipping the dremel out, you’re stuck with option A (tbh they’re not the best but beggars etc).

parkesie
    Free Member

Would the hope pressfit bb work? They do them for 30mm and 24mm axles.

granny_ring

Thanks to the pesky molded in retaining lip (as can be seen in your nice big photo up there) the Praxis one won’t fit. And according to Wheels Mfg ,neither will theirs.
    So unless you fancy whipping the dremel out, you’re stuck with option A (tbh they’re not the best but beggars etc).

Balls, really? I was hoping they would push out. So what are the options for bb and what cranks can I run. Sorry not got a clue with these bb’s.
    Cheers

wiggles
    Free Member

The bearings sit directly in the frame, there is no BB as such just bearings. So those adaptors are your only choice really.

Bearings are just a 6806 IIRC so can be bought easily enough.

granny_ring

OK ta. Is it better to run with bb30 rather than use the adapters? What’s up with the adapters, crap sealing?

jonnyboi

shouldn’t that frame take PF30?

Edit: answered my own question, scalpel 2 had bb30 fitted with wheels Mfc adapter and the scalpel team had PF30.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got or ridden a carbon 29er Scalpel.’ is closed to new replies.