• This topic has 37 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Anyone else got a god-awful Virgin Tivo box ?
  • pearlbaz
    Free Member

Resetting the bloody thing again because its frozen, Takes an eternity to fire up from a reset. Slower than my nans old ITT telly to wake up, constantly freezing or slow to search. Right box of shite. Cant wait til contracts up.

Grrrr…

enfht
    Free Member

Not to mention the remote designed to roll off any surface and fall on the bloody floor.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yes. I love the broadband, the router is great. The tivo box has about as much processing power as a casio calculator. Totally not fit for purpose. Even the the virgin so called engineer said the boxes were shit. His words.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pearlbaz
    Free Member

Thats the least of my problems. Its bulky and ugly, but im not allowed to use it. The box is the source of more arguments than anything. It was an upgrade, and its in my name, so its all my fault i guess

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Agreed, the bb and phone are no problems. Email has been flaky lately, but for nearly a hundred quid a month, should i be resetting the box 2-3 times a week and putting up with hopeless customerservice from Virgin When it works, its fine, it just doesnt work very often.

mildred

To be fair, ours was working shit until earlier this week. I rang up virgin and after repeating myself 20 times they agreed there was an issue and reset it at their end. It. Ow works fine. The broadband, however, is shockingly slow. I upgraded to the super fast thingy and it’s actually slowed down.

nash

Whenever I’ve had problems with my Tivo they’ve been pretty good at replacing them, although the last time I had to contact Customer Services 3 times, and eventually they sent me out a new box to install myself. Usually also better to call during office hours so there’s more chance of connection to a UK call centre.

Also it’s worth haggling at renewal time and they can reduce it.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Weve phoned, they’ve reset it, we’ve reset it. Its ok for a few days, It soon reverts to form though. Not fit for purpose isnt in it. Of course, when you phone them, they resolve the problem at the time, and it functions ok for a few days, then its back to square one, cancelling the suggested recordings, going thru a series of button pushes…and it still freezes mid-stream.

Pah !

mechanicaldope

We had an engineer out for a broadband problem. He removed the credit card thing from the tivo box saying it wasn’t needed and could slow the box down. Maybe worth a try?

pearlbaz
    Free Member

nash- They say my tivo box is fine when they interrogate it…how many boxes have they replaced? I thought I was patient !!

DrJ

Virgin are 100% shite. Tivo is crap, as descibed above, and the BB is up and down like a sailor’s trousers. Only a lot s-l-o-w-e-r.

project
    Free Member

Riding round wirral a virgin telecoms wired area, the number of damaged control box locations is unbelievable doors hanging off, parts missing inside, cables exposed etc, and their drivers dont seem to have any ability to drive a van at below speed limits, and why every week does pop it in pete the postman deliver a 4 sized virgin literature telling mre i can have spare tivo boxes and various freebies if i subscribe for huge amounts of cash per month.

sadmadalan

I have two of the TiVo boxes and both behave themselves. Perhaps I am the lucky customer. They are a little slow but other than that I have very little trouble with them. The problem with them is that technology has moved on so quickly that they have aged badly. If they had a faster chip and a SSD then they would be far better.

The UI is a disaster, but then it always have been. I know that they have been rolling out come changes, but they need to spend more effort on getting this to match what Sky do.

cchris2lou

mine is working fine too . sometimes a bit slow in the menus but that is about it . had a lot of trouble when first upgraded to the 200mb service , mainly with my son x box in his bedroom upstairs .
    after 2 weeks of trouble , finally got told that it was a known issue with xbox . got some powerlines from ebay . been fine ever since ( need to restart powerline every few weeks ) . wifi is 120mb , with ipad , laptop , 2 phones etc…

nash

I had to go through a few calls when they remotely reset the box, and after about three of these with me saying this wasn’t good enough they relented and sent me a new box – the only thing I suggest is that you don’t give up.

The boxes themselves are not as good as Sky’s, but I don’t really have a choice where i live – if I did I would have left, although I’ve got friends who’ve had nightmares with BT and Sky too.

sc-xc

[able to post as I have moved from V*rg*n]

Bag of shit.

I pity anyone still on V*rg*n, by a country mile the shiitest of the shit.

TiVo? Click – click – click – click – click -click -click -click – click…menu. Click -click -click – click bollox **** off.

Branston is a nob.

superfli
    Free Member

Blimey! A lot of hate for virgin! Had my TiVo replaced maybe 18 months ago (failed to stay after I foolishly rebooted it), pretty much same as it was previously. Not restarted it since I don’t think. It is slow though, but I’m patient. I can understand it’s slower than pretty much anything out there there, but I had a Symbian phone until 4 years ago lol!

newrobdob
    Free Member

Well I was on virgin for years until recently, box replaced next day a couple of times over the 5-6 years I was with them, including once on a bank holiday. Never had a single problem with the blisteringly fast broadband and customer services were excellent whenever I contacted them, doing what they said they would do and fast too. Signing up for them at the new house.

I’m extremely particular about good service and customer relations after working in retail most of my career and I couldn’t fault them.

Just my experience!

pearlbaz
    Free Member

but my tivo box is crap. They reset, i reset it, its good for a couple of days, then it starts freezing, an becomes unwatchable…..ive made my point, broadband great, phone fine, tivo crap, service crap, wife unhappy, me distressed.

im getting an aerial

Leku
    Free Member

I’m in the process of getting rid of the virgin tv.
    Turns out when they fitted the virgin tv cable they cut my aerial cable in half as it was in the way.
    Complained 2 weeks ago and still haven’t heard back from them.

Arsehats.

davosaurusrex

They did the same to our BT cable but they do it on purpose. I complained at the time but they just denied it. Subsequently I was on a first aid course with one of their managers who told me “well it’s tit for tat, they cut our cables and we cut theirs”. So don’t hold your breath…

jimdubleyou

Our tivo has been fine for as long as we’ve had it – maybe 2 or 3 years?

That said, their price rises are unsustainable. We’ve cut down to minimal TV & phone & just get the superfast 200Mb.

sparkyrhino

After moving to a new build, we went with virgin,(although i work for bt but no fibre until next year)got the tv bb package, as it was the same price as Bb/phone only.BB is spot on.Had sky in last house,we only watch around 2hours of tv a week if that, but the difference between a sky hd box and the tivo box is vast,the tivo box is utter gash just use the tv’s built in freeview for the dribble of tv we watch

pondo

Gotta speak as you find – we’ve been on Virgin maybe six or seven years and tivo’s been fine, had one replaced when FiL tripped the electrics in the whole house but loads of space and it all seems to work fine. Not quick, but not painful slow.

VanHalen

I hate ours. Bb shit. TV shit. Need to sort the aerial out ASAP.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Just had my new setup installed, installers were great and did a really neat job. All working fine and well chuffed!

footflaps

I upgraded to the super fast thingy and it’s actually slowed down

We had that after they upgraded us and gave us a new router. Turned out to be a misconfiguration at their end…..

SammyC
    Free Member

We’ve just been upgraded to full TV, phone and 200mb broadband because I was trying to leave. £33 a month.

Looking forward to the crashing of the TiVo box by the looks of it, and our broadband seems to be slower than before.

Lovely

kayak23

We’ve just been upgraded to full TV, phone and 200mb broadband because I was trying to leave. £33 a month.

Hmmm. Do you advise trying to leave? My girlfriend has it and it’s soooooo slow it’s nuts.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

im just worried, im liable to pay up til the end of the contract. Can you quote not fit for purpose and cancel? They know if and what you are watching, so if i quit and put my freeview box back on, am i still liable to pay for the crap tv service?

SammyC
    Free Member

I didn’t want to leave the broadband, so had cancelled the TV and phone. About a week after I got a call from retentions offering me basically everything for the same price I was offered for just the broadband.

I would have been happy to drop the TV and phone as don’t use either personally but the kids are ecstatic about the trillion kids TV channels. :-/

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I left VM a month ago for BT Fibre. Or TiVo box was OK but got slow and I couldn’t understand why it was recording really obscure shows either… Ones we’d never watched. Perhaps thinking it would interest us?
    Their CS is totally rubbish, took me over 40 min on the phone to cancel the contract. It shouldn’t be that hard.
    Very pleased with BT so far.

Caher

Opposite to the above, moved to BT now really miss Virgin TiVo

BigJohn

My Tivo is a bit slow but if I control it using the TV anywhere app I get straight to where I want.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

im just worried, im liable to pay up til the end of the contract. Can you quote not fit for purpose and cancel?

Yes you can. We’ve just done that with our Virgin package.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Our TiVo box was a bit slow until we got a new remote. The text on the buttons had worn off so I rang them and they sent me a new one in the post. The box is so much faster with the new remote you wouldn’t believe it is the same box. We still have the old remote and the box slows right down if we use it. Seems like it confuses itself. Random.

wrecker
    Free Member

Virgin may not be great but they are a pajillion times better than BT.
    I was getting 12meg through BT, I’m getting over 200 with virgin!
    The BT router was probably the worst piece of hardware I have ever had the mispleasure of using.
    The virgin chap said that they were installing the new TIVO boxes to everyone for a couple of months but they aren’t now. He said that there must be a problem with them.

Haze

Never liked the UI but decided to give it another go after sending the last one back.

It’s crap to be honest, I could get past the multiple menus if it wasn’t so annoyingly slow.

Wish we could have the old HD box back..

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got a god-awful Virgin Tivo box ?’ is closed to new replies.