Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone else get weeping tyres?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I’ve got On One 650b tyres on one of my bikes. The Chunky Monkey on the front is absolutely perfect, but the Smorgasbord on the back constantly weeps fluid ever so slightly as though it’s coming through tiny little pinpricks.

Does anyone else get this, or know of a way to sort it? It’s not bad enough to make me get shot of the tyre until I wear it out, but it is annoying enough to make me think I’ll go back to Maxxis next time, despite the good price saving.

mark90
    Free Member

My rear DHR2 EXO weeps through the side walls so don’t think Maxxis are immune to it. My other Maxxis tyres seem ok though.

jimdubleyou

My Schwalbe Nobby Nics wept for a few weeks when I first did them, haven’t done it for a while though.

funkmasterp

Vee Bulldozer I had used to weep when it was really warm. Like an Echidna excreting milk!

Squirrel

Yeah, same will my Spesh Purgatory Grids. Just have to keep topping up. Looks a greasy mess though.

superstu
    Free Member

My specialized storm control weeps really badly. Keep topping up and seems to have stopped the worse but definitely still doing it to a lesser extent.

Never had trouble with the maxxis but that may be luck.

qwerty
    Free Member

Yea, my WTB Vigilante, Trail Boss & Cross Boss all do it. Weird though cos you’d a thought the “sealant” woulda, erm, sealed ’em……

hillsplease

Yes. Maxxis Schwalbe and others. Typically if I have run the front tyre too soft and there has been some wear or delamination on the side walls. Not on DH tyres. More prevalent on lightweight tyres.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, got it on my continentals. Very irritating as I get goo on me every time I put it on the roof rack!

jimmy

Yep, my tyres do this. I don’t get it – is intentional to make the fluid seal them up? I don’t see why they aren’t made to be fully sealed.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

jonnyboi

I have schwalbe RoRo/RaRa evos on my 29er and 650b. Identical apart from wheel size. One set weeps the other doesn’t….

philjunior
    Free Member

My tires pretty much all do this (on and off at least).

Yep, my tyres do this. I don’t get it – is intentional to make the fluid seal them up? I don’t see why they aren’t made to be fully sealed.

Originally UST tyres didn’t need sealant, and most people didn’t use it on them, but they weighed more and the sealant makes things more puncture resistant (of course).

scotroutes

This subject comes up repeatedly. It’s very common and not an issue.

chevychase

DHR EXO on my rear does – my front not. I scuff the sidewalls of my rear tyre way more than the front and after about 12 months wear they start to just be wet. Not before heavy wear tho for me.

How often do you change your tyres?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Yep my current DHR Exo does to which is annoying as the last didn’t at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

That used to happen before I used tubeless ready tyres.

deadkenny
    Free Member
    drofluf
    Free Member

My Smorgsabords do the same, never caused a problem.

epicyclo

No weeping.

My tyres and my tubes are quite happy. 🙂

kermit
    Free Member

Looks like I’m not alone then! 🙂

It doesn’t cause a problem in terms of going flat on a ride or anything like that, but it doesn’t half make everything messier!

oikeith

Hans Dampf and Spesh Slaughter weeping for me. I just think to myself each weep could have been an innertube and thank god I went tubeless!

I have just picked up some of the Stans Race stuff, apparently it seals better, I am expecting to see less weeping…

larkim
    Free Member

Got both CM and Smorgasbords running tubeless in our household, not noticed either of them weeping with Stans fluid.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else get weeping tyres?’ is closed to new replies.