Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone else find Nobby Nics dicey in the wet?
  • roger_mellie

Just started using the fabled NN/ Racing Ralph combo and I realise they’re prob more suited to drier conditions, but the NN doesn’t inspire confidence in damp grass and mud with its preference to go sideways rather than straight on. Anyone else find this?
    I prefer to fit and forget tyres and leave them on all year, so am thinking of swapping the Nobby Nic for a Continental Mountain King protection. Any other suggestions? I don’t like very draggy tyres if that helps.
    Cheers

JCL
    Free Member

Dicey in the dry too. Sh*t tyres.

mt
    Free Member

tried small block 8’s. I call them skill improvers. See if you look at them like that it’s more positive though I do accept that it’s a difficult call when your sat in the mud.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Found them a bit “iffy” in most conditions… like they were running with pressure too low.
    Bonty MudX back on now, nice and predictable !!

tazzymtb

never had a problem with them in the slightest….have you tried learning some bike skills?

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve never understood the fascination with them.
    Maxxis Advantage?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

They’re a great tyre, used them in mini dh races even. They wear kick though, and once theyre worn theyre useless.

roger_mellie

Cool, glad its not just me.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Never had a problem with them..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A month or so in – yes, I have been disappointed with the grip (and the noise when you have a stretch of tarmac to ride)

large418
    Free Member

Often tyres are blamed as being crap when it is just the pressure that needs adjusting.

There is no correct pressure, as it depends on your weight and the trail conditions (and other stuff probably), but are you running them too hard?

FWIW – I am 70kg, and my front 26inch N/Nic (ghetto tubeless) normally has 30psi and grips well in wet and dry conditions. If I stick 40psi it skates like a good un.

bowglie

just out of interest, what version of NN are we talking about here? is it the triple star/pacestar or performance compound?

tazzymtb

also depends if you have a decent compound tyre or a cheapy OEM version. The rubber is very different

dantsw13

S’funny, I’ve just lent my spare bike to a mate for a few weeks. It has Nobny Nics on it. He raves about how grippy they have been in the wet. Maybe not as good a deep mud tyre as a MudX, but still good. Maybe the OEM ones with the harder rubber compound and wire beads aren’t as good.

Northwind

Mine were decent enough til the knobs wore a little, but after just a few rides they’d lost an awful lot of their grip. Puncturey, too.

bigjim

just about to put my NN’s back on for the winter, great tyres for the wet. I wouldn’t fancy the cheap/hard version in the wet though.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve used Nic’s in the wet and dry, on: rocks, sludge, snow, dust, loam and roots. I’ve used mud-x in the same, and Ralphs, and SB8, and Bont xr4, and Ardent, and… You get the picture.

If you want more grip – DROP THE PRESSURE!

If you are getting pinch flats – use a higher volume tyre and/or run it tubeless.

If you are still hitting the rim – learn to manual/lift the back wheel.

Pick a tyre you like the look of, because it’s all in the mind.

roger_mellie

For the record they’re evo double defence pacestar 2.25 at no more than 30 psi and I’m about 13stone. Not the cheapo version.
    May try fiddling about with pressures.
    Ta

Edit: on the front.

Moda
    Free Member

I also felt the nic squirmed in mud, try a minion dhf they excel in almost all conditions, just wish they made a 29er version

P20

I use nobby nics all year round. I like them

lordmerchant
    Free Member

use em all year front and rear, love em – great for hammering tight corners i reckon.

singlespeedstu

try a minion dhf they excel in almost all conditions, just wish they made a 29er version

They’re supposed to be coming soon.

No problems here with the 29×2.35 Nic though.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I use Nics on the front, I find them a bit sketchy in mud, however IMO only a dedicated mud tyre would be better in those conditions (I’ve also used Minions, Advantages, Panaracers etc). For the other 99% of my average rides they’re spot on !

Kryton57

dantsw13 – Member
    S’funny, I’ve just lent my spare bike to a mate for a few weeks. It has Nobny Nics on it. He raves about how grippy they have been in the wet. Maybe not as good a deep mud tyre as a MudX, but still good. Maybe the OEM ones with the harder rubber compound and wire beads aren’t as good.

This – the Orc compound is rubbish. I’ve just finished a ride in 3 inches of mud type trails with 2 x tubeless pace star, 28psi front , 30 rear. They were passable at all except short steep slopes where the rear span out. I ridden the and the triple evo’s for 3 years now all over the country with excellent results. Yes the rear wears quicker, and the wear quick on rocks.

Pressure is king with Nics. No more 30 psi for grip max 35 on the rear end.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I used to use the older NN/RR combo for racing and found that the NN are OK when it has been wet in the warmer months as they find grip under the slop where the ground is still hard. In winter I find that they would let go without warning on turns where the ground under the slop is also slop. I have been using the Maxxis Medusas for a while now in winter and find them to be a good compromise between grip and rolling resistance if you are looking to try another tyre.

robhughes
    Free Member

2.4 evo snakeskin here on the spicy.Ride them hard and luv them… 😉

cardo

Just come back from Afan and found the N/N worked great at speed on a variety of surfaces both front and rear, even better when I dropped the pressures a bit, I go by feel rather than using a gauge. Have been using them on the FS and the hardtail for a couple of years and have no complaints other than flints on our local trails love to cut through them, but that can happen to any tyre I spose.

Moda
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu- not sure the 29 minion will ever happen as the prototype was over a year ago an now they may make it in 650 instead

singlespeedstu

😐

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else find Nobby Nics dicey in the wet?’ is closed to new replies.