Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Anyone else feeling unmotivated because of the cold ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

I know I should MTFU but I really can’t be bothered doing anything ATM.

Today I was off work and had planned an all day ride till I felt that the wind was so cold, I ended up taking the signwriting off my car because I’m getting another in 2 weeks.

I’ve never been as cold despite being layered up. Really can’t be bothered with the bike at all. If it was a nice night I’d be out straight away.

Can’t even be bothered going out at night, and if I do, I just go to my mates house where its warm.

Anyone else finding they can’t be bothered at the moment with the cold ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup.

muckytee
    Free Member

I am not going out, far too unpleasant.

If it wasn’t for the wind it would be fine. I don’t have the kit to go riding in temperatures like these anyway, -13c according accuweather’s real feel on my phone. Might even be a bit dangerous…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

I went out for a planned 45mile roadie ride.

It was horrible.

ktmblag
    Free Member

I’ve had the day off too and planned to do the peaks. watched TV instead with the Dog for company

ton

no, i love it, seriously
    different weathers suit different folk. 7 mile each way commute, and just been out with the dog for a hour too.

chvck
    Free Member

Too.Bloody.Cold.

clunker

Man up, put some extra socks on and get out and ride 😆

nicolaisam
    Free Member

went out the last 3 days in a row.

Decided to have a rest day today,Glad i did was very cold and windy

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yup, I managed a few rides last week in shorts and short sleeve top, sweating within 10 minutes of the first climb.

3 weeks of dry and increasingly warm weather was just a tease. Back to reality now.

gnusmas

Went to Nant yr Arian today, properly enjoyed myself, stupidly windy, bitterly cold, snowing but hard packed and dusty trails. Trying to sort out 3 punctures with really cold hands was entertaining though 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

I managed Saturday which was horrible and sunday which was like riding in a nuclear winter with the fallout like snow coming down in the trees, but thats what all this technical clothing is for, it was quite alright and a lot of fun on some very tech stuff in the Quarry in Horsforth.

Northwind

I wouldn’t say unmotivated, but this time last year I went through a grim spell of breaking ribs after falling off on ice, so I think I shall pass on that.

chvck
    Free Member

Went to Nant yr Arian today, properly enjoyed myself

If I still lived in Aberystwyth and could do that then I’d probably be a lot more motivated. As it is living near Oxford and having Boars Hill to ride is somewhat less of a motivator to get out!

neilm
    Free Member

Been doing a lot of road riding in all weathers for the last few months.

Went out to do 30 to 40 miles on Saturday, just as the freezing cold wind came up. Demotivated? You bet! I managed 20 miles with a few decent climbs and was absolutely knackered when I got home.

Today is a riding day, but the force of the wind alone was enough to put me on my turbo instead.

I don’t mind the cold at all, but there are limits!

grum
    Free Member

Went out today, minor blizzard at some points and my cleats were getting clogged up with compacted snow/ice. I only did a very short loop but took it pretty easy on the DH track descent as if i was hurt I would have got very cold very quickly and there was no-one else about.

Was nice to get out but I wouldn’t have been arsed to do a long ride. Wind was brutal.

mtbfix

This is what turbo trainers are for.

neninja
    Free Member

Went out with my 8 year old round Guisborough forest for 9 miles yesterday. It was cold, snowing and windy but we had a good time.

Today it has snowed all day and has now settled a couple of inches deep. Sick of the snow as it melts and freezes to sheet ice every time this year.

MoreCashThanDash

Sacked of a 100k audax ride on Saturday as didn’t fancy being 30 miles from the car in the snow if it went wrong.

Didn’t ride Sunday – Mothers Day and family time.

Commuted 12 miles each way today – laughed myself silly in the snow, fantastic fun. Well, apart from the puncture…..

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s not just riding, it’s pretty much anything outdoorsy I am finding hard to muster up the enthusiasm to do. I was worry thing that I was just becoming lazy and lacking in energy but I was happily reminded last week during the 2 days of warm sunny weather we had that it is just the weather that is spoiling my fun. I was up and out on the bike like a demon during those two days but now I’m back to ‘can’t be arsed’ mode again.

Sick of the cold/wet.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Not missed a beat this winter. Been out in all sorts of wind, rain and snow. I will admit it’s wearing very thin now.

extremo
    Free Member

Our lot just met up at the mid ride cafe instead of riding this weekend. much nicer sitting inside with hot coffee and bacon.

bspoked
    Free Member

Loaded the car this evening with board, bike and sleeping bag and set off for Aviemore. The plan was two days there and then call at Glentress on the way back. I turned round at Kirkby Lonsdale. -4, blizzard and untreated roads. Didn’t seem like the best idea anymore.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I procrastinated till teatime today.
    I eventually went out on the shopper for an hour.
    Enjoyed it, but it was a cold headwind coming out of Wakefield.
    Wowser.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I often tell friends who rave about their hot holidays that I like the cold, but right now it’s just unpleasant. Took the dog for a quick walk, forgot gloves, hand pain was almost unbearable by the time I got home

roverpig

I don’t mind the cold (just dress up warm), but I am very bored of the snow and ice that has been on some of my trails (making them impossible to ride) ever since the end of November. Enough already.

Yak

I and the Mrs had a day booked off work today. Swapped the planned long road ride for a shorter ride on snowy trails with a nice cafe stop mid-ride.

It was cold, windy with driving stinging snow….but the trails were fun and we were riding mid-week in daylight 🙂

We were both on ss, so only frozen pedals/cleats to worry about/kick into submission. Great day off.

For me, as riding time is pretty limited, if i’ve got an opportunity to go i’ll probably take it. I’ll also take bad weather over a turbo session.

tonto
    Free Member

I’m storing up my motivation for warmer weather 🙂

AndyF1
    Free Member

A couple of us made it to Whinlatter today,i`m glad we did…Bitterly cold for sure and the 1.8 tyres were not the best move considering the conditions.
    We soon warmed up with coffee and soup in the cafe come greenhouse though.

postierich
    Free Member

No I like the cold! got sent home from work as it was to dangerous to bang letters through letter boxes so I rode my bike instead there was a fierce wind coming from the left! 😕

Sancho
    Free Member

Im also moving to Madrid on Wednesday so anyone know the riding near there

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Not missed a beat this winter. Been out in all sorts of wind, rain and snow. I will admit it’s wearing very thin now.

This.

doom_mountain

Cold is great.
    Went out yesterday morning before work, frozen mud, fast trails.
    Day off tomorrow, more frozen mud and less ramblers around Keswick 😉

mrelectric

I always find it easier get warm in winter than keep cool on summer so love it. After a most of a year of rain, frozen ground is a treat & pleasure . Less vegetation to deal with, fewer people, dogs etc.
    Baildon Moor was pretty hard with frost yesterday but got a load of soon-freezing mud clagged on so will stop worrying about a few weight-weenie grams.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think its the best riding its been for a while, the trails are hard and fast and you don’t come back with your bike covered in mud .get the sock and glove liners on and get out there !

banks
    Free Member

Been riding more than ever, sometimes 2 in day – just get a decent meal in between rides. Happily have endless months of freezing weather that summer/autumn/spring etc.

The beast/road road/potato alley etc had it to ourselves all day too, love it!

D0NK

opposite, cold weather is easy to combat, it’s wind and rain that’s tricky (and snow and ice can cause other trouble). Wrap up warm and off you go.

Disclaimer: it’s a cold dry still day here in the NW, perfect for riding, YMMV in other parts of the country

binners

mr potatohead is bang on. The trails are in better nick that they’ve been for close on 12 months, I reckon. firm and fast, like they most certainly haven’t been all through last ‘summer’.

Get out and enjoy them while you can, before the ‘Wet Season’ (April-Dec) returns, you bunch of lords!!! 😉

IHN

My bike ride this morning was basically horrible, it was one of the probably only a handful of rides that I’ve ever done that I positively disliked. My legs had nothing in them after about ten minutes and my hands were excruciatingly painful from the cold. My chest still hurts from breathing in the cold air and my fingers are still tingling 🙁

Still, I did just MTFU and do it and it served a purpose (as shown by the post-ride weigh in, 1.5 kg ff this week 🙂 )

SamB
    Free Member

Definitely being put off by the cold this week… I was ill last week so skipped a load of training, feeling better this week but absolutely no desire to go out in this temperature!

I’m supposed to be running to/from work as well, and that is not happening. Even with gloves and ear warmers on!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else feeling unmotivated because of the cold ?’ is closed to new replies.