Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Anyone else fed up with seeing discarded lukozade bottles all over the place?
  • surfer
    Free Member

Some of the worst litter I have seen was around Llandegla a couple of weeks ago. What type of cycling god needs bottles and packets of this crap to get around Llandegls?
    If you tough enough to carry it up when its full you are tough enough to carry it down when its empty.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Some of the worst litter I have seen was around Llandegla a couple of weeks ago. What type of cycling god needs bottles and packets of this crap to get around Llandegls?
    If you tough enough to carry it up when its full you are tough enough to carry it down when its empty.

They’re just following the example set by the pro riders they see on Freecaster or the Eurosport channel.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What type of cycling god needs bottles and packets of this crap to get around Llandegls?

I hate the stuff, but to get the pro look whilst nailing trail centres I take empty packs out of the car park bin to discard as I hammer past other riders.

bigblackshed

I’ll have to beg to differ on whether GSK give a monkeys about waste. I work for their partner, Logoplaste, who make their plastic bottles. 2 years ago we moved on to the GSK site at Coleford in the FOD and now produce approx 1 billion bottles a year on site. That means 1 less lorry on the road bringing empty bottles (basically thin air) on to site every 20 minutes. 24/7.

All of the bottles have undergone light-weighting. There’s less plastic in each bottle by on average 10%. The whole site recycles everything. Zero to landfill target. Not quite there but close.

GSK installed a gas turbine generator to supply half of the site electrical and all of the steam requirements. Rather than laying new cables across the Bristol Channel and pylons through the FOD at a cost of £120 million.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

But you still produce plastic bottles – green CSR propaganda.
    It’s really “we are still helping litter the planet, but in a lower cost manner.”

justatheory
    Free Member

Litter dropping really winds me up. It’s not just the act itself – which is disgusting – but the selfishness it represents. People who drop litter out of their car windows really get to me, why can’t they keep it in their car and dispose of it at their destination?

I live in Cheetham Hill in Manchester, which is really bad for Lucozade bottles – usually consumed by kids, do they really have ADHD or are they just drugged to the eyeballs on glucose? People frequently flytip the field where I walk my dog, despite the existence of a free Council bulk refuse collection service, it’s more effort to dump it!

I recently pulled up one of my neighbours in the friendliest way I could, because she was throwing bottles on to the road, despite being stood next to her recycle bin. When I pointed this out she said “They aren’t mine and someone gets paid to clean ’em up anyway”.

I need to move and get some perspective. When did I become a moaning old man? 👿

andywoods
    Free Member

couldnt believe what i saw yesterday, oldish guy walking towards me yesterday with 1 empty bottle just picked up then stopped and picked up another and carried on walking, there i was thinking good thoughts when he walked past a half empty skip then threw them in the hedgeback near railway line few steps further on, was too gobsmacked to say anything

project
    Free Member

Tesco did have recycling machines at some stores where you could put bottles and cans in the vending machine with your clubcard abnd earn green points, SADLY some muppets also decided to put burning newspaper in the slots and burnt them out.

ryreed
    Free Member

Apparently it’s not cool to put litter in a bin. The other thing that gets to me is dog ***t.

It’s all just an extension of the same “not my problem culture” compounded by the fact that suggesting to an individual that they are acting like an arse by littering etc is some sort of terrible insult. If you were to say to a kid littering that he should pick up his rubbish and put it in a bin there is a fair chance that their parent would follow up with some kind of “how dare you” statement which just gives the kid, and eventually/collectively, a good chunk of society a god given right to do exactly as they like – regardless of the effect on others. Not that it is just kids by any stretch of the imagination.

I used to make a point of saying something to people that littered, or to people that used to walk away from dog mess on the city pavement. I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t worth the risk when living in Glasgow city and have moved to an area where it happens a bit less. It’s not like I’m an old moany git either, I just can’t see any reason for it. That’s the problem with the people that do it though…a total lack of reason.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Once scared the wits out a female motorist whom flicked her cigarette butt out of her window, unforetunately she wasn’t looking and didn’t see me roll up along side her at the lights, the aforementioned cigarette butt hitting me as I stopped, i politely coughed to get her attention picked up the butt and with a cheery “I believe this is yours” dropped it back into her car (ensuring I had put it out) then casually cycled away…

…she sat there in disbelief for a while, and gave me a wide berth when she passed me a little way down the road.

Bunnyhop

Todays good deed was to start collecting the blown away ‘celebration balloons’, which with the prevailing wind from that Manchester and Stockport, always end up in the lovely countryside around the Peak District.
    They’re easy to spot up in trees and hedges due to the bright colours.
    One down, one hundred to go.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else fed up with seeing discarded lukozade bottles all over the place?’ is closed to new replies.