Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone else facing redundancy?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Just been out at a New Year uni reunion – and of the group of about 12, 2 have just been made redundant and one has to reapply for his job next week.

These are all experienced (15+ years) people, graduates, in London and the South East.

All the news is that the economy is ok, growth expected to continue in 2015, unemployment continuing to fall and wages beginning to rise, but this anecdotal experience is anything but supporting such a positive outlook…

Anyone else facing redundancy – is this a national trend or just a random non-representative anecdote?

FWIW I’m not convinced about the headline figures at all: if UK economy was ok then we wouldn’t have so many of the employment figures being accounted for by self-employment and we wouldn’t have changed GDP calculations to include drugs and prostitution. Recent data also suggests asking prices for London property are beginning to fall which doesn’t suggest a positive outlook…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s a sign that the se is no longer a desirable place to do business?

ajantom

Ummmm, Gideon and the Con-men lying to us all.
    The top 1% are doing all right thanks to their mates in govt, but the rest of us? Screwed.

matt_outandabout

Ummmm, Gideon and the Con-men lying to us all.
    The top 1% are doing all right thanks to their mates in govt, but the rest of us? Screwed.

+1

brooess
    Free Member

Well I do think letting the cost of living in London rise so high is a massive mistake. Workers are moving out so they can afford somewhere to live and employers are recruiting in the regions as they can’t afford to pay the salaries London employees need, even to rent…
    It’s the beginning of the end of London’s dominance IMO. As a London worker and resident I think that rebalancing is a good thing for UK as a whole

dannyh
    Free Member

It is all a big lie, though, isn’t it?

The planet and its raw materials are a finite resource, yet the only indicator we care about is ‘growth’. This cannot continue for ever, so sooner or later someone is going to have to figure out another way. In the meantime, politics, consumerism and the rest is just delaying having to make that decision.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m astounded it continued as long as it did to be honest. Why locate a business in the most expensive place in the country to operate one? In the modern age, physical location is less and less important.

scaredypants

I don’t think the jobs thing is all about London:

more jobs – yeh, zero hours and/or minimum wage

wages rising in some sectors – yeh, but fewer people working in those jobs (and do the reported rises allow for inflation or not ?)

London housing market has been a joke for ages though

kimbers

been made redundant twice in the last 3 years

science research has often been about short term, <5 year, contracts but funding has been far worse in the last few years compared to the 10 or so before, stability is along way off, especially when a lot of the money is from state funding sources
    austerity sucks
    meanwhile QE makes sure the rich get much much richer

Del

the gdp calc changes were a europe thing.
    saw the conservatives poster earlier that gave a number for new businesses as 760,000, and the number of more people in work as 1.75M. want to bet that the majority of that 760,000 are self employed and therefore also account for a significant number of those ‘now in work’? nothing wrong with going self employed of course.

project
    Free Member

All the news is that the economy is ok, growth expected to continue in 2015, unemployment continuing to fall and wages beginning to rise, but this anecdotal experience is anything but supporting such a positive outlook…

and the ones reporting it are the media, usually controlled by tory voting and suproting editors and owners,along with an election planned for this year, when the current lot will hopefully be booted out.

When you take in the huge number of public sector staff who have either taken early retirement or redundancy,council staff, police, fire service Nhs etc,who had a lump sum that makes them inelligible for benefits so that they are not clased as unemployed and dont show up in statistics.

Then we have all those that have taken up self employment, and those who work on the side and dont claim benefits or pay tax etc, we see a different picture emerging from the failures of the press propoganda.

We could add in all the school kids just left school who are now forced into training or colleges or unis, that used to be classed as unemployed till they went into training or eduction.

Only at the weekendjust gone 2.000 plus hard working staf from CITY LINK lost their jobs and are now claiming redundancy pay from us the tax payer, along with benefits if they decide to claim what is basicly a pittance.

Expect lots more redundancies and company failures in the next few months.

Spud

It’s utter bull that this Gov’t is feeding us. Civil servant here and we’re losing 20% of our budget next year, and who’s to say that they won’t come looking again in 16/17. Jobs are going and T&Cs are being eroded, morale being crushed. I’m expecting it to be even tougher going forwards and if one more senior manager says ‘do more for less’!!!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Made redundant 2 years ago, still looking for a new job 🙁

Science research is a joke, am looking at starting again in something completely different, although no luck so far!

Moses

Next Friday is crunch day, but as I’m nearing retirement I don’t mind. But I’d prefer a couple more months, so I’m not unemployed in the worst months of the year.

kimbers

feel for you the doctor, ive taken a pay cut to get back on it,
    with childcare costs its not really worth me working!

its a shame we are one of the best countries in the world for scientific research but I the current system is on the way down!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m astounded it continued as long as it did to be honest. Why locate a business in the most expensive place in the country to operate one? In the modern age, physical location is less and less important.

Because high achievers want to live and work in London. If you are a high net worth individual you probably have a country residence and/or travel a lot so are not living there all the time. To some people provincial cities lack the allure of a world city same goes for big multinationals they are based in big cities for a reason.
    You may not want to live there but 10million do.

Not directed anyone in this thread, but yet when I plaster requests all over Facebook looking for general ops @ £125/day, sparky’s mates @ £150/day and sparks @ £180-200/day, no-one is interested. I don’t live in an industrial wasteland, but there’s certainly some level of unemployment in my area, judging by the local Wetherspoons… 😕

Northwind

If it’s any use… Best thing that happened to me was getting made redundant- took a break then did a career change, don’t really get paid enough but massively happier.

project
    Free Member

Not directed anyone in this thread, but yet when I plaster requests all over Facebook looking for general ops @ £125/day, sparky’s mates @ £150/day and sparks @ £180-200/day, no-one is interested. I don’t live in an industrial wasteland, but there’s certainly some level of unemployment in my area, judging by the local Wetherspoons…

Millions of us arent on facebook me included.So posting on facebook doesnt help most peeps.

Wetherspoons isnt just full of unemployed people, more like bored retired /redundant people looking for a chat and to get out of the house away from the wife and kids

poolman
    Free Member

London landlord here – I just charge what the agents advise me. The flats have never
    been empty in 10+ years and the rents increase every year. If you are a couple you
    live ok but on yr own its really tough.
    election looming so expect more spin.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Overly cynical last para OP (and as noted above the GDP revision is about EU harmonisation). London’s property prices are v expensive, so what is the big deal about a correction? It is needed. The downside of the main instrument of policy (QE) but not unexpected.

But we are not out of the woods yet that is for sure and very dark clouds looming in our main export markets. Nasty looking first quarter ahead.

Plenty of people in my local town are on FB, either being my friend, or people I don’t know that have liked/are friends with my shop page – I reach a good percentage of the local population with all my posts being public too.

I know there is local unemployment for a fact, regardless of my Wetherspoons comment. That aside, I very much doubt that the same faces that frequent it every day, have a valid reason for not looking for work. Not sure I’d want some of them ‘working’ for me though.

Sandwich

Not directed anyone in this thread, but yet when I plaster requests all over Facebook looking for general ops @ £125/day, sparky’s mates @ £150/day and sparks @ £180-200/day, no-one is interested. I don’t live in an industrial wasteland, but there’s certainly some level of unemployment in my area, judging by the local Wetherspoons…

Are you training anyone to fill these posts? You could pay a lower rate to those you are training prior to them be competent, which is a win/win.

Are you training anyone to fill these posts? You could pay a lower rate to those you are training prior to them be competent, which is a win/win.

Just booked a 17yr old lad on his CSCS test, with a view to starting a week tomorrow.

JTL won’t let him finish his electrical apprenticeship (he needs to do level 3 NVQ) with me though, due to a ‘too limited scope of works’

MrSmith
    Free Member

To the OP What industry? Oil?
    I had my busiest year last year and this month is already filling up with work, some trades/proffessions are doing better than others.

brooess
    Free Member

To the OP What industry? Oil?

One is a Council Health and Safety Officer, one is Scientific Research/Genetic testing, third one I don’t know…

Just wondering if there’s a wider trend of people being made redundant outside of what we already know about the wider economic news…

MrSmith
    Free Member

I do know somebody in medical research who is likely to not have his funding/job next year but that’s a sample of one so not a good indicator.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Public sector employment is at the lowest level since 1999, so not unusual news

TheDoctor
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

feel for you the doctor, ive taken a pay cut to get back on it,
    with childcare costs its not really worth me working!

its a shame we are one of the best countries in the world for scientific research but I the current system is on the way down!

Yep totally agree, I was at a UK centre of excellence but cannot get anything else in that field. Looking at other things with these so called “transferable” skills has been a complete joke as well, it seems they are not that transferable after all, as all you get is the no exp line, even for junior, begginer posts 😥

samuri
    Free Member

My heart goes out to all of you facing redundancy, it really does. Been there, done that. It turns your world upside down. I was suicidal. Came very close to pulling the plug. Went from booking holidays to Colorado on a whim to eating Netto branded beans for dinner and tea. That’s what we lived on for a few weeks at one point.

Good friends kept me going, found me temporary work. Without them I doubt I’d have survived.

It will get better. Keep holding on and it will come.

white101

After a number of years with the same company I was recently told my job no longer exists, no offer of redundancy just a way of saying your going to have to leave of your own accord. After a pretty crap Christmas worrying I go back to work tomorrow and await my fait. I have never been as down, trying not to let it show in front of the daughter who is in her final year at school and has lots of pressure on her with exams etc. Its sad to read the above and realise just how many on stw alone have been through or are facing similar issues.
    Keep on riding people

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good luck – very shitty business

AndyRT
    Free Member

It’s been 3 &1/2 years since I got a job after being made redundant 9 months previous.

I got a duff job and hunted hard for what I really wanted. It took another 12 months

I literally get cold sweats thinking about it happening again, and every November I have to stop myself from freaking out.

But, there is hope. It’s not you! Never blame yourself.

Loyalty is for those that can afford it. My life lesson is ALWAYS look after your own needs, as that is what your employer is ALWAYS thinking.

chewkw
    Free Member

I was having two pt jobs, to make up for one full job all these years, until last Sept 2014 where I was made redundant from one of them. My other job is also not that secure. Now my income only cover my all expenses (bills) with £20 left for food per week. My saving is not a lot but I hope I don’t have to use them as they can only last me so long. To avoid another redundancy I am now in the process of creating my own employment – start a micro business.

In my situation it was incompetent management that demanded more from milking the cash cow. The only idea this bunch of low life zombie maggots has is by making low ranking staff redundant in order to show improved financial performance. Bear in mind, they are not making losses but rather they demand more returns. One of the director even used the words “ring fencing the management positions” (managers and management) … I mean when these words were used I should have pulled out the Benelli M4 to blow their skulls to pieces instantly but instead I was infected by the zombie virus that affected me to accept the consequences.

Anyone of you thinking that you are working for a good company, think again. You are either infected by the zombie maggot viruses or you have Stockholm syndrome. Either way you are evolving into a zombie maggot.

🙄

jota180
    Free Member

Best wishes to all those facing redundancy, it can seem life destroying.

After 20 years loyal (yeah, I know) service, I was kicked out in the Summer.
    I use the phrase ‘kicked out’ rather that redundant as that what it felt like, not one face to face meeting in the whole process, just emails and phone calls and a box delivered to my house with a return label on it to return their kit.

Anyway, after a few weeks of panic and depression a mate offered me a job -albeit on half my previous salary – which I took and now think I’ll try to hang on to 🙂

Good luck to all those looking for work and don’t immediately rule out a lower salary if the job looks good, it’s surprising how much money I wasted in the past or simply spent without thinking, I don’t feel any worse off now and have a much less stressful job.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

I believe some sectors are functioning better than others. We’re connected to the building game and things have been bumpy at best, but had some good enquiries and visibility of a few large projects taking us into 2017. Its tough, very tough, but there’s work out there and some of it is quite lucrative. Fingers crossed it keeps gaining momentum!

……my personal opinion is that we’ve been on a steady decline since losing the empire!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Sat watching Top Gear on Dave due to redundancy.

Tbh I’m quite happy about it (redundancy, not necessarily watching Top Gear repeats).

There is plenty of work out there in my area thankfully so I’m not planning on being out for long, and my previous employers were generous with the settlement.

I’m trying to find the bright side. If I can find another job soon I can retire a little earlier if I invest my payment well.

Or, more likely, I’ll look for a more meaningful job that might not carry the same salary as I had and use the payment to clear the mortgage.

I think it always looks worse than it is in reality. There are lots of people getting made redundant at the moment, and I know people will react differently to the process. But see it as an opportunity.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else facing redundancy?’ is closed to new replies.