Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Anyone else enjoy a roll up at the end of a ride ?
  • tobyho
    Free Member

I do. I shouldn't but I do.

I dont ever fancy a fag when on the road bike. I also run 2 or 3 times a week and wouldnt dream of smoking anytime before or after a run. But on the mtb at the end of a ride, when the bikes back on the car, I love a roll up.

My riding buddies don't understand it.

small print – i dont condone smoking. I know it's bad. I smoke when I have a pint and at the end of a mtb ride and that's it. dont smoke at home or during the day ever and can easily go for weeks without a fag. i know i should stop. and i will one day.

lowey

I used to spend most of the ride smoking. Grabbed a ciggy at every stop.

Packed in now though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Packed in now though.

YAY! Good lad!

I'd like a roll with Shakira please…
    … or was it Beyoncé ??

IamSam
    Free Member

Yeap!!

not every ride but sometimes its just nice, don't know what it is but really like sitting in the van and smoking a rollie, its the only time I have a cig now as well. Plus I've a few mates who are the same when we are camping

Talkemada
    Free Member

I enjoy a ciggie after my swim. Did a mile in under 30 mins last night, not too shabby. I wonder if I could go a bit faster if I didn't smoke, but I'm not a heavy smoker, and am not that bothered really. I'm quicker up hills than a lot of folk, and am reasonably fit. I just like a cig now and then.

Filthy
    Free Member

Anyone else enjoy a roll up at the end of a ride ?

Yes and at the top of every climb usually… never at the bottom though, that would be unhealthy 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I just like a cig now and then.

I can (coff) give it up any time I (hack) like.
    That it's the most addictive narcotic doesn't worry me at all.
    Got a light gov ?

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Love a roll up with two pints at the end of the weekly group ride, although I'm the only one out of around twenty riders! 😳

alpin
    Free Member

i like to have a smoke-smoke usually half-way round a ride or every 30km, which ever comes first and usually at the end of a ride, too…..

Talkemada
    Free Member

I can (coff) give it up any time I (hack) like.
    That it's the most addictive narcotic doesn't worry me at all.
    Got a light gov ?

I swim 3 times a week, usually a mile or so each time. I cycle about 50-60 miles a week most weeks; no loads, but enough to keep me reasonably fit, and I can do the odd 30-40 miler or whatever when I want. I eat healthily, have a healthy BMI, am a good weight for my size, and my bowel movements are regular. The last time I was ill was about a year ago (swine flu!). I have all my own teeth, no fillings at all, last went to a dentist about 25 years ago, and have never had a toothache.

Let me enjoy me cig in peace, eh?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

enjoy your denial kiddo :o)

I actually love smoking too. I just don't do it.

Hohum
    Free Member

I gave up smoking 8 weeks ago today and I am feeling much better for it.

In the last couple of years I have hated smoking, which actually made it easier to give up.

adamdv8
    Free Member

I can quit smoking any time I like. Ive done it hundreds of times.

Actually I have now, used to be one of the aforemention occasional smokers (which has the added benefit of annoying both smokers and non-smokers) and it was great…but havent touched one or wanted one for over a year now. Would still have one if I wanted though, loved each and every one of them!

tron
    Free Member

I knew an ex squaddie, he used to go out on group rides when he was stationed in Germany with his mates. They all had 2 packs of B&H gaffer taped to the handlebars!

Del

i know i should stop. and i will one day.

then why not today? just make the choice, and stick to it.

well, if you hadn't said anything, we would have. 🙂

tobyho
    Free Member

What about spliffs ? I have been known to smoke marijuana in my life but not for a couple of years now.

In fact I can imagine being stoned and riding my bike to be pretty hellish.

Anyone ?

jam-bo

turn up to any DH venue and its likely you'll get a whiff.

4130soul
    Free Member

i do like a roll-up with a pint at the end of a ride.

i also like smoking while riding, i exhale down a length of tube attached to my bike which ends by the rear wheel, makes me feel like im on a motorbike, n yep i do have a playing card poking into the spokes for the authentic engine noise too
    brrrrrrrrap….

n tobyho, theyre good for relaxing post ride, but i never found it help with my bottle on the big stuff if partaking mid-ride

yoshimi

Packed in now though.

Me too; I'm still waiting for the amazing health benefits though!

user-removed
    Free Member

Trying to give up my Drum baccy habit right now – almost a week in.

Re smoking t'other whilst out riding, my mates and I spent pretty much every ride stoned off our t1ts when we were in our teens / 20s. Mind you, we were also pretty much permanently baked off the bikes too, so no change there really…. I do remember having to make a pipe out of a hollow stick and a foil kit-kat wrapper once when it transpired no-one had brought any rizlas on a three dayer out the top of Braemar.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don't smoke; mostly because of the license it gives me to be a self righteous prick!

Hohum
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member

Packed in now though.

Me too; I'm still waiting for the amazing health benefits though!

How long have you been off them for?

My smoker's cough went after 3 or 4 weeks.

You do tend to feel worse before you get better.

allthepies
    Free Member

thomthumb – you carry it off very well.

yoshimi

I think it was around the beginning of February – I've never had a cough but after stopping it did seem as though my lung capacity had decreased and I felt worse, I'd say I'm back to normal now – I was being a bit flippant on my earlier remark as I wasn't that fit beforehand:)

dans160
    Free Member

I used to as well. Stopped a few years bike though.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I too enjoy a roll up.cutters choice. I normally have one at the top of a big climb waiting for others to catch up.the day they ride up Jacobs the speed I do ill quit.

13thfloormonk

When I'm on camping trips I'll always carry some tobacco.

Helps to remind me I'm not racing anyone, plus goes spectacularly well with some misty scenery and a ruined cottage to shelter behind…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

went out for a ride with a bunch of randoms in NZ, was surprised to find that at the top of each and every climb they pulled out a wee pipe and had a smoke of weed…

comparatively speaking, my riding got better throughout the day 8)

guitarhero
    Free Member

Our weed smoking outings used to feature some occasional riding 😉

Don't touch the stuff now. Riding my bike is still fun, but not quite as much as it when i was baked.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just don't see the point of paying (quite a lot really) for something that is likely to kill you very painfully. Why not just go to the Supermarket and buy some drain cleaner and drink that – its cheaper and kills you more quickly?

Scenario: You earn money working and that takes up most of your day, So in your spare time you give the tax man some of it back and the supermarket /shop some/tabacco company some and you have a high chance you wont be able to spend what you have left over in retirement?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I've turned my bike into a traveling bong, its the future I tell yas

joemarshall
    Free Member

I enjoy a ciggie after my swim. Did a mile in under 30 mins last night

Pah, I swum 3 miles in under 50 minutes a couple of weeks back*.

Joe

* Okay, it was downstream in a very fast white water river, maybe that is cheating.

soobalias
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    i don't smoke; mostly because of the license it gives me to be a self righteous prick!

hehehe

yunki
    Free Member

I've smoked like a trooper for at least 20 years and a good few more before that but with slightly less vigour.. (I started when I was 8)..

I honestly never thought I would be able to quit or even cut down… but following the birth of my first child in September last year I drastically reduced how much I smoked.. (smoking outside is NOT relaxing) and then in January I stopped completely..

I can count on my fingers the number of times that I've actually wanted a cigarette since..
    I don't feel any different other than that I'm quite smug..

epicyclo

When I was a lad, I'd frequently get passed in the mountains by wiry old guys on fixed wheels who had pipes clamped in their teeth.

Don't know where they all got to, probably emphysema or cancer cut them short.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You are far too logical to be a smoker foxyrider

foxyrider
    Free Member

You are far too logical to be a smoker foxyrider

🙂 Don't get me wrong I have had a few when I was a nipper but I guess never got hooked – I know its because your hooked – damn nicotine and Worse ingredients but would mean more money to spend on bikes if people gave up 😉

pitduck
    Free Member

i don't smoke; mostly because of the license it gives me to be a self righteous prick! 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else enjoy a roll up at the end of a ride ?’ is closed to new replies.