Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone else dislike having altercations with complete stangers?
  • convert

I had one this evening – was in the right but leaves me a bit…jumpy.

Having a meal in our local but the table next to us got completely out of hand. A group of those upper middle class types that wear a blazer and “fun” shirt on a day off and talk at a volume where everyone within 100yds knows every intimate detail of their lives and they just don’t care. Add a load of booze and the volume was so loud there was no way we could talk without shouting (in a quiet country pub). Turns out they don’t like it up ’em and a polite “turn it down a bit please” is considered a declaration of war. Apparently they have never been spoken to like that before and I’m an utterly ghastly man. Luckily the landlord and staff know me and they were shown the door (although fisticuffs could have been amusing and strangely satisfying). A pub full of grateful punters and a very apologetic staff largely puts your mind at rest you were not wrong but you still feel an arse for becoming the talking point of the night.

Normal middle class & the proper, proper posh – mostly polite and considerate. But that group in between – what a bunch of cocks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah new money…..

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

you half way uppers causing trouble again?

singlespeedstu

Was it CFH and his chumms on a jolly?

Waves to CFH. 😀

grantway
    Free Member

seen many and worked with unfortunately
    Have done the same more than once.
    You get my vote 😉

hora
    Free Member

Binners folks are landed/titled so careful OP. Lord and Lady Warrington.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Better than doing with people you know (or live with 😕 ).

binners

Actually… As authentic northern working class scum I tend to stick with what’s been passed down through many generations….

Always get the first punch in! 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t believe he’s that posh

onehundredthidiot

Impossible to be from Hawick and posh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I never argue with strangers.

BillMC

Convert you did exactly the right thing. I live near a public school which dominates a small town and I constantly witness such displays, they occupy all the physical space and the sound stage, trying to outdo each other and have a snearing manner and bearing to anyone who’s not one of them. However, the locals used to call them ‘blodgers’ and there was a fair amount of physical ‘jolly japes’ and that helped teach them a well deserved lesson, for a while. Such arrogance and disdain I see amongst Johnson, Gove, Osborne etc and they too need taking down a peg too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Confused, where does (1990 legend! – I wiz there!) Tony Stanger fit in? ❓

Onzadog
    Free Member

Convert, you’ve it my backing. It’s often me that will make hose stands. And yes, it does leaving you feeling jittery/jumpy as your body just pumps full of adrenalin ready for a fight that doesn’t happen. if not used, it takes a while to work its way out of your system.

globalti
    Free Member

Congratulations for standing your corner, people like that need to be told their behaviour is upsetting other diners.

My boss is a loud boorish oik who gets drunk a lot and has been known to be asked to quieten down in restaurants.

paulevans
    Free Member

I flashed my headlights to a car yesterday to signify I was letting him in to a gap in the traffic. Scum that he was obviously took it to be aggression on my behalf and jumped out of his car, blocking all the traffic, came over to my car (with me and my two kids in by the way) and tries to open my door for a “chat”. Should have seen his face when a 7 yr old and 4 yr old started pointing and laughing at the “silly man”. I thought he was going to explode he went that red!

slowmart
    Free Member

“Politely asked them”

Politician in London orders his generals to ensure that the army is polite to civilians. Squaddie from Wolverhampton may have a different standard for “polite”.

Better to have spoken with the plebs rather than spoil the whole evening. Hopefully they got the message and won’t darken the door again.

slowmart
    Free Member

Sorry double post

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Slight tangent. Does anyone else remember when it was the norm to talk quietly in restaurants?
    Even in the Bernie Inns there seemed to be only quietly spoken diners.

Hate loud restaurants, ruins the experience.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sure you were not in tesco westhill – its full of that new credit im better than you get out my way types

patriotpro
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I never argue with strangers, well appart from stw ones anyway.

😛

Sounds a bit classist to me OP. 😉

psling
    Free Member

Rowdyness can happen when any group of men get together and get the piss in them; have you never camped at a MTB event? 😯 If perceived class becomes an issue then that’s really a problem that the beholder needs to address themself.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Squaddie from Wolverhampton may have a different standard for “polite

What?

bencooper
    Free Member

If perceived class becomes an issue then that’s really a problem that the beholder needs to address themself.

Well, there is a certain type of boorish behaviour that is all about the perceived class of the perpetrator.

dannyh
    Free Member

To the OP.

I really wouldn’t worry about it too much.

They will wake up this morning and rant about the ‘boring tosser’ who ‘spoiled’ their evening and do it all again next week. They will do this because they are idiots.

You will wake up this morning and feel a bit ‘jumpy’ and wonder whether you did the right thing because you are probably a reasonable person.

You are in the right, they are not. Whether or not they realise it is not your concern. End result = evening salvaged for most of the customers of the pub. Well done to you.

convert

Rowdyness can happen when any group of men get together and get the piss in them; have you never camped at a MTB event? If perceived class becomes an issue then that’s really a problem that the beholder needs to address themself.

This was not a group of men – three blokes and three ladies. Don’t get me wrong – it’s Christmas and I’m all up for people having a good time, just not at the penalty of everyone else having a poor time.

Also the class thing – as I work in one of the most expensive schools in Britain I am more than happy in the company of the well heeled and couldn’t have a sizeable chip on my shoulder and do the day job. Thankfully we don’t get too many boorish banker types amongst our clientèle and they are pretty much the most polite and respectful folk I have come across.

Having slept on it, I am pretty happy with how it all turned out. Will be interesting wandering in later today!

DezB
    Free Member

Confused, where does (1990 legend! – I wiz there!) Tony Stanger fit in?

Read the thread title perchance 🙄 sometimes I think I’m just too clever for this place you know.

convert

I got it 😉

Must learn to type more accurately or get some glasses for tiny screens!

jamesco

Paris
    inthe
    the spring

funkrodent

Re the class thing. A few thoughts. Billy Connolly once said (I paraphrase) – “The working classes and the upper classes are fine, it’s the ones in the middle who cause all the problems!”
    When I was a nipper my father got a job abroad. As the part of the world in question (West Africa) didn’t have an education system to speak of I got packed off to boarding school. So did state to public school and then back to state school when he returned. Both systems have their fair share of scumbags. Just in different ways.
    With regard to the OP, I’d rather the outcome he had than if he had asked the same question of various tables of “characters” in some of the boozers I used to drink in. For sure he would have got the fight that he was half expecting.
    It’s all relative though isn’t it. Upper-middle class “Hooray Henrys” braying around are an annoyance, but they rarely end up putting people into hospital when challenged, like many members of our upstanding “salt of the earth” working classes possibly would..
    Not that I’m criticising mind, just that it’s dangerous to start making generalisations.
    FWIW – I like to think I would have done the same thing as the OP, though not convinced I would have had the guts. Easier to be a keyboard warrior :mrgreen:

nealglover
    Free Member

…I flashed my headlights to a car yesterday to signify I was letting him in to a gap in the traffic. Scum that he was obviously took it to be aggression on my behalf and jumped out of his car

I wouldnt worry too much, He was probably just coming over to explain Rules 110/111 of the Highway Code to you 😉

project
    Free Member

Having a meal in our local but the table next to us got completely out of hand. A group of those upper middle class types that wear a blazer and “fun” shirt on a day off and talk at a volume where everyone within 100yds knows every intimate detail of their lives and they just don’t care. Add a load of booze and the volume was so loud there was no way we could talk without shouting (in a quiet country pub).

The moderators letting their hair down again ,its only once a year .

Ps , i may be gone till the new year…….

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Working class here and I’m polite and well mannered. However I wouldn’t hesitate to give someone a good smack if they wind me up.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Confused, where does (1990 legend! – I wiz there!) Tony Stanger fit in?

Read the thread title perchance sometimes I think I’m just too clever for this place you know.

I reckon I could have read the title 1000 times and my brain would still self-correct it every time! Doh!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Working class here and I’m polite and well mannered. However I wouldn’t hesitate to give someone a good smack if they wind me up.

Move over John Lennon, you are my working class hero now.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Sounds as if you came upon a selfish ****, not that rare around these parts, best not let them get the upperhand is my best advice.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else dislike having altercations with complete stangers?’ is closed to new replies.