Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone else considering doing a Reggie Perrin?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Well, time has finally caught up with me. It’s the big return to work tomorrow and I am dreading it. All the shit will just start again – no change. The sheer predictability of it and the ensuing chaos and long hours is like the dull pain after a kick in the balls.

The night before last I had a dream about running away from my parental home, but I was traced and brought back.

Last night I had a dream about turning up to school and being told I’d already missed one A-level exam and another one was just about to start – but I’d done no work and no revision.

Not a lot of psychoanalysis needed on those two I think. Anyone else dreading dragging themselves back tomorrow?

zippykona

I actually had the reverse dream. Dreamt I was at home when in fact I was in Australia. It was a real proper wake up scared dream.
    I phoned up the next day and resigned.
    The best thing I ever did.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Look on the positive side,at least you’re in a job where you get a break..

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a new job..

Houns

Aww my heart bleeds for the poor folk going back to work tomorrow. Diddums

*looks forward to 2 days off*

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not a Reggie Perrin but I’d be up for a Falling Down

badnewz
    Free Member

Last night I had a dream about turning up to school and being told I’d already missed one A-level exam and another one was just about to start – but I’d done no work and no revision.

I have the same dream on a regular basis, except I’m also a grown adult in the dream (my school clothes hardly fit me).
    Maybe you need to look for a new job.

MSP

I wonder if it is even possible to do a Reggie Perrin, in this database age. To just say **** it life isn’t working out, I am going to start again in a new town and leave my old life behind. Technology, the housing market and the employment market in their current states probably trap us into set lives more now than they did for my parents generation.

shermer75
    Free Member

I wonder if it is even possible to do a Reggie Perrin, in this database age. To just say **** it life isn’t working out, I am going to start again in a new town and leave my old life behind. Technology, the housing market and the employment market in their current states probably trap us into set lives more now than they did for my parents generation.

Gives you something to think about though….

dannyh
    Free Member

I know I need to look for a new job, but I’ve been at the same place for over seven years. It’s ten minutes from home. These are the only redeeming qualities – i.e. not having to think where I am going in the morning and proximity to home. But my sheer apathy about work that this place has engendered in me makes me loath to even try.

First world problems, I know. Reality check – come on dannyboy, suck it up or get your arse in gear and get a new job.

ourmaninthenorth

When I was a private practice lawyer this was a regular thought (not helped by going through a phase of watching the episodes on a Sunday night).

These days I’m holding out for the share schemes to mature and pay off a chunk of the mortgage. And if that doesn’t work out then I’ll become a gun for (ie contracting).

@ OP – start looking for another job and promise you won’t let yourself fall into this position again. Chin up and good luck.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Get a new job !

If you get one that involves shift work , you will not have that “Big return to work Monday ” feeling as you will have the joys of working across weekends, Nights, Bank holidays and Easter, Christmas etc 😯

footflaps

I still get that dream about by Finals (which were over 25 years ago), I’ve got a exam and I’ve not even read any of the lecture notes for one of the subjects…

Northwind

dannyh – Member

I work for the university I did my degree at so I get these all the time 😆 And a vague feeling of unease all the way through exam season. And another one where I’ve lost my timetable and can’t work out where to go, and I keep on going to classes I’m not supposed to.

(though to be fair, I did sit the wrong exam one time while actually studying there so maybe they’re not so much dreams as documentaries)

pictonroad

I still get that dream about by Finals (which were over 25 years ago), I’ve got a exam and I’ve not even read any of the lecture notes for one of the subjects…

This happened to me. I lost my way in the world for a bit and that time coincided with me choosing my degree modules.
    Was quite the shock when my exam timetable turned up.

binners

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2mLAajm7ZY[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha the mother in law

MoreCashThanDash

Had a bit of an issue earlier in the year – there are a couple of threads that talk about it – when I was torn between doing a Reggie Perrin and a Falling Down. Luckily the local mental health services are pretty good at this sort of thing.

As some of you are aware, the saga has continued resulting in me going part time. Possibly from the week after next. I haven’t actually heard for definite. Last time I was in the office before Christmas I had resigned as they wouldn’t agree to my proposed part time hours, but they then backtracked so I’ll have to go back in later this week.

There haven’t been many part time jobs advertised over the festive period, I can tell you.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m glad the finals dream is not just me (18 years ago)- I’ve been known to get up and go and look at my degree certificate and my admission certificate (solicitor)just to make sure!

footflaps

I have another recurring dream which is where I own another house, but can’t remember where it is…..

konabunny
    Free Member

+1 on the “but your exam starts in five minutes!!!” recurring dream

Murray

I still dream that the university suddenly twigs that I never did pass French o level and so couldn’t matriculate.

Which makes no sense as I don’t use my degree.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

Last night I dreamt of being flown in French Mirage (think it’s French) by two female pilots as I was seated in the rear seat … weird Mirage coz Mirage 2000C, 2000B and 2000D are all twin-seater but the one I was flown in had a third seat in the rear.

Both pilots in front were parallel seated in front not like one back one front … hmmm …

Well, it’s Delta wing fighter jet anyway …

😀

slowoldman

What Reggie did wrong was coming back and starting Grot.

dannyh
    Free Member

OP,

Last night I dreamt of being flown in French Mirage (think it’s French) by two female pilots as I was seated in the rear seat … weird Mirage coz Mirage 2000C, 2000B and 2000D are all twin-seater but the one I was flown in had a third seat in the rear.

Both pilots in front were parallel seated in front not like one back one front … hmmm …

Well, it’s Delta wing fighter jet anyway …

Ah, one of those dreams. I haven’t had one of those for a couple of decades either(!)

Nah, got to bite the bullet and get out there pimping my self around the local area in the hope of jumping out of the frying pan…… But you never know until you try, I guess.

The situation is not helped by my complete lack of riding for the last 15 days (and counting) due to having my bike nicked (and house burgled) on 21st December. Still, new bike on Saturday – some serious concrete + ground anchor action in the shed as well. Time to kick myself up the arse and stop navel gazing.

I wonder what tonight’s dream will be…………

Oh and the running around school not knowing where to go dream is a recurring one for me as well. It is always Tuesday afternoon for some reason. I’ve lost my timetable, gone out of class, but everyone has disappeared. I don’t know what lesson it is or where it is. I never find it, despite bumbling into upteen other lessons and getting yelled at by a succession of the scariest teachers I ever had.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I still get that dream about by Finals (which were over 25 years ago), I’ve got a exam and I’ve not even read any of the lecture notes for one of the subjects

There are some of us for whom these are memories rather than dreams.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didn’t get where I am today by having green frogs thrust down my crotch.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation, returning to work tomorrow to do an undo-able job. I haven’t been given the systems or resources to do the job. Or rather, I’ve been given systems that don’t work and a thousand rules and regulations that must be adhered too that stop me being an engineer. I reckon the right staffing level for my department is two civil engineers and two works supervisors. Currently there is one civil engineer (me) and half a works supervisor.

So I’m sitting here updating my CV. My main problem is I live in the highlands. I may have to leave engineering to find another local job, but this is now a step I am willing to take.

Doing a Reggie is taking it a bit far though. I am close to resigning though.

mrsfry
    Free Member

+ 1 for Falling Down

miketually
    Free Member

I made the mistake of telling my wife my escape route (train to Stranraer, ferry to Belfast, hitch down through Ireland, ferry to Spain, hitch to south coast, small boat to Morocco) so I’m stuck.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Twenty-two minutes late to the thread, badger ate a junction box at New Malden.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Feel like the op most days! Only changed jobs 3 months ago to hopefully refresh myself but new place is no better. Working for a company sticks balls!

chewkw
    Free Member

dannyh – Member
    Ah, one of those dreams. I haven’t had one of those for a couple of decades either(!)

Well, it was such an experience to be flown by two female fight pilots up in the sky looking to the land it was beautiful. 😀

Hope this is a sign that I will strike the jackpot to retire forever. :mrgreen:

vickypea
    Free Member

I have a recurring dream that I’m in a maths lesson and haven’t a clue how to do the maths, plus another one where I’m trying to make a phone call but keep dialling the wrong number or the phone doesn’t work.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @ MuppetWrangler.

mefty
    Free Member

Great

kimbers

My best mate (with no kids and a ton of cash) just packed up to move to Sri Lanka with his yoga instructor wife to live as a beach bum while she leads sessions at the plush resort (actually based in Harley street) anyway he keeps posting pictures of amazing sunsets, turtles, yoga on the beach etc

It is making me a bit jealous, im sure hed sort me a job cleaning chalets or something, tho it’d mean leaving my recently redundant wife with the 2 kids, mortgage and twins on the way……..

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

tho it’d mean leaving my recently redundant wife with the 2 kids, mortgage and twins on the way……..

Best go now, it’ll be harder once the twins arrive 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Super

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I could be heading for a ‘falling down’ episode. I feel like the OP every morning & not just after a break.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else considering doing a Reggie Perrin?’ is closed to new replies.