Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • anyone else cant be bothered anymore
  • firestarter
    Free Member

well finally got my bikes how i wanted them a few months back but due to various commitments i didnt ride for a few months then six weeks ago had a nice ride and not been out since. I just seem to have lost interest. Maybe its the new baby i dont know but its gone. I feel like selling up and getting a gsxr 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think the consensus is MTB is not consistent with early parenthood…

Stoner
    Free Member

it comes and goes.

Dont beat yourself up over it, it’s a hobby and pastime. It’s supposed to be fun. The desire to ride will come back again and you’ll enjoy it.

ton

get out with me, gooneR, land and chb tonight.
    pointers at woodlesford 6.30.
    we will change your mind.
    oh……….and……………MTFU 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Nah – loving it at the moment, sorry! 😛

Get a new bike? 😀

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m completely the opposite at the moment. Can’t get out enough.

Pick up my new bike on Thursday night, so i’ll be ithcing to get out even more.

As others have said, it’ll come back to you. I rode once this year between January and March, then it just came back and been riding 2-3 times a week since.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I think the consensus is MTB is not consistent with early parenthood…

Agreed. Having had two sprogs in the past three years, I can vouch that biking can definitely take a big hit. I actually took an 18 month break soon after the first one. Being a bit more stubborn this time (3 months old) as I don’t like how unfit I got last time!

Eggbox
    Free Member

new parent here too…..I haven’t had the time to ride for weeks. I’m just running now for exercise and will get back on the bike later this year. But can’t say I’m that bothered. Life has changed.

Stoner
    Free Member

and I’ll have to disagree.

Stoner Jr is 2.5 now and with a bit of planning I get to ride every bit as much as I used to. Mrs S and I take it in turns to go out in the evenings or on weekend days – (she runs, swims and road rides). I dont see where having Jr around or not makes much difference to us.

firestarter
    Free Member

cant tonight tony and ive prob lost any bike fitness to keep up lol. As for kids i guess two year old and five month old dont help matters lol 🙂 maybe it will return.

mrsflash
    Free Member

If you fancy a ride with someone else who’s going through an unsure about riding time Mick, just drop me a line 🙂

ton

i rode more when my kids were small.
    trailer when they were babies, then hamax recliner childseat and finaly trek trailerbike. oh, and a tamdem mtb too.
    both of the kids loved going out in the traier, but usually fell asleep within 10 minutes if setting off.

grumm
    Free Member

Def don’t beat yourself up about it, you’ll get back into it at some point, or not.

firestarter
    Free Member

will do clare cheers 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

What Stoner said, I got a 1 year old and an 8 week old & I ride nearly as much as before, just staying local so get to ride rather than drive and go out at funny times at a moments notice. Wife has mentioned something about divorce / bikes / responsibility but I cocked a deaf ear.

Speshpaul

Get a grip man!
    Make the most of it while you can, i broke my tib and fib below the left knee on the 15th of Feb and i’m still in a brace and on crutches.
    I’d fugging love to be out on the bike, even right now in the pouring rain.

( you weren’t looking for tea and sympathy were you;-)

Sugar2
    Free Member

Buy my ZX10R £4600 mint 2005 model in the classifieds!!! 😀

wiiija
    Free Member

I’m the same, haven’t rode in ages and I’m off to cyb in 2 weeks, I’m so unfit at the moment that I’m not sure I’m looking forward to it!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

things I can’t be bothered doing any more:
    1) ironing
    2) eating things I don’t like because they’re ‘good for me’
    3) wearing trousers
    4) being polite

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I know how you feel, been guiding 5-6 days a week all spring, just been ill and still physically low, can’t be bothered riding..

firestarter
    Free Member

feel for you paul i had a back operation a few years back and was confined to bed for months only thing kept me goin was the new anthem on order lol and no didnt want sympathy just wondered if it was common to flit in and out of interest and if i need to try bring it back or wait. Its odd how it came about around the same time as i finally got my bikes as i wanted them maybe i like tinkering more than riding lol. As for the green flying machine i better not thanks 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

On the contrary, I have a 1 month old baby girl. I commute to work (10 miles each way) and have without fail taken an offroad diversion everyday in both directions! I can’t get enough of it me. Admittedly I’ve only managed 3-4 hours at the weekend, but that’s ok cos I’m knackered from the weeks ‘commuting’. 😀

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Well despite having a 4 year old a 3 month old, broken wrist, ribs, 4 operations, one child in hospital for 3 months I have finally got my mojo back! biking took a serious back seat for a long time, priorites change and time gets limited, part of it is having the energy to ride… kids take major effort… it will come back!!

Speshpaul

All things being equal i’m off to Mayhem on saturday, why don’t you go?
    Becuase if you spend a day there and don’t want to ride you bike then you have no soul:-)
    You could take your bike and go round the demo track or just sign up for a couple of demo rides on stuff you can’t afford.
    Talking of Soul’s i’ve got a shiny new black one in a box right next to me now, if fact my crutches are leaning against the box:-)

vernon-sez
    Free Member

Ughh, 5 weeks since the new arrival & can’t remember the last time i was on the bike. Enjoying every min with the little one and Mrs V appreciates me being around at the w/e / evenings.

I do only see this as temporary tho so not going to get too depressed, even if it means riding at silly times. Dont have the pleasure of a nice commute to have to make do with lots of running (seems to be a common theme!) in the meantime…

Embrace the change 😀

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve been through it.

Right now, I’m spending all my time riding my road bike. OK, so not doing stacks, but I’m getting in 200 miles a week. My legs ache all the time, and I can barely stay awake at work. It’s great..!

That said, I’ve resolved that, after July (when I’ve ridden the Étape), I’m going to get my MTB out again.

Perhaps what you need is a change. Leave the bikes where they are and do something else for a bit. Sure, a new baby is bound to be time consuming (I don’t know – no kids), so take the pressure off yourself by not fretting about riding.

And, besides, you don’t actually *need* to ride a bike when you’ve got STW….

Kramer
    Free Member

Went through this a couple of months ago. A combination of factors meant that I’d not been out on the bike for almost a year – change of job, and regular riding buddy being out of action with a ‘hurty knee’.

Six weeks ago, a friend who I know through skiing came up with his new Blur LT to sample some Peak District riding, and I agreed to take him out. We went up the Cut Gate, he loved it, I had a nightmare – sore arse, boinked after about an hour, and my front mech came loose half way back down to Ladybower. However the few bits of downhill on the other side were enough to remind me what I’d been missing, and I’m now out on the bike 4-5 times a week, have bought myself a new bike, and am going to Morzine in a couple of weeks, and am enjoying it more than ever. I’m sat here with achey legs from being at Ladybower on Sunday, Jacob’s ladder yestereday.

I’d say go somewhere new, meet up with some new riding buddies, do something that you’ve not done before. Go on a skills course, or if you normally ride trail centres, go and do an ‘off piste’ ride, or vice versa, and you’ll probably find your mojo again.

VanHalen

buy the gsxr and enjoy that.

dont piss about with doing something you are not enjoying.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Must be nice to not ride for a few weeks when you’re not injured.

Spare a thought for us poor addicted souls who can’t go more than a couple of days without needing a fix. 😉

I’m off out with the roadies now for the wednesday afternoon bash.

SB 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

New parent here too – but my desire to ride my bike has only increased in the last 11 months since I became a Dad.

Possibly since I work from home and see wife and daughter all day, so get my fill of dad time and also need to get out the house to stop going mad. Business is doing well, so I get frustrated that I can’t ride more tbh.

Crell
    Free Member

When you’re injured it’s not fun. At the moment I’m in an “in-love” phase with biking again and having to sit out is an absolutely soul-destroying nightmare. I’ve had to pull out of Mayhem because of it.

I agree with the “try something differnt suggestion”. Like Kramer I was dragged round CYB by some much fitter mates, having been off the bike for ages and generally very unfit. Yes part of it was my own personal nightmare and reminded me about the pain involved cycling, but the highs of that ride far overshadowed that temporary pain. Riding centres is pretty new to me but I’ve really enjoyed the ones I’ve been to. For me it’s not about covering the most miles anymore it’s about going out and having a laugh.

It just inspired me to go out and get fit and I was loving biking again ’till I broke my ankle…funnily enough on a wet duckboard at a centre. Maybe centres and trying something different isn’t such a good thing 🙂

Oh, buy yourself a new bike as well – it helps.

timber

Wait for the decision not to ride, to not be yours and then see what you want to do. Lot of stuff goes in phases, doesn’t mean you have to abandon ship because it’s not the centre of existence.

and on a hijack,
    Speshpaul – have they bolted your frame in so that it catches the crank? They did with mine and a mates, so was guessing it must be a policy thing for cyclists. Good news is, with a good physio, there’ll be no muscle wastage like in a pot. My frame was in for 5-6 months and I went racing 2 weeks after it was out. Couldn’t run round corners for a while though.

CHB

Mick, though Gooner, Ton and Ian are fairly nippy, you will find that I bring down the average speed by a notch or two!

Ton: Just had text from Gooner. Not playing out tonight. Hopefully trails in south Leeds will dry out a bit by 1830. Just stopped raining in sunny Harrogateshire.

I think we all get phases where we can’t be bothered with a hobby or sport.
    With cycling, I find a few bimble rides by myself over a few weeks gets me back into it. Also when motivation is lacking, I remind myself that I have never finished a ride and regreted setting off, though I do sometimes get that “why bother” feeling 20 mins into a ride, but that passes after another 20 mins.

sheldona
    Free Member

Have you caught Ghey Mick? Come on big fella get on your SS and show us how its done!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well if you want to sell your bikes and do something different why not? I can’t see what the issue is here.

SidewaysTim

I lost interest in riding about last August. Only ridden a couple of times since then – it happens to me every few years or so. I’m just starting to get back into it, but I’m still at the stage where I can easily find excuses not to bother. My son is a good one, as he’s really into his archery and show jumping, so I can often have to transport him here and there. Sad thing is that none of my kids are particularly into bikes so riding, for them, is a chore.

Moral of the story from past experience is have a bit of time off, but when the opportunity for a ride arises – take it. You might just get your mojo back.

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah best not rush into selling as id lose a fortune if i changed my mind lol and sheldon you may be right i may have just caught something 😉 all i seem to want to do at the min is ride motorbikes way too fast and leap out of planes lol oh well it may return 😉

Speshpaul

Timber
    I had a cast on for six weeks so i’ve got the comedy one fat one thin legs. If fact the muscle wastage/swelling was so quick i had 4 cast in the first 10 days. The brace is a “strap on” so no bolts through the leg.
    I’ve started on the turbo now so the leg is building up a bit.
    So maybe August i’ll be out on the road bike.

nickc

think the consensus is MTB is not consistent with early parenthood…

Pile of shite, there’s no such consensus at all about that.

Keva
    Free Member

nope, never lost interest, probably never will.

Kev

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘anyone else cant be bothered anymore’ is closed to new replies.