Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Anyone else bored of the 29er hype?
  • prezet
    Free Member

?

terrahawk
    Free Member

YES.

scaredypants

no – they’d only replace it with some other form of hype

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

Yes, though according to some on here, if you have a dropper seat post you are just buying into marketing hype, but if you have a 29er you definitely aren’t.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They already are replacing it. 29ers were the new singlespeeds, fatbikes are the new 29ers.

This one might have legs….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, I bought one and it rocks my socks (apart from the rear wheel exploded, I thought that was a myth!)

wwaswas

I thought that was a myth

So, 29ers – hit or myth?

igmc.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Remember its not hype 29ers are simply better bikes.

Soon the only 26″ bikes will be halfords specials or full on downhillers and as we know that’s not even cycling so it doesnt count.

Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

Not until I saw the truly awful videos they’re posting on Bike Radar this week in “29er Week”.

In tomorrow’s they’re going to tell us that a 29er can fly you to the moon faster than a rocket.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Not until I saw the truly awful videos they’re posting on Bike Radar this week in “29er Week”

I was pretty neutral until I saw those – now I know it’s hype.

Trimix
    Free Member

I rode one, found it just felt like it had slightly heavier wheels, but only slightly.

Mostly hype for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In tomorrow’s they’re going to tell us that a 29er can fly you to the moon faster than a rocket.

You’d need a fatbike when you got there, though.

Aidan
    Free Member

As someone who only rides a 29er these days, those Bikeradar videos made me feel sad.

If I’m not regularly kicking the arse of riders on 26″ wheels with my magic bike, there must be something wrong with me 😯

wrecker
    Free Member

The hype already seems to be moving on to 650B IMHO.
    29ers will have died (in the UK) before they even got started. Sell the bits now, they’ll be worthless soon.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Yes, though according to some on here, if you have a dropper seat post you are just buying into marketing hype, but if you have a 29er you definitely aren’t.

Oh god, where does that leave me? I have a dropper post on my 29er

singlespeedstu

Looks at bike and gets confused. 😆

2011_0902cyb0042 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Goes into garage and fits dropper post to fatbike to confuse other people. 😡

Bregante

Nope. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Having said that I don’t actually want one or have any inclination to try one either because their existence doesn’t make my own bike a worse ride in any way and I like what I already have. So nerr. :mrgreen:

davidjones15
    Free Member

What’s a 29er?
    What’s hype?

You’re all just so last year… 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If I got a 29er I’d still be slow. There is no point getting one just because it has big wheels.

singletracksurfer

yep I’m bored with it, although I agree with it 😉

the_lecht_rocks

blimey..

i was a hater and those videos are just sh1te – truly awful crap sponsored by specialized……………..but……………..

having demo’d one at length, i bought one coz it’s brilliant for what and where i ride………

for me [not everybody] 29″ is better…….

DezB
    Free Member

Doesn’t really bother me, but MBR’s front cover saying “29ers You Can’t Ignore!” is kind of amusing. Wanna bet?

Coasting
    Free Member

It wont be long b4 the market reaches saturation point and 26 will be rediscovered and become the next big thing

singlecrack
    Free Member

You need to embrace it ……….denial will only eat away at you

tazzymtb

no need for hype or evangelical zealots of any persuasion, just do what makes you smile and stuff what anyone else thinks

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

just do what makes you smile and stuff what anyone else thinks

Rubbish, what I want to know is will I look fast on one?

Ringo
    Free Member

Yes yeti you will, and the burds will want you 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m not so much bored with it all, just can’t understand why no-one thought of putting big wheels on MTB’s years ago, especially as theyr’e so much better.
    Aren’t they? Better at everything?

d45yth
    Free Member

Pah, 29″ is too big and 26″ is too small…650b is where it’s at!

Shackleton

I’m bored of the hype and I own one. It’s better at some things than my Heckler but worse at others. Pretty much what I expected given that one is a rigid singlespeed and the other has 6″ at each end.

They’re both bikes. They’re both enormous fun to ride.

Isn’t that the bit worthy of hype?

khani
    Free Member

Women will want you..men will follow you..wealth will befall you..nothing will defeat you..and the very air you breath will taste sweeter!!!
    …. if you ride a 29er.. then you are a man my son .. 😆 (allegedly)

molgrips
    Free Member

I also like the bikes I have, all of which are 26ers. Apart from the road orientated ones of course.

jon1973
    Free Member

Oh god, where does that leave me? I have a dropper post on my 29er

Blimey, you’ll be telling us you own an iPhone next 😆

matthew_h
    Free Member

Argh, guilty of that too.

I’m such a tedious cliche

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat as SSS, got a 29’er and a dropper to fit to it. Help me get out of this marketing led loop before its too late!!!

GaryLake
    Free Member

just can’t understand why no-one thought of putting big wheels on MTB’s years ago, especially as theyr’e so much better.

Didn’t Gary Fisher and co actually want to run with 29ers to begin with but settled on 26ers because of something as simple as tyre availability at the time?

Radioman

Can’t see the point of 29ers for shorter riders either as all the frame stuff has to be squashed in and can limit clearance. I like to be able to drop the seat post too. I’m happy to use bigger tyres to create my 27er!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Didn’t Gary Fisher and co actually want to run with 29ers to begin with but settled on 26ers because of something as simple as tyre availability at the time?

That was a few moons ago! so how has it taken this long to get round to it then if theyr’e so groundbraking?

GaryLake
    Free Member

That was a few moons ago! so how has it taken this long to get round to it then if theyr’e so groundbraking?

Well I think they were all too busy selling shed loads of this faddish new thing called a mountain bike to worry about whether they picked the right wheel size at the time. To be fair, didn’t Gary Fisher revisit them and bring them to the masses like a decade ago now?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Can’t see the point of 29ers for shorter riders either as all the frame stuff has to be squashed in and can limit clearance. I like to be able to drop the seat post too. I’m happy to use bigger tyres to create my 27er!

Define shorter? 5’8″ with a 17.5″ FS 29er here, takes a dropper post and 2.2 tyres with tons of clearance, could probably squeeze a 2.35 in there. My 5’6″ wife can ride it if I put a 60mm stem on it as well and it doesn’t look forced or silly either, quite normal in fact.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else bored of the 29er hype?’ is closed to new replies.