Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Anyone else been underwhelmed by a Push'ed Fox shock?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just got my shock Fox RP23 "Pushed" by TFTuned.

First ride out and it seems that whatever sag I run it at from something sensible such as 25% to way over the top such as 50%, that I can't get full travel on terrain where I'd normally expect to.

And its not as though it pedals any better – adjusting the pressure does change the amount it bobs but seemingly it doesn't make much difference to my bike's ability to get full travel.

I'm going to persevere (though my rear derailleur has just gone into the spokes catastrophically so I'm out of action for a while now) so before I slate TFTuned, just wondered if its possible something might have gone wrong or whether I'm expecting too much?

Has anyone else had problems?

Tracey

Kevin had a DHX coil shock pushed and it improved it alot, I would give TF a ring

Tracey

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had a DHX 5.0 coil done just before Christmas and if I'm honest, I can't feel any difference at all. I would have given them a call about it but I spent the first half of this year pretty much exclusively on my other bike so it was a good few months before I realised it wasn't all that.

nasher
    Free Member

just had my basiv float r pushed and the difference is immense.

However if you have a bells and whistles shock then maybe you will not benefit as much?

Also had an RP3 shock pushed for my yeti575 a while back and that was also very good.

Maybe its better for some suspension designs than others?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

were you honest about your weight and riding style? urban mincecore lite?

ganic
    Free Member

the push tune on my DHX coil 3.0 is really nice, the shock is much better in the mid stroke, not wallowy like it was. Defiantly recommend it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My RP23 was PUSHed before I bought it with a frame, though the owner and me had pretty much the same weight. I had it re-setup for me after a seal blew and the shock got stickdown. I was completely honest about my weight, even adding a couple of kilo for the camelback.

Its OK, not mind blowing, TF's recommended pressures were way too high as I got nowhere near full travel, even when I ended up pinch flatting my rear a few times 😕 At less pressure it gets travel but feels wallowy.

Keep meaning to ring TF for a chat about it. This is on a horst 5 spot with the PUSH LT plates.

DaveGr
    Free Member

had a RP2 pushed and didn't think much to it – was either on or off and no way of fine tuning. Not impressed. My RP23 standard shock on the new bike is miles better. Wouldn't bother having anything "pushed" again.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, I added a few kilos for a camel back and ticked xc racing and xc fun. I don't see how they'd tune it with such an agressive ramp up for "xc fun"???

Its on a Trek Fuel Ex, the non ABP version – the only thing I can think is that they tuned it for an ABP version? I don't believe it could make that much difference?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

If you dont like it speak to them. They'll change it for you 'i think' for free.

twohats
    Free Member

Pushed shocks in not much cop shocker!!!

I once overheard, "the placebo effect is very good, put a sticker on a shock and it does wonders for performance"…

Custom shock tuning by someone who's never seen you ride, a bit like having your eyes tested over the phone…

barrykellett
    Free Member

Why does everyone want to achieve "full travel" on a normal ride?

I want to achieve full travel when i hit something fairly big fairly badly and be happy that the suspension saved my bacon.

mikey74
    Free Member

You should bottom out the travel at least once or twice on every ride – shows that the shock is working properly, and that you are having fun :mrgreen:

P.S. I have never been impressed with PUSHed shocks. I have had an RP23 and a Vanilla R PUSHed and won't bother again.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i'll let you know when i get mine back (next week – new shock body on order), i'm more interested in improving the mid-range of the shock so it doesn't blow though it so quickly

mikey3
    Free Member

pardon my ignorance but what is a pushed fork ?How does it differ from a normal fork.

Junkyard
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

After an instance of less than satisfactory service from Mojo, I had the Fox on my old Enduro PUSHed a couple of years back and it absolutely transformed the bike. I was absolutely delighted with it.

I am certainly planning on having my Pike Airs PUSHed at some point too.

twohats
    Free Member

You should bottom out the travel at least once or twice on every ride – shows that the shock is working properly, and that you are having fun

Not so. On my local swoopy single track blast I wouldn't want my suspension to be getting full travel as it would mean it would be set up way too soft just to achieve unnecessary full travel on the undulating terrain. Likewise, a ride down the canal I wouldn't expect full travel either!
    On the more challenging terrain is where you should be making use of the suspension and getting full travel. A correctly set up bike will only use its full travel where needed.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not so. On my local swoopy single track blast I wouldn't want my suspension to be getting full travel as it would mean it would be set up way too soft just to achieve unnecessary full travel on the undulating terrain. Likewise, a ride down the canal I wouldn't expect full travel either!

Well in that case those are two areas where you don't need suspension then.

twohats
    Free Member

Well in that case those are two areas where you don't need suspension then.

Owning only one mountain bike, its a bit difficult to go out without the suspension… 😕

Lionheart
    Free Member

we have a Push'd Van, hugh difference, had a Push'd R3 quite a big difference, have Push'd 32 forks little difference , RP23 is as good as I would want anyway so no need there, I reckon different frames, leverage rates, riding style, diff shox etc… all make a difference etc.. TF always really helpful so give them a call

GW
    Free Member

some of you lot need to realise suspension can be set up to use all the travel on most rides without bottoming harshly!

get shorter travel bikes if you're only using half the available travel.

Twohats in completely out of his depth talking bollox shocker more like.

and I'd have though someone patient and technically adept with the correct equipment could test their own eyes over the phone with expert direction. 😛

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had a custom tuned vanilla r and it was loads better did exactly what I wanted it to do (from the tune).

twohats
    Free Member

some of you lot need to realise suspension can be set up to use all the travel on most rides without bottoming harshly!

get shorter travel bikes if you're only using half the available travel.

Twohats in completely out of his depth talking bollox shocker more like.

and I'd have though someone patient and technically adept with the correct equipment could test their own eyes over the phone with expert direction.

A prime example of the usual GW bollocks right there… 😐

Vortexracing

had a float r rear shock pushed – immense difference (no punctures afterwards)

had a RP2/3 pushed whilst new – seems very good and controlled.

had 2 x Pikes pushed – brilliant in the fast rocky stuff now

considering having my Vanilla R rear shock pushed – because I have always seen and improvement.

spoke to TFT about altering my reba teams which have blackbox damping, the answer from them was don't bother the black box damping in the Rockshox forks is as good as the push conversion on the non blackbox damped ones.

nice honest answer and obviously not out just to take money.

ring them they are very pleasnat and accomodating, and yes they will alter it once free of charge.

GW
    Free Member

😆

take off one of your hats, let your head cool down and you might be able to come back with something to back up your retort!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have to heap some special praise on TF Tuned, their customer service is excellent and their technical advice (often from Tim Flooks himself) is free from BS.

Shock tuning is dependent on the information you give them, be honest about your riding style and weight and you shouldn't be disappointed.

nb – MBR have been running some technical comparisons between shocks, including a PUSHed RP3. Makes for interesting reading, it would seem that the most recent Fox shocks are much improved over older units.

squin
    Free Member

I had an old Float R Pushed some time back and it made a massive difference. When it first came back it didn't feel how I quite wanted it, so sent it back to Tim @ TF and they altered the settings very slightly FOC. Came back spot on.

They didn't get it wrong the first time, I should have probably said that I prefered a particular type of feel from my shock in the first place, as when I did explain over the phone, it then came back perfect.

I was so impressed by TF's customer service that I sent them a bit of cash to have a drink on me as a little thank you.

I would call TF and explain what type of feel you hoped for, and I bet it comes back perfect!

bungalistic
    Free Member

As some folk mention above the suspension design also affects the shocks performance and if this isn't mentioned when you get it push'ed it may be it hasn't been set up quite right for your bike/and or riding style.

Not had it done yet but my RP2 blows through it's travel far too easily so could probably do with a tune up.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

had 2 x Pikes pushed – brilliant in the fast rocky stuff now

thats nice to know, as my pike is being done as well… 🙂

Vortexracing

you won't be dissapointed.

may feel a little harsher on the slow speed stuff, so be warned.

enough to notice, but not enough to be bothered about IMHO

RepacK
    Free Member

Heres a link to an earlier thread on the subject – hope it helps
    clicky

nasher
    Free Member

Going back to this, if you have a very basic shock then i think its worth it.

HOWEVER!! Also I find that a basic shock v a pushed one on normal UK riding conditions and I doubt you will notice much of a difference.

Now if you are doing an hour plus descent on rocky and varying terrain where the shock works hard and gets VERY warm (which affects damping etc..) then there is a huge difference.

My friend has Lapierre spicy 516 with the float RP23 shock, I have a Spicy with a pushed float R.

I hardly notice much difference, the rp23 climbs better, but obviously there is more slow speed compression damping….and you have to remember to flick the lever.

On the rock gardens I find the pushed one a bit more compliant… but only just.

Basically if I had an RP23 I wouldnt bother having it pushed but maybe ask Mojo to do some custom tuning whilst servicing for an extra £30 quid!!!

GW
    Free Member

how very random! not to mention a load of shite ^^

nick1c
    Free Member

I had my DHX3 coil pushed – it was due a service anyway. I have a Helius CC & am no riding god (I aspire to mincecore lite). No idea why, but post 'push' the rear felt more planted & confidence inspiring downhill, so now I go less slowly. It hasn't revolutionized the ride for me, but it feels better & I think it was worth it.

grumm
    Free Member

Not so. On my local swoopy single track blast I wouldn't want my suspension to be getting full travel as it would mean it would be set up way too soft just to achieve unnecessary full travel on the undulating terrain.

Isn't that what propedal is for?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I thought propedal is to stop the bike bobbing whilst pedalling. It adds low speed compression damping – it shouldn't be used to jack up a shock that is set up too soft to start with?

So can I get TFT to keep the low speed compression damping set up and reduce the mid and high speed compression damping – that could prevent me getting full travel if there's too much? Like I said I ticked 'XC racing' and 'XC fun', now that doesn't imply I'm going to need the same sort of compression damping that someone hucking off 6 ft drops will need does it??

adt
    Free Member

I have a pushed rp23 on my scott spark and it is awsome ,never touch the lever now climbs and sprints like a hardtail but with that bit extra grip and just opens up on the descents

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What did you specify adt? The (2007) Fuel Ex and Spark both have pivots on the seat stay so there may be some vague similarities?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else been underwhelmed by a Push'ed Fox shock?’ is closed to new replies.