Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Anyone else been attacked by badger during night ride?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I was out on my bike last week on a country road and then next minute I hear snarling, feel the back of my bike get clattered and something scampering close to my wheel. Can only assume it was either a Grizzly bear or a Badger. Given it was pitch black and my light was only illuminating in front and turning around just revealed a dark void I sprinted up the unlight country road as fast as my little legs could carry me. After about a mile I kept thinking to myself that I must have out run it!

Interested to hear any other tails as I am about to go out again, but think I will do a different route tonight. Bigs girls blouse I hear you say, you will encounter bigger furry creatures on the Tour Divide:-O

ononeorange

My mate sort-of was. It ran out from the side, head-butted his leg and then charged on right in front of me. They’re brave. And big.

flanagaj
    Free Member

It does freak you out though!

honeybadgerx

They are known to attack people, I used to have to fill out a section on our site risk assessments relating to whether badgers were present or not as they can be vicious things, closest we have to bears!

Klunk
    Free Member

MTFU it’s just an over sized member of the weasel family. 😉

Bunnyhop

Riding with the lads one night I glanced a badger sideways on. Somehow I managed to keep the bike and myself upright. However the feeling of soft fur on my leg in the pitch black is one I won’t forget.
    At the bottom of the track all the guys had managed to dodge it as it wibbled along the track.

Was this around your local Blandford flanagaj? We saw three on Monday night.

redthunder
    Free Member

Yes [not attacked] but ran alongside on the right got under the pedals, it then got in front and went to left in front of me and then veered into hedges and doom forest.

Bit scarey at first it seemed like rhino was attacking, but South Glos isn’t known for it’s Rhino population.

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep, night riding on my own on the South Downs. I heard what I could only assume was a lion or werewolf in the long grass next to me, I let out a girly scream as the savage beast lept out and ran between my wheels taking a chunk of my ankle with it..

The next climb was done so fast, shame strava hadn’t been invented then.

Sonor
    Free Member

Not been attacked, but had run ins with two of them in Richmond park of all places.

The first one was sitting by the track in the ferns and the first I knew about it was when it jumped back into the ferns right alongside me. all I saw was it’s back legs disappearing.

The second on the same ride was on the track when I came round the corner. Caught it in the lights, it just carried on doing what it was doing. It then turned and looked at me. A small voice in the back of my head said sh*t…I was only about fifteen feet away. It then trotted off into the bushes.

burnside81
    Free Member

Badgers are nasty bastards. I’d of soiled myself if that happened to me. I say cull away!

Hohum
    Free Member

I have seen lots of different animals when out and about, but I have never come across a badger.

flanagaj
    Free Member

“Was this around your local Blandford flanagaj? We saw three on Monday night.” – Yep. Between Wimborne and Holt.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have never come across a badger.

They don’t like it, it gets stuck in their fur.

IGMC

andrewh
    Free Member

MTFU it’s just an over sized member of the weasel family

So’s a wolverine…

wwaswas

I cycled over a badgers nose once on a night ride.

Horrible crunching noise it made.

It was only after I went back to check I realised it was a dead one in some longish grass

TheFopster
    Free Member

Been chased by one on a solo night ride in a Swedish forest. Like previous poster it was the one time I was in with a chance of a KOM. Pedalled like fury to get away…

mattrgee
    Free Member

Not been attacked, but had run ins with two of them in Richmond park of all places.

Were they being chased by a dog?

Fenton!!! Jesus Christ….

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Glad I only read this now. I saw one a couple of weeks ago when running in my local woods. Was about 6 foot away and we just looked at each other for a while, then it casually strolled away. From all the above I would have expected it to jump up and bite my throat! Perhaps they just get spooked when a bike silently zooms up to them?

fisherboy
    Free Member

Another southdowns encounter near cissbury ring. A badger ran out of the hedgerow in front of me, then turned and ran directly at me. Before i could really react it had head butted the front wheel. Strange thing is we kind of bounced/glanced off each other, then it went between the wheels back off into the hedgerow. Not scarey as such because it happened all too quick but a very odd moment.

Sonor
    Free Member

Were they being chased by a dog?

Fenton!!! Jesus Christ….

If only. It would have made short work of the dog and the owner.

racefaceec90

luckily not yet.but i did scare one when coming back at the end of a night ride (wasn’t my ugly mug 😆 the badger took off down the road at high speed (it was a big badger too) due to my hugely powerful mark 1 hope 2 leds 😆

have had another badger cross the road and run past me on the pavement before (as i was walking back from my local 24 hour garage).beautiful animals,but big also 🙂

tomtomthepipersson

Theres loads of the buggers round my way. I had a collision with a rather large one – it came out of nowhere and I hit it head on… Over the the bars I went, followed by a bloody quick ninja-style back on my feet move as I though he may try to finish me off. He’d scarpered though. Coward.

landcruiser
    Free Member

What aggressive Badgers you all seem to have encountered ! My only ‘whilst riding’ experience resulted in me rounding corner, Badger standing in the middle of the trail. I stopped, amazed ” it’s a Badger” etc … Badger sighed, turned away and wandered off unimpressed !

vorlich
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI[/video]

Duggan

Are they really that aggressive? 😯

Serious question- if one attacks you, are you actually in a spot of bother? Always thought they were just like hedgehogs or something.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bunnyhop
    However the feeling of soft fur on my leg in the pitch black is one I won’t forget

Thanks for sharing but the thread is about badgers not beavers

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a badger family in my neighbours garden, in the middle of the town. They’ve never attacked anyone or anything.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Duggan – Member
    Are they really that aggressive?

Serious question- if one attacks you, are you actually in a spot of bother? Always thought they were just like hedgehogs or something.
    No, they are not aggressive. However once provoked they are pretty fearsome fighters, illegal pursuit of fighting badgers and dogs. If one did attack you (you’d really have to p1ss it off) then yes you might be in a spot of bother

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Got badgers that forage in my garden and I sometimes sit on the grass by our decking waiting for them, they come quite close but when they realise I’m there they scarper. Proper playful characters and like to chase one and other and any neighbourhood cats.

gaznewns
    Free Member

I see loads of wild life on my night rides, badgers dears owls etc. i usually stop and watch them if they hang around.

Badgers can be aggressive but wouldn’t usually go for you unless provoked and in answer to one comment above yes if one did attack you you would be in trouble a they bite real bad. Badger baiters used to wear bags of ashes around their ankles in case they got bitten as (apparently) don’t stop until they feel/hear a crunch?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I was doing about 20mph chatting to a mate on the way to Cissbury (south downs again – badger hotspot!) one jumped out the hedge, took out my front wheel. I thought I’d broken my collarbone, luckily it was OK though. My exposure light however was killed, it had to go back. I put a note in the box to say it was victim of a badger attack and they fixed it for free 🙂

gregwaring
    Free Member

Not a badger, but I was maliciously taken out by a sheep in broad daylight in the Berkshire downs. It ran out in front of me, stopped, and took a step back to make sure I couldn’t avoid it. I’d liken it to running into a brick wall 3ft high, I flew over the bars and got a concussion and 6 stitches for my troubles.

The sheep just baa’ed its amusement as it strolled off unharmed!

gregwaring
    Free Member

Have seen plenty of badgers in the peak though, and they usually just run
    off, never struck me as the slightest bit aggressive.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yes I have been whacked in the side by a badger coming home from a solo night ride- he just came bowling out of a hedge and straight into my leg. Hard to say which of us was most surprised. Pretty sure he went under my wheels, but he loped off, seemingly without injury. Apparently they have pretty poor eyesight. Well he would have to have, I was lit up like a Christmas tree..

Maybe next time he’ll listen to this guy;

I also got taken out by a Dartmoor pony about 8 years ago. Bottom of widowmaker, in the mist. Now they are solid..

qwerty
    Free Member

No, but I’ve been ravaged by a beaver, a filthy night it twas.

boingeyjon
    Free Member

Yeah badgers are vicious – but they’re not the only ones. Squirrels will go for you if they get a chance – and rabbits are vicious if you corner them. Oh and watch out for weasels as well – they can easily take your leg off. I went out the other day and there was a robin sitting on a fence post. It was looking at me like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. It would definitely have gone for me – but I think the smell as I soiled my shorts put it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Badger you say….

daytime encounter

mrchrispy

Saw a couple of angry beavers once coming down off the pike into horwich….although i wasnt afraid as they were safely contained in a car and guarded by a load of friendly chaps.

Dave
    Free Member

This is my only angry badger encounter

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else been attacked by badger during night ride?’ is closed to new replies.