Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone else at Glenlivet today ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Went to Glenlivet today for the first time with my new bike.

Had to say I really enjoyed it and was loads faster than last time I went even though I was blowing out of my arse more.

Proper windy on the best downhill bit and got blown off course on one of the drops which was interesting.

Anyone else up there today ?

I met a chap on a red Santa Cruz and 3 people riding trances.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Did you use Strava?

renton
    Free Member

Yes….
    Check out my 14.3 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/302966245

iainc

and how did the Giant perform ?

renton
    Free Member

Mixed opinion so far mate.

My lead foot was hurting as was my hip on the same side.

I couldnt get as much air On it either.

The bike felt a lot quicker than my previous bike.

Just my fitness let me down.

renton
    Free Member

Also achy hands ?

Anyone got an idea why my lead foot and hip were hurting.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I checked out ‘flybys’ on your ride, no-one else was on Strava today at Glenlivet 🙁
    Your GPS data looks all over the place, loads of jumps and straightlines.
    What’s the dampness factor there at the moment? I might go and try to find the SES stages this weekend…

renton
    Free Member

It was pretty dry , just bloody windy.

Why would my GPS be all over the place then.

stuc
    Free Member

I hope I can hit 70 odd mph when I head up there in a few weeks

renton
    Free Member

Ah yes just looked. Not sure what’s happening there.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Where do you carry your phone when using Strava?

bungalistic
    Free Member

Is Glenlivet worth a visit? I’m up and around the cairngorms for a few days next week so still looking at route ideas

Trekster

bungalistic – Member
    Is Glenlivet worth a visit? I’m up and around the cairngorms for a few days next week so still looking at route ideas

All depends if you like trail centres? Bit like Glentress if you have ever been?
    Starts with a bit of along and up with stunning views then comes a f**! +f big climb with a bit of a kick up at the top! more views. Then follows a cracking decent mostly all the way back to cafe… Only been the once and enjoyed it after cramping on the climb!! Put that down to the 5hr drive the day before 🙄

A few pics clicky……
    Pic 6&7 are the MBUK guys who were doing the mag review

Deveron53
    Free Member

Glenlivet is great for people who live in the greater area but I wouldn’t travel more than 100 miles! Combine it with a trip to Laggan.
    My usual Glenlivet visit consists of: cycle from Bridgend of Glenlivet via local trail, descend the Red, have a coffee, do the Blue, have another coffee, do the Red again and then do the Red ascent and go back down to Bridgend of Glenlivet (where I usually camp).
    At Laggan, do the Black followed by the Orange. Then repeat. Then move on. There’s a nice-ish loop around Grantown as well, so the three areas make for a decent weekend of intermediate riding.

scotroutes

Laggan Black is intermediate 😯

renton
    Free Member

Deveron53. Do you do all of that in one go ?? Seriously impressed if you do.

I normally carry my phone in my backpack.

Trekster

renton – Member
    Deveron53. Do you do all of that in one go ?? Seriously impressed if you do.

Lots of fit people around but when people post/ask the question;

bungalistic – Member

How are we to know how fit the person is or what time they have available 💡
    eg I just like to bimble around, others may be Strava chasers, can they read an OS map or just want an easy follow the arrows trail centre ride…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Deveron53. Do you do all of that in one go

I take all day! Those coffee stops can get loooong…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Laggan Black is intermediate

Intermediate in length maybe, definitely not in difficulty (for your average rider anyway). I guess it depends on what you’re used to.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It’s fine, nothing special. I went on a weekend with mates, there was a bit of a spread of abilities and was as much about getting away from the wife/kids/home for a couple of days, stayed at the hostel, had some beers, rode a bit on the bikes. For that purpose it was fine, and everyone could ride everything but I wouldn’t be rushing to go back. Be interesting to see what trails crop up after the Scottish Enduro Series in a few weeks, seems like they’ll be using a lot of new and unmarked stuff.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Staying in a campsite about 30 miles away from Glenlivet, probably going to ride a Cairngorms loop and then something else before heading up to Torridon, whence asking if Glenlivet is worth a trip or if there is something better I could be doing (maybe as we drive towards to Torridon)

Northwind

Deveron53 – Member

At Laggan, do the Black followed by the Orange. Then repeat. Then move on

Nah, nip over the valley and do the Brown and the Other One.

paladin

bungalistic – Member

Glenlivet can be done in an hour and a bit easy. All of it. Its good, there’s just not that much. Learnie has more stuff, I keep meaning to go back there.

Northwind

Last time I was there Learnie had suffered quite a bit from losing a descent right in the middle of the black to forestry work, and from pretty bad waymarking, broke up the loop badly and the further away black/red loop was pretty hard to follow (I remember a junction of 5 trails with no signs- I ended up riding up a red descent). It’s got some really cool riding but it all felt a bit forgotten and neglected, anyone know if there’s been any change since?

Balblair isn’t far from Learnie and is a wee hidden gem, minimoabs!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Laggan Black is intermediate 😯

It’s challenging but once you’ve done it, you see your usual trails in a different light. It’s probably the hardest sustained Black ‘trail centre trail’ I’ve ever been on, most Blacks elsewhere have nowhere near as many rocks. It reminds me of soloing rock climbs back in the 80s. When I’m doing it, It feels ‘wrong’, my body is trying to tell me it’s dangerous but after I’ve finished it, I kind of crave that rush again! I need to go back and do it more cleanly next time (no dabs or 1st refusals!). I have a local trail called(Strava segment name) The Rocky Horror Show (South descent from Mither Tap, Bennachie) I may not be so gripped this time!

Staying in a campsite about 30 miles away from Glenlivet

Check out the Bridgend of Glenlivet campsite. £5 per night per tent, fantastic showers, peaceful, relaxing and within off-road biking distance of the trail centre. Almost no-one uses it because it’s not well advertised.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else at Glenlivet today ?’ is closed to new replies.