Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • PSA? Anyone else applied for the marriage allowance tax break?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

The wife is somewhat a lady of leisure and earns 5/6 k a year. We only 2 weeks ago stole some of her tax allowance to give to me which is the only reason I can see for being paid 200 sheets extra last month. Better than a kick in the stones I suppose.

richardkennerley

Can we apply for this when the Mrs goes on maternity!?

oldnpastit

What marriage allowance tax break? I thought that got abolished a decade ago?

jimdubleyou
    wrightyson
    Free Member

If she earns less than 11k which is now the taxable threshold I think, then you can basically add that allowance to your own. However IANAACCOUNTANT but a mere builder so others may know better.

richardkennerley

Looking at the gov.UK site, your tax bill should reduce by £212 a year, don’t think you should be getting an extra £200 a month!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Surely you don’t pay tax on an extra 1000 which at 20% is 200 quid? It could be I was over taxed at Christmas on my bonus?

RichPenny
    Free Member

It says on the site that it’s backdated, so potentially you would get the whole sum in one month. Hoping that my wife being unemployed actually counts… Anyone in that scenario? In homage to yesterdays thread:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘PSA? Anyone else applied for the marriage allowance tax break?’ is closed to new replies.