Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone else’s house being battered by the storm?
  • Daffy

The anemometer on the side of our house is showing it gusting up to 79mph…

Can’t sleep upstairs as the roof is making some God awful noises, the garage door is deflecting by almost 6 inches during strong gusts, you can feel the front windows bending under gust loads, there’s fence panels wobbling everywhere and I wish I’d brought the Palms inside.

I’m staying downstairs as it’s terrifying upstairs.

wiggles
    Free Member

my bedroom is 3 stories up on a platform 20ft higher than the road completely exposed on top of a big hill, feels like the windows are going to rip off!

Currently trying to sleep downstairs…

sharkbait
    Free Member

The handle on one of our bedroom windows has broken and the window keeps blowing open and ducking three curtains out!
    Very noisy.
    Just been to the garage to get my drill and screws to seal the damn thing shut.
    Nice and quiet now but I can’t sleep 😡

wrightyson
    Free Member

The inevitable has just happened, next doors overloaded Christmas recycling bin has popped open and jettisoned stuff out of it, our dog went ape shit as I presume it all blew in to the house. Wakey wakey!!

spooky_b329

I’m right on the south coast where the wind isn’t too bad… However I’m in a very exposed position and am laying here listening to stuff getting dragged around the garden. Had much worse here, at least the roof isn’t rattling yet!

There is a website called wunderground which is a good game, you can see all the internet connected home weather stations, there is one near me on the seafront that goes nuts 🙂

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Yep, 10ft garden trampoline unanchored itself, flipped and made it’s way to the other side of the garden. Now taken apart, but I’m now also wide awake…

enfht
    Free Member

Wobbly fence panel removed (under torchlight) otherwise it would have blown over taking more with it.

spooky_b329

I’ve given up on sleep, combination of stressing about work ( 🙁 ) and the weather ( 🙂 )

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?isPresentationActive=0&Units=english&zoom=8&lat=50.824&lon=-0.134&wxstn=1&wxstnmode=tw&radar=0&radaropa=0.7&satellite=0&satelliteopa=0.8&insertHurricaneNameHere=false&goes16opa=&severe=0&severeopa=0.9&sst=0&sstopa=0.8&sstanom=0&sstanomopa=0.8&cam=0&fronts=0&hur=0&models=0&modelsmodel=ecmwf&modelsopa=0.8&modelstype=SURPRE&lightning=0&fire=0&fireopa=0.9&rep=0&surge=0&tor=0

Edit: I’m not sure the data is quite right unless the storm has passed over…wind readings seem low here and up north I thought it was meant to be worse. Highest gusts I can see are around 50-60mph.

transporter13
    Free Member

Currently driving through the new forest on route to poole in my lorry. Very very windy indeed… Spending as much time driving sieways as forwards it seems.
    At least theres less rain down here than near Northampton where it cam only be described as biblical!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m wondering if my bins fallen over 😐

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yep, 10ft garden trampoline unanchored itself, flipped and made it’s way to the other side of the garden. Now taken apart, but I’m now also wide awake…

You fool, you could have been this years Youtube sensation!

I’m wondering if my bins fallen over

The suspense is killing me, have they?

whitestone
    Free Member

We’re in a fairly exposed location -while it’s been noisy overnight it hasn’t been that bad. I suspect that the local wind direction is from a more sheltered direction for us.

giantalkali
    Free Member

My bin is leaning against my neighbour’s car, is this likely to cause a problem?

bikebouy
    Free Member

My bins fine, phew.

Though my old lady neighbour has just retrieved her bin from the middle of the cul-de-sac, in her nightie 😯

Houns

Off to see what the wind has brought down. Lots of weakened limbs and trees from the snow a couple of weeks back so expecting a lot of work today

CHB

Live wind map!

The above is a really good wind map. I looks like t’North has two pressure systems with the one over the Atlantic feeding fast air into the one in the North Sea. No wonder it feels like Leeds is about to be blown away!

On the plus side, nearly 25% of UK electricity is wind powered today:

UK Gridwatch

woffle
    Free Member

We’re in an exposed position down in Sussex – winds coming straight up against the house. Garden furniture has been nicely rearranged and a hedge flattened but otherwise ok. Shed / garage / greenhouse / chickens etc all look to have survived ok 🙂

The drive to the station took twice as long due to trees being down over the road. LOTS of dead branches and debris everywhere, not helped by the standing water still being there after 4-5 days of pretty much constant rain. Very surprised that the trains were running ok!

But I think we got off very lightly in the South East compared to some.

weeksy

I slept fine… 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I bet Renton has been up all night on wheelie bin watch.. 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

My bin is leaning against my neighbour’s car, is this likely to cause a problem?

If it’s damaged their car, I guess it will.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I think their car will be ok, it’s a BMW

matt_outandabout

We’re tucked in and sheltered, however last night’s rain and hail has now frozen solid…. Everything is ice.

convert

Brand spanking new Sea Kayak threw itself across the garden on Christmas day when the weather was pretty mild by comparison. Soooo glad I built it a berth in the carport last week or it might have been in orbit about now.

On a positive note the garden full of dead leaves covering the lawn that I was getting nagged at to sort seemed to have ****** off somewhere else.

Freester

Got woken up by the bins being blown over last night. At least they had been emptied yesterday morning.

I reckon that’s the windiest I’ve ever experienced / heard since moving in to our home 2 years ago.

Daffy

Well, we’ve lost 2 ridge tiles, 3 tiles, a fence panel. 3 parts of the soffits (spelling?) and the edge of the garden slide…I can’t even find that.

isto
    Free Member

Smoke started coming out of the front of our stove…..something to do with a down draft apparently, which can be caused by high winds. After frantic googling it was resolved by opening a window which meant the smoke started going back up the flue.

hodgynd
    Free Member

One of the neighbours recycling bin is 50 yards down the street as it hadn’t been taken in after being emptied yesterday ..I heard it blow over ..watched that it didn’t hit my car and then went to sleep ..quite calm here as of now ..

giantalkali
    Free Member

I like to see an empty wheelie bin scuttering off down the street, it looks like the front of a caterham seven, especially a green recycling one.

burko73

Lid blew off our bin.

Not as bad as the over Xmas storm – the other bin lid blew off then and I still can’t find it!

votchy
    Free Member

Woken at 2am by rain and hail sounding like gravel against the window, all quiet by 2:30am and no visible damage when leaving for work at 6am

NewRetroTom

There was a puddle of water on the kitchen floor this morning. I was blaming the cats until I noticed the light fitting above the puddle was wet. The felting on the flat roof must have given up. It wasn’t all that windy last night, but it did rain a lot.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yep, the wind kept me awake last night. Dunno if it’s more to do with the veggie diet or not though… parp.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else’s house being battered by the storm?’ is closed to new replies.