• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone eat when stressed? Ideas to stop it?
  • walla24
    Free Member

When ever I can sense anything stressful coming up I eat…anything bad for me is best eg. biscuits, fast food, what ever I can get my hands on.

I’m not obese but can see it’s a pretty unhealthy habit….anyone else have experience of this or how to deal with it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Earplugs and a blindfold?

Unless you can smell fear, this should stop you sensing most stressful stuff until it’s too late to cram a biscuit in.

cokie

I’m similar.
    What works for me is;
    – Drink lots of fluid. I always have a bottle and drink that when I sense I want to eat.
    – Chewing gum. I found that it keeps my mouth busy and tends to satisfy the craving.
    – Get up and walk/cycle/move.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can look at dealing with the stress more effectively also.

Cougar

The best way of stopping eating biscuits is first to stop buying biscuits. Buy fruit instead perhaps?

+1 Cokie.

Albanach
    Free Member

Ice cold water to hand, handful of nuts/dried fruit instead.

walla24
    Free Member

I have a big problem in that there is always a 1kg box of biscuits at work just tempting me…and a nice café opposite that sells awesome cake and extends tabs to staff!

Lucky to have an active job, it’s mainly when I’m stuck at the desk and when I’m at home in the evenings

Chewing gum is a good idea

anyone had hypnosis?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I claim my five pounds….

zilog6128

You can look at dealing with the stress more effectively also.

I would agree with this. IME you need to deal with the cause, not the symptoms. You might also find that when you do eat junk food, you get even more stressed as you’re upset with yourself. Vicious circle. Sounds like something CBT could address successfully.

ourmaninthenorth

Double post.

ourmaninthenorth

OP – your guide to salvation from emotional eating is here

Sure, it’s in the context of weight loss, but that’s because it’s from the Horizon programme on identifying the right diet for you.

What you’re looking to do is to retrain your response to the stress. Your current habit is to reach for certain food types. You need to change to a new habit in these circumstances.

IHN

The above is all good advice, obviously, but if it’s only on occasion, and it’s not causing you any health problems, you may just be giving yourself something else to stress about.

There’s no harm in occasionally, when you’re feeling a bit pissed off or stressed, thinking “**** it, I fancy a pizza and a beer”.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get this. So I try to train myself to think of this:

And this

xcgb
    Free Member

This thread has really made me want a mars bar!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the OP’s job is to check for deadly snakes amongst the machinery in the McVitie’s factory?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve a similar issue, my weight is directly related to how much weed I smoke. (Hence, I’m a fat bastard!)

Solution, if I want to lose weight, I stop buying weed.

My conclusion, you should stop buying stress! 😆

findo_gask
    Free Member

You can get these brilliant little cylindrical things which you can burn to give a temporary lift from life’s vicissitudes. Think they’re called ‘benson and hedges’ 😉

walla24
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – wow thank you, goldmine

Del

OP, set the spaniel on Toby, and leave the biscuits alone. they’re ( supposed to be ) for us!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone eat when stressed? Ideas to stop it?’ is closed to new replies.