Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Anyone driven the 1.0 Ford Focus EcoBoost? Motorway advice
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

” 330 with 75k on the clock “

you started so promising then came out with a low milage car that you bought to back up your statement.

But to most people, that’s spaceship mileage. The amount of people who thought that was a lot when we bought it was unbelievable. My old 325 has 120k on the clock when it went…still on the original clutch and was fine other than being an E46 with an insatiable appetite for suspension components.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Have to admit I only look for 40k and under for a petrol car.

Diesel I’ve bought with 80k in before.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Why don’t you just take it for a 20 mile blast once a week to clear the dpf and keep it? Cheaper than replacing the car.

catnash
    Free Member

Keep looking for that focus, the beauty of it is the engine is light so steering is even more precise. Im on my second ecoboost. Just cant fault it. Lot more fun to drive than the golf.

Type in millbrook ecoboost focus zetec s in youtube.

hora
    Free Member

MoseyMTB simply drive the diesel like a petrol. Hold the gears and dont shift up.

Its your driving style. My bro in law was the same in his diesel golf (he did 20k a year but was conservative/sooted it up).

Once a month grt a lairy petrol driver have a shortish spin.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The finances are all in place and I fancy a change so it’s a good excuse.

Oh and I drive it like a petrol most mornings.

I watched the Millbrook video this morning by coincidence.

I’ll keep looking.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Keep looking for that focus, the beauty of it is the engine is light so steering is even more precise. Im on my second ecoboost. Just cant fault it. Lot more fun to drive than the golf.
    Type in millbrook ecoboost focus zetec s in youtube.

The new Golfs are actually good to drive and have closed the gap on the Focus. You’ll also get a nice interior, the ore face lift Focus interior is horrid with to many buttons.

Everyone bangs on about Fords being great handling for normal cars but I don’t get it. My Fiesta is supposed to be the best handling supermini, but my previous MINI’s were loads better. And I mean loads. The Polo that I tested recently was better as well.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Golfs are too expensive, the 1.4 TSI in mk6 is just too small. The new polo is bigger.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sorry dude but there is no way the Mk VI is smaller than the Polo. The Polo is tiny inside…smaller than my Fiesta which is why the Blue GT as been remove from my shopping list.

The Focus isn’t that practical either because the boot is tiny. It’s a step back from the previous gen.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ok, well maybe I need to reassess my opinion on the Mk6 Golf.

My FIL has the MK7 and it’s still not big, the boot is better though.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is no way a new golf drives as well as a new focus. It just feels heavier and lazier. There are lots of small roundabouts near me and they show up the limits of grip at a slow speed and the Golf didn’t fare well on them. Scabbly understeer. Not sure about the sporty models with fancy pants diffs, torque vectoring and trick suspension, but in the normal cars the focus is a better drivers car – if that’s important to you. The latest Astra is also very good and probably as good as a focus, but I have an aversion to the Vauxhall brand, don’t know why as I have owned a few over the years and were good cars, but they seemed to lose their way for a while, maybe they’re worth a look again.

I’m sorting the wife out with a car at the mo and like the op avoiding a diesel in favour of an efficient petrol. Fancy something a bit different (for us at least) and looking at a 1.6T 1 Series BMW, about time we popped our BMW cherry to see what all the fuss is about.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m sorting the wife out with a car at the mo and like the op avoiding a diesel in favour of an efficient petrol. Fancy something a bit different (for us at least) and looking at a 1.6T 1 Series BMW, about time we popped our BMW cherry to see what all the fuss is about.

A BMW without a six pot is not a BMW! It’s a sad day now that the six pot has almost been killed off, the next one series will be front wheel drive too. Their new three cylinder petrol in the MINI which is also in the face lifted one series is a cracking little engine even if it does sound like a diesel at tick over. It’s got much more character than the previous lower end four pots. I had a new MINI for the afternoon a few weeks ago and despite driving like a tool it still averaged 44mpg what cy I thought was pretty good when my diesel Fiesta averages 51 when driven like a saint.

Northwind

mindmap3 – Member

The Focus isn’t that practical either because the boot is tiny. It’s a step back from the previous gen.

That’s the way of it, with foci. If you could get a new mk1 with a dab of modernisation but the same basic package, I’d be all over it, mine was shit but it did so many things right that the later ones do wrong.

andywill

Cycling buddy has recently bought a 1 series, he did say it,s grabbed his attention a few times on greasy roads! The traction control light comes on quite regularly as well apparently, could be his driving style

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So how about the non turbo 1.6 zetec?

What’s that engine like in the real world. Obviously the road tax is higher but like we said that’s a one off cost.

chestrockwell

The non turbo 1.6 is cheap for a reason. It’s old tech and used so Ford can offer a lower priced Focus.

It was ok in the original Focus but even back then it was gutless. I’d steer clear and go for the 1.0t.

Confused with the comments about the current car being a step backward. I had one and Mum still has the previous gen. In real terms the new one was no less practical then the model before.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

What’s gutless about it?

It has the same bhp (125) but in a 1.6 engine.

Is it the torque?

Thanks,

I’m really struggling to find a 1.0l 125bhp exoboost and considering a 1.4 turbo astra.

chestrockwell

They’re just sluggish with little ‘go’. They are fine for what they are but overtaking is a pain. They’ll still be nice to drive though just not very swift.

Looking for a new car myself and would have another 1.0t no worries but my fiancee fancies something different and it’s her Mini we’re changing. Tested an Alfa Giulietta and was underwhelmed. The Focus is a much nicer car to drive. Testing a BMW 1 Series on Tuesday even though they look shocking.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just can’t find an EcoBoost, well I can but only the 100bhp.

I don’t want sluggish 🙁

Might have to keep hunting for the Astra 1.4 turbo

Northwind

I don’t know how related the current 1.6 na engine is to the one in the mk2, but it’s rotten imo. Can be quite good fun to drive quick, just because of the revviness, but it’s not nice the rest of the time- noisy, revvy, gutless imo. What it needs, is less revs and more torque really, to make it a good match for the car.

(does it have a 6 speed box now? Cruising my dad’s one at 70 you’d think it’s powered by a giant bee)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The powershift I’m after has a 6 speed 125bhp engine with 120lb of torque.

Think the old 1.6 was only 100bhp

Northwind

I think it’s the 115bhp, 114lb/ft version in his so not so different. But to be fair taller gearing would make it much better too.

hora
    Free Member

The old 1.6 aint a bad engine. I struggled to get over 30mpg av. out of it.

Looking for petrols under 40k? My petrol is on 81k!

pinkwafer

We have a 12 plate 1.0 ecoboost focus estate at work, basic spec with the 100bhp engine. So far it’s done 13k and averaged 34.4mpg. The car doesn’t feel under powered but runs out of steam over 80mph. Generally I don’t mind driving it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

See I wouldn’t buy the 100bhp version only the 125.

I’m going to test drive a powershift on Monday so hopefully I’ll make a choice.

ampthill

Mosey you might find this useful

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

A mate bought a 30,000 mile Avensis single owner for I think £6,000

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s really interesting.

I still need to see what my best bet is.

I’ll be test driving the 1.6 astra, the 1.4 turbo astra, the 1.6 powershift Focus and the 1.0l EcoBoost.

I need to sort it asap so hopefully there will be plenty about.

hora
    Free Member

Dont buy a wifebeater!!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I had the 2.0 CDTi (auto) and it was lovely.

hora what would you recommend?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

How about the 1.8 I-VTec Honda Civic?

Looks like it has excellent mpg and good tax costs. I loved the old civic too.

Those fold flat seats look awesome too!

chestrockwell

You said you couldn’t find any, here you go.

http://www.skipton-ford.co.uk/vehicles/used_car/search/Ford_Focus_5339780/?vehicleTypeId=1&page=3

My local dealer and they’re great.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Anyone driven the 1.0 Ford Focus EcoBoost? Motorway advice’ is closed to new replies.