Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Anyone driven the 1.0 Ford Focus EcoBoost? Motorway advice
  • chestrockwell

which will fail at some point.

As will every other part on a car.

Still waiting to hear what can be had at the same age, price and mileage that’s better.

hora
    Free Member

Though I imagine Ford’s engineers have thought of that.

Yes but they only have to worry about all the ancilleries lasting 3yrs and 60,000miles before it becomes someone elses problem.

Marko

Nothing different to a 2 litre 250 bhp petrol turbo, which have been around for ages.

Well how about:

3 cylinders
    A cambelt that runs in oil. That’s a rubber belt NOT a chain.
    Variable oil pressure.

I’ve taken one to bits BTW.

From what I hear the biggest complaint is the lower than expected MPG when pushed a bit hard.

Hth
    Marko

Northwind

Hora- that’s true of everything they build, yet mysteriously their engines don’t all explode at 60001 miles. You seem to be assuming that they’re approaching this flagship motor (and its turbo, which seems to be just another transient overboost borg warner deal? Which is well proven) with totally different, substandard engineering compared to everything else they do, which is just Hora-ey.

The twincharged version is getting almost 180 brake on what reportedly is the same base engine so if that’s the case it has overheads for miles.

dooosuk
    Free Member

MIL has the 125hp engine in a Focus which is now 3yrs old. Only driven it a short distance but I was pretty impressed with it.

tomnavman
    Free Member

I drove one for 3 weeks last year as a hire car, it took me 2 weeks to realise it was only a 1L engine, the performance was great even fully loaded.

The fuel economy on the other hand… my van has a better mpg! Granted I wasn’t driving deliberately economically, but I wasn’t thrashing it either.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit when the hire company gave me the keys I said ‘I’ve got to drive 600miles this weekend’.

She assured me greatly. I was really really impressed. I got approx 35mpg av. (but I like to hold onto gears/don’t change up for optimum).

mtbfix

I had one as a courtesy car a few weeks ago. It was nice to drive, if lacking oomph. I was expecting it to do mega mpg but was disappointed to discover that it’s fuel consumption was worse than our 2l tdci smax. Given that the effective tax saving over a year amounts to 50p a day I’d not be joining a queue to buy one.

DickBarton

Went to Germany last year and the hire car was a 1.0t Focus estate…had 4 adults, toddler, luggage and pram…it was properly loaded as in full. Acceleration was blistering but the wee beast was motoring along at 120mph in places…didn’t seem too bothered. It was much faster unladen but it wasn’t a slouch.
    I’ve got the First with same engine and it seems to be very good…I do a bit of motorway but not a huge amount and it is fine…really like the cruise control…it has a bit of poke if needed as well.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The new smaller engines are pretty impressive and that’s coming from someone who sees capacity and lots of cylinders as a good thing.

I’ve not driven that Ford engine, but the new BMW 3 cylinder engine is a peach even if it does sound a bit like a diesel at tick over. At times it was hard to believe that it had half the cyliners and capacity as our 330.

The 1.4 TSI Golf (138bhp) that I drove was bloody good too. The shut down to two cylinders was undetectable as was the switch back to four.

My main concern with these engines the the added complexity of them in the long term (not an issue for me as whatever I choose will be a company car) but I’d be more wary if it was my money….no real evidence for this, just because really. They’re also too new to get an idea of how they will deal with long term use.

The Ford MPG will be way short of the claimed too – I know all cars are, but my experience of Ford claims are pretty bad. Backed up by other guys at work.

Speeder

Not sure why you’d want to buy something that’s going to depreciate at the sort of rate a 1L Fiesta is in order to save £150-200/year on tax?

I’m sure it’s a perfectly good car mind. My only concern would be the gearing as others have mentioned.

G

zilog6128

I have an aging Mk1 1.6 Focus which will need replacing soon so have been looking at these new 1.0 Ecoboost models. I don’t do many miles and would be looking to run it into the ground so reliability is key rather than depreciation worries but obviously low running costs would be nice!

As above, what is the point of the Ecoboost engine if they are returning same/worse MPG as the bigger engines they’re replacing? Just to save a few hundred quid a year in VED? Doesn’t seem to be much benefit to the consumer (especially if they are more complex and potentially less reliable) – maybe it’s of more benefit to the manufacturer so they can be seen to be producing less polluting cars?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not sure why you’d want to buy something that’s going to depreciate at the sort of rate a 1L Fiesta is in order to save £150-200/year on tax?

Agree massively, but loads of people do just this…and to save a few quid on fuel. The D word is something that most people don’t consider. I know some who say that it is not even a cost of owning a car.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how long you’re keeping the car though doens’t it?

Also – some people are aware that there’s more to the issue of fuel consumption than simple cost. And yes, buying a brand new car solely for environmental reasons is not a good idea, but if you are already going to buy a car, it’s a good idea to buy one that’s more economical than less.

I know some who say that it is not even a cost of owning a car.

It’s not a MONTHLY cost.

As above, what is the point of the Ecoboost engine if they are returning same/worse MPG as the bigger engines they’re replacing?

If you drive it extremely carefully it will return better mpg. It’s just that people tend not to give much of a shit in practice.

Northwind

zilog6128 – Member

As above, what is the point of the Ecoboost engine if they are returning same/worse MPG as the bigger engines they’re replacing? J

Realistically the 100bhp model is equivalent to your 1.6- I don’t think it replaces it but they’re in the same bracket. Anyway, better claimed mpg.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s not a MONTHLY cost.”

yep its a daily/hourly/minutely cost

hora
    Free Member

As above, what is the point of the Ecoboost engine if they are returning same/worse MPG as the bigger engines they’re replacing? Just to save a few hundred quid a year in VED? Doesn’t seem to be much benefit to the consumer (especially if they are more complex and potentially less reliable) – maybe it’s of more benefit to the manufacturer so they can be seen to be producing less polluting cars?

If your ‘ageing’ MKI isn’t chucking out big bills you’d be changing for nice shiny new sake. Not a great idea if you like throwing a bike/kit in and leaving in supermarket carparks IMO. Get PX’d when it looks expensive IMO.

Your 1.6 is circa 30mpg av? I bet with mixed driving and making good progress you’ll be saving pennies on the fuel spend.

The spend outlay massively wipes out any miniscule saving over a year IMO.

Northwind

Probably save something like 10%-20% on fuel bills, depending on weight of foot.

hora
    Free Member

So if you spent £40 a week thats only £190 saved. Factor in full-fat depreciation of at least 1k a year versus ‘who cares/lot lower’ on an older car?..

chestrockwell

If you compare it to the old 1.6 (Which I also had) the 1.0t is quieter, smoother, faster both in acceleration and top end, is as good on fuel if booted but much better is driven steadier and cheaper to tax. The old engine beats the new one in no way, shape or form.

chrisr1983
    Free Member

I just bought myself a Ford Focus about a month ago. My budget was £10k so similar to yours. I wanted something with a bit more power than my previous car (a Merc C180 coupe) and tried the 1.0 ecoboost 125. It performed about the same (I guess similar power to weight ratios). I then found out that there are very few focus 1.6 ecoboosts with 180bhp. They’re rare but they do exists. I went with one of those for £9800. Very efficient and very fast.

The 1 litre is absolutely fine on both motorways and town driving but if you want something faster keep your eye out for a 1.6 ecoboost.

MrNice
    Free Member

there are 1.6 ecoboosts with 150 or 180 bhp. 180bhp is badged as zetec s, the 150 can be badged titanium (possibly other things too).

Currently looking seriously at getting one myself (changing from 7 year old NA 1.8 focus and looking for a bit more grunt)

_tom_
    Free Member

I test drove a 1l Ecoboost Focus and I hated it. The performance seemed ok from what I could tell, but the whole car finish felt very cheap and plasticcy. I wouldn’t want to spunk that much cash on one. I went with the “safe” Golf option and I’ve been very happy with it.

zilog6128

If your ‘ageing’ MKI isn’t chucking out big bills you’d be changing for nice shiny new sake. Not a great idea if you like throwing a bike/kit in and leaving in supermarket carparks IMO. Get PX’d when it looks expensive IMO.

I don’t disagree with this – I definitely plan to run my current car into the ground so I’m thinking a few years ahead (hopefully!) That said it’s 15yrs old & did have a couple of advisories on the last MOT so we’ll see. Will be a shame when it goes though, it drives great and spare parts cost bugger all. Plus as you say I can sling the bike in it or have a trolley bash into it and not give a toss!

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone’s gotta buy them new…

richmtb

I had a test drive of the 1.6 litre 182 ecoboost Focus.

If it had 180 horsepower it hid them well.

£9000 buys a lot of cars if you are prepared to go for something slightly older.

Fuel and Tax are only a small part of the running costs of a car. Buying something with most of the depreciation hit taken by someone else is a lot more cost effective in the longer term.

hora
    Free Member

How about…. A newish…Panda 4×4 OP

chestrockwell

£9000 buys a lot of cars if you are prepared to go for something slightly older.

Like what? I’ve actually been looking at this price range as we need to change the Mini but all the A3’s or 1 Series in this price range have bigger miles and look tired. The decent Golfs have higher mileage then we’d want and there’s no chance of getting a decent 3 Series Touring or A4 Avant. As someone looking at that size car what else is there that isn’t getting to the age and mileage that’ll start to cost?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How’s about a large capacity petrol luxury barge? Crap fuel economy but if you’re a low mileage driver (can’t tell from your original post) it might be affordable despite crap mpg. Something like a 7 series bmw, Audi A8, big jag. This is my dads strategy and he’s had some cracking cars for around £10k.

matt_outandabout

£9k for reliable, comfy?
    Avensis 1.8 petrol.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Just to confirm I’m not buying new. I’m replacing a diesel because it’s not getting the runs it needs and has failed 2 mot’s based on emissions.

I’m going back to petrol.

I’ve looked at golds and would love a 1.4tsi but there are just nine in budget without high mileage.

A seat Leon would be great but again, none ins budget. I want something newer than a 60 plate and with less than 40,000 on the clock.

MrNice
    Free Member

if the diesel isn’t getting the runs it needs why do you want low mileage? if you’re not doing big miles, could you go for above average mileage but younger, figuring the high mileage will have dropped back to average by the time you get rid?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So let me get this straight.

For a diesel to get the run it needs and to make it more economical you need to be doing around 12,000 miles a year?

I do 8/9 at the most so that’s petrol territory right?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really like that. Diesel is more economical and of course it doesn’t need to cost any more, just buy a slightly older one.

If you were to buy new, the extra cost of diesel would require more miles to make it financially worth it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My diesel is an 09 and the mot guys (a family friend) says the DPF can’t regen right on my short journey.

They recommended I switch to petrol

Northwind

MoseyMTB – Member

For a diesel to get the run it needs and to make it more economical you need to be doing around 12,000 miles a year?

Depends on the diesel and the petrol. The difference between the nearest petrol version of my car, and my diesel, is mahoosive. Like, in the 30000 miles i’ve put on it, the fuel and tax saving is more than the car cost and the cost of the 4 new injectors and most of the turbo too.

Course, I could have bought a littler more economic petrol car.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m going to test drive the 1.0l and the 1.6 auto back to back tomorrow.

If the 1.0l came as an auto I’d buy it tomorrow.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Like what? I’ve actually been looking at this price range as we need to change the Mini but all the A3’s or 1 Series in this price range have bigger miles and look tired. The decent Golfs have higher mileage then we’d want and there’s no chance of getting a decent 3 Series Touring or A4 Avant. As someone looking at that size car what else is there that isn’t getting to the age and mileage that’ll start to cost?

There’s loads of chance to get a good A4 or 3 series for that kind of budget if you don’t mind something a bit older. I don’t get the obsession with mileage on second hand cars. Condition is far more important. I’d rather have a high mileage car that has been looked after correctly than a low mileage that hasn’t. We bought our 330 with 75k on the clock two years ago this summer and it’s been really good so far. Full set of tyres and a new set of VANOS actuators, passed both MOT’s with no issues. It’s now done 88k but feels a damn sight better than my Ford company that’s done 74k.

I’m not saying that there aren’t shitters out there, but if you’re careful you should get a car that won’t cost the earth to run and has already seen the worst of its depreciation. Don’t discount the A6 or 5 series either….depreciation is even worse on the bigger cars.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well I got to the showroom to drive the 1.0l EcoBoost and it had been sold. Oh well.

I’ll keep hunting.

Anybody have any recommendations other than –

Seat Leon
    VW Golf
    Ford Focus

trail_rat
    Free Member

” 330 with 75k on the clock “

you started so promising then came out with a low milage car that you bought to back up your statement.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Anyone driven the 1.0 Ford Focus EcoBoost? Motorway advice’ is closed to new replies.