Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone drive a Touareg – what is it like?
  • withersea
    Free Member

Thinking of buying one with the smaller diesel engine for towing horses/bike moving duties. Interested in experiences/costs of running one outside of manufacturer warranty period. Cheers

withersea
    Free Member

Doh wrong forum – sorry

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Drove a bigger one in Oz a few years ago. OK for cruising, but not nice round bends and no bigger inside than a Mondeo estate. It was nice to borrow for free (Sister in law worked for VW on Oz) but I wouldn’t buy one in a month of Sundays.

Stick to a car.

hora
    Free Member

They look nice but are abit of a reverse-tardis and I question their longevity for a bit of work.

I know these can be thirstier for a diesel but why not a Mitsubishi Shogun?

sssimon
    Free Member

like a q7 or cayenne with all the bits that make them handle taken out

Chris-S
    Free Member

If you like regular visits to kwik-fit get one – they eat tyres like mad!

Digger90
    Free Member

2 mates have them: 1 smaller diesel, 1 the 6cyl diesel.

Both get same mileage, as smaller diesel works much harder for same weight/speed etc. Buy the bigger engined one if you get one.

As Hora said – they are the equivalent of an Inverse Tardis – huge outside, small inside. No bigger than a normal family car.

My wife’s 16yr old Isuzu Trooper and my cheap as chips Kia Sedona are much more useable for packing family/kids/bikes/dogs in as well as towing.

That said, I do really like the driver’s seating position in my mates higher-spec Touareg – very nice!

nickf
    Free Member

They’re OK to drive and, if you get the 5.0 V10, stupidly quick. Handle like a sack of spuds, but unless you’re expecting a 4×4 to be Elise-like on the bends, you know won’t be surprised. The 3.0’s probably the best one – the 2.5’s very slow (and has Tiptronic rather than a conventional auto), and the 5.0 handles a lot worse ‘cos it’s a very heavy engine!

Typically VW drab inside, but everything works well.

Running costs aren’t terrible – the 3.0TDI auto I drove for a bit averaged 31mpg, and servicing’s OK if you go to an indy – VW will charge you £400 for a nothing-extra service. Where it can get pricey is on brake pads & discs (it’s a heavy car, and genuine VW is expensive) plus tyres. Again, nothing dramatic, but depending on the wheel size, you could easily pay £800 for a set of tyres every 20k.

Some get hit with prop shaft bearing failure (not all by any means) which is a few hundrd quid to sort at a good indy (Inde-Tech in Milton Keynes are excellent), up to £1k at VW, because they only fit an entire brand new prop shaft. Sledgehammer to crack a nut.

withersea
    Free Member

cheers have been looking at a high spec 2.5 model, looked at and loved the v10 but couldn’t justify burning that much petrol. Looks like I’d need to source a good independent vw garage. Not bothere by driving dyanmics it’s to tow two horses or a bike rack with three bikes and I drive a 4wd Qashqai at the moment (don’t buy one by the way)so you’ll gather the driving experience isn’t hugely important or the internal size. Nick – what’s the main difference between a nomral auto and the tiptronic – none of the online reviews have mentioned/commented on it?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

WOW! die gast moet stalen ballen hebben.. hahaha… +1

crispo
    Free Member

I know you said diesel……..

But my girlfriends mum used to have the 4.4 V8 toureg, got a combined 13MPG!! It used to eat through tyres at 600 quid a pop too so needless to say they no longer have it!

martinwilly
    Free Member

I think the arse has fallen out of the market for big-engined cars. So you’d get a good deal but I think the market knows what it’s about.

hora
    Free Member

Buy pre-2006 to avoid big VED’s

ooOOoo
    Free Member

They looked huge when they first came out. How times have changed.

withersea
    Free Member

eye on a black altitude model – stainless exhaust, piano black trim and leather and lots of toys (no bluetooth though as that was a £500 option – wtf!) seem to have found a good place for towbar fitting, thankfully not the vw agarage who wanted….wait for it…..£1,000!

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Sack it off and get a proper 4×4

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

oops… forgot the smile 🙂

geoffj

eye on a black altitude model – stainless exhaust, piano black trim and leather and lots of toys

Surely that’s more Porsche Cayenne territory

withersea
    Free Member

similar without the tossy badge and lacking the petrol guzzling engine…

And I don’t want to be taking the family on visits around the country in a defender – although that way they would stop talking to me 😉

nickf
    Free Member

Re Tiptronic, I think I’ve managed to confuse myself.

I thought the Tiptronic transmission in the 2.5TDI was a variant of the CVT transmission as seen in the A6 2.7TDI some years back. I was wrong. Certainly the auto on the 3.0 is excellent.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone drive a Touareg – what is it like?’ is closed to new replies.