Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone done some in Cyprus ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Going for half term in week in October and was looking to book an ‘expert’ tour with these guys. I do a ride a week in the Peaks, The Lakes and Wales – mostly natural routes between 35 & 60k but also do the trail centres in the Winter months. Obviously looking for something that’s a bit of a challenge while I’m out there. Their bikes and site looks ok. Anybody booked with them before or know of any other groups ?

http://www.mountainbikecyprus.com/

excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone ??

Mugboo

Hi

I was there last May.

Booked two hardtails off them for exploring round Pathos. Half decent Marins with cheap forks, one of which the rim tape had slipped on so kept ripping open the valves 🙁
    Nice bloke though and I think this was a one off as his bikes looked well kept and he delivered them to our door.

I went on to book a more expensive bike and half day out round Troodos as we were staying a few days up in Platres.

Bike was a Marin Alpine Trail, again in good nick but the usual guides weren’t around so the boss took me out. We rode the circular walking path that runs from Troodos Square. It’s not very challenging and the boss was pretty slow and didn’t ride the few techy bits.
    I went back and walked it the next and found out he had missed the best section out!

So to conclude, bikes are pretty good (depending on what you ride at home), boss is a good guy but no doubt spends most of his time organising instead of riding. Make sure you go out with one of his guides and don’t expect anything too difficult.

Having said that, I only saw one trail. Cyprus could be covered in great trails!

We walked a beauty from above the waterfalls nr the Presidents summer house..:)

Any more info required, just ask

Cheers Jason

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks Jason.

The video on the web site shows off what looks like some great trails on the Troodos. I’d be pretty peeved if they sent me out on a ‘path’ if I’d booked an ‘expert trail’. On the back of what you’ve said I’ve sent them an e-mail. I was hoping for some good challenging guided routes all over the Troodos. Like you when I was there a few years ago I spotted loads of trails and swore to go back but it’s taken till now.

I’d be content with the Marin Alpine cause I’m not risking my bike with the airport there, you should have seen the state of the suit cases last time we went !

I’ll see what comes back in the e-mail but it maybe that I need to search out another guide company.

Thanks again, Garry

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

When I was based in Cyprus I used to go cycling up in troodos loads! It’s awesome. If you dont know the area (which I guess you don’t) then get a guide.

Worth it though!

excitable1
    Free Member

Can you recommend a guide or do you rate… http://www.mountainbikecyprus.com/

Pembo
    Free Member

Same experience as Mugboo, great for getting away from the family for a couple of half-days but struggling to see how they can provide an ‘expert’ tour. The video shows the walking trails from troodos square which are basically two flatish trails that circle the mountain with a short climb connecting the two, absolutely no downhill at all even though you are a few thousand feet up. The pictures from the gallery are all from around the walking trails.

There must be some great quality trails around that area and even the possibility of getting an uplift to Troodos square and a few thousand feet of good descending, you just need to find a good guide.

Mugboo

Just remembered

They will hire you a basic hardtail to use on your own but if you want the Alpine Trail you have to book a guide..

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I don’t know any guides as I was led by some of my army mates then I led others when I was leaving etc etc etc.

That company looks good. Ask them for a trail map before you go (if possible) via the net and do some research.

renton
    Free Member

I lived in cyprus for 3 years whilst i was based out there with the raf.

I used to go out with a company called “biketrekcyprus” but the chap who used to run it closed it down and moved back to the uk.

there are some very good trails around the top of the troodos mountains and the akamas penninsula near papahos.

there are a few trails that go round the top of troodos and mount olympus and then carry on around the back of the military camp in troodos square down into platres which include some very steep and techy sections!! :mrgreen:

swampi
    Free Member

my parents live in Kato pathos and I have ridden there a fair bit, the Akamas mountains which are closer have loads of trails, you will mainly ride the E4 walking trails which go on for miles which are big wide dust trails, the Trodos range is nice and rocky,but again you can just pitch up and ride the E trails etc, I did a day with that company..nice enough and well maintained bikes but as the others have said you basically pitch up and ride a circular foot path which is fine but not exactly guided…I now prefer to take my road bike there as there are some lovely newly surfaced climbs and descents where you can easily hit50/60mph…so look up the E trails in advance if ya want to off road

Diane
    Free Member

I’ve been out with Biketrekcyprus round Troodos and Akamas. The guy knew the area well- would take photos whilst riding – scared me to death. Not that techy. Nice days out though.

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Looks like a bit of exploring in the Akamas might be a better option. Certainly from what I remember driving over and looking at Google Earth there looks like some half decent trails with the added advantage of having the sea as a constant reference point.

Anyone know where I can hire a half decent full sus from ?

mattsccm
    Free Member

My dad did some things in Cypru. He drove a very big digger, had several fights with other soldiers, lived up a mountain with only his digger and a 303 for company and hit his mate over the head with a very big melon.

mattsccm
    Free Member

sorry 😳

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done some in Cyprus ?’ is closed to new replies.