Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone done Plymouth ferry to Roscoff, cycle to Cherbourg, ferry to Poole?
  • flashes
    Free Member

Anyone done Plymouth ferry to Roscoff, cycle to Cherbourg, ferry to Poole? or have you done any of the France route? Sounds like it could be a nice week’s amble……….

mikey3
    Free Member

I did Plymouth -roscoff cycle to Santander,and ferry to caen and cycle to st malo (down into france and back to caen first and then across) to I’ve cycles some of that route,i,m guessing you have looked at the tour de manche website?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Not exactly, but did Portsmouth -> St Malo, cycled to Caen, then Caen -> Portsmouth. Overnighter outward, arrived into SM at 8am, cycled for 3 1/2 days, and evening ferry back home.

Was fab. We’ve done a number of similar UK ones, but the roads/drivers in France were just so good in comparison. Also great food, wine etc.

Routes on that stretch of coast are easy, lots of NCN type routes. But beware, some of the old railway tracks are lined with thick trees, you don’t get any sort of view for miles and miles. Becomes very monotonous. Apart from that cant recommend it enough.

nigew
    Free Member

I have done the reverse route to Urbanbiker about 8 years ago
    It was a great experience, we went for 7 days and stayed in Ibis/ Formula 1 hotels, we followed the coast roads as far as we could. I think we cut across to Coutances otherwise it would of taken too long
    We called at Arromanche, Mont St Micheal, which was a bit too touristy but worth a visit and Granville has a beautiful harbour.
    Do it

DrP

Is that the tour du manche or something like that?

DrP

steezysix
    Free Member

Lovely cycling in that part of France, Normandy is a bit hilly in places though! Did portsmouth-cherbourg last summer, and headed east from there round to Dunkirk. Lots of history there as well (D-day, bayeux) so make sure you budget some time for sightseeing!

nigew
    Free Member

Is that the tour du manche or something like that?

Was that for me?
    No idea, we got off the ferry with no plan apart from having to be in St Malo 7 days later.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done Plymouth ferry to Roscoff, cycle to Cherbourg, ferry to Poole?’ is closed to new replies.