Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone done a BMBO race?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/

Looking at a local one to me – never done one before – any good?

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, loads. Generally good events. Which one are you thinking of?

warton
    Free Member

Yeah, done a few in the past. always enjoyed them, but not the best at map reading, so spent a lot of time lost!

foxyrider
    Free Member

The South Dartmoor one @ South Brent – be good to do it in a group?

I used to be in the Scouts & Done D of E etc so map reading / compas use not too bad.

xterramac
    Free Member

They are fun, chilled out events, that don’t cost much and get you to ride trails you might not normally go for.
    However,its not really a race, unless you can nav! MTBO has way harder nav than trailquest (which are genrally os maps), it don’t matter how quick you can ride if your going the wrong way……. I organised one a few years ago and took great pleasure in seeing a certain “Mr Fleeman, of road fame” get his ass handed to him by people of 50+ years who haddent gone over 20mph. It really puts folks on an even field…
    Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,

aracer
    Free Member

MTBO has way harder nav than trailquest (which are genrally os maps)

Except the event foxyrider is looking at doing is “MTBO score” – ie much the same as what used to be called trailquests (now there’s a geeky name if ever I’ve heard one – hence the rebrand).

Sorry I don’t know much about that event – I’m sure it will be fun though, so long as you can navigate.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think I can 😉

aracer
    Free Member

My background before starting navigational racing (bike, foot, ski etc.) was scouts and DofE, so I’m sure you’ll be fine 🙂

I’ve only done trailquests, which are the same as BMBO score events.
    There’s no set route. Nobody gets to all the control points in the time allowed, so it’s down to you to pick a route that visits as many as possible.
    A map board is pretty much essential, you don’t want to keep stopping to get the map out of your pocket.
    You’ll need a watch, or some other means of knowing how much time you’ve got left.
    Other than that, just turn up and enjoy it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got a map clear wallet – I guess I could put a board in it and then have it on the bars?

FOG

Hey we’re doing well, 10 posts in and no snide remarks about beards or Marins.The ‘my niche is better than yours’ crowd must still be in bed.

foxyrider
    Free Member

True FOG – very civilised so far 😉 LOL

aracer
    Free Member

Mapboard definitely recommended – traditional DIY method involves correx sheet (as used in “for sale” signs) zip tied to your bars – though I’m sure google should find you some instructions.

xterramac
    Free Member

Marin’s ha ha luv it!
    It was that old skool full suss one with the different colored rear triangle that was dubbed the “trailquesters favorite” , name that bike?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Mount Vision they all had them back in the day. I felt left out on my Giant XTC.

aracer
    Free Member

I had a Mount Vision (actually still have – really must get round to building it back up and flogging on for the pennies it’s probably worth now).

foxyrider
    Free Member

My mate and I both have had mount visions as well 🙂

I’ve never had a mount vision but I’ve done a few trailquests – really good fun and can be very competetive too.

“Nobody gets to all the control points in the time allowed, so it’s down to you to pick a route that visits as many as possible.”

Sometimes it does happen

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done a BMBO race?’ is closed to new replies.