Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone done a barista course?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Probably loads given the coffee nuts on here….

I was in my favourite caffeine providers today and was admiring the latte art on my flat white (flat white art?) saying “I wish I could do that sort of thing”

Turns out their other café in town has a barista school attached – £75 for the beginners course. I’d love to go and make a fool of myself in front of some other coffee enthusiasts, but given that I currently only make filter coffee at home, would I be wasting my time and just end up with aeropress/grinder envy? Or a very expensive coffee machine habit…

Or it could be the start of a whole new career, if I didn’t drink all the stock profits.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, waste of time unless you have upgraded your coffee machine to something in the price range of say £1.5k onwards. The larger the coffee machine the better … larger tank so stronger steam etc …

To make the latte art whatever you need proper powerful steam with micro form.

Been messing with my Gaggia Classic for many years until I got really fed up with the hype of latte art shite.

Now I just drink Americano whatever … basically it just freshly grind coffee beans with sugar.

P/s: Not waste of time if you enjoy the basic course.

footflaps

Do Nespresso do courses?

😉

MoreCashThanDash

Do Nespresso do courses?

Ouch!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh I half expected to see chewks post say get an automatic corolla they are the best.

You will learn alot besides the art from the course.

Nothing you wouldn’t get from reading but you will have opportunity to question. And get further info on why rather than just do it my way or else.

It will also let you know what you need/want if you do upgrade your at home system.

MoreCashThanDash

It will also let you know what you need/want if you do upgrade your at home

This was what I was thinking.

And the latte art is two levels up from the beginners course. I believe there are additional levels for beard trimming and moustache waxing.

slowoldman

Apparently Chris Hoy has.

MoreCashThanDash

Well, if he’s on the forum he can tell me about it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Go for it then report back … 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

£75 ?

Do it, why not. Could be fun.

40mpg

Get a part time job in Costa, they’ll pay you (not a lot) to learn. My daughters a barista maestro while at uni, she does some great flat white designs. There’s a fair bit of skill in getting the milk texture and pour right!

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve told my kids that if they get their lifesaving qualifications and can make a flat white they’ll never be out of work, however lowly paid.

zanelad
    Free Member

You’ll never get a job in chambers if you can’t spell.

alpin
    Free Member

Barista…. Not to be confused with barrister, which is a proper profession. IME, barista is just a **** way of saying “I make cups of coffee” for people who have a low self esteem having failed their exams.

Might start referring to myself as a “woodista” to pepy ego…. Carpenter is so old hat.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve been on a day to Rave Coffee, more of a forum nerd thing but was free 🙂 Found it very interesting, particularly the brewed coffee methods. There is a risk of machine envy if you’re making espresso. But then I’d question why you’d go on that course if you couldn’t practice what you’d learnt. I know some places do brewed, maybe look for that? Or accept that you’ll have to flog a bike. You don’t need to spend a fortune to get a decent setup.

chewkw
    Free Member

I suggest you get a proper coffee machine where you can thoroughly enjoy all that you will learn.

Who knows you might be a famous coffee roaster with a famous cafe in future.

Try these people for coffee machine.

However, I like the look of ECM Synchronika Dual Boiler …

mattbee

Why not, if you’re interested.
    We gave the in laws butchery experience days for Christmas a few years ago, neither of them are butchers or interested in becoming them but they enjoy good food & are interested in the processes involved, I’d see the barista thing as similar.
    (Although the FIL came away having chatted about smoking & curing meats with the butcher and now owns a massive sry/wet smoker & associated stuff which gets used loads…)

piemonster

If you’ve the interest, and have £75 youre happy to take a punt with then go for it.

You’ve only really a day and a few quid to lose.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done a barista course?’ is closed to new replies.