Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone doing the Merida half marathon this weekend? Or know what they’re like?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Have been talked into it by a friend (although haven’t quite signed up yet). I’ve never done anything like this before though… Has anyone had any experience of these types of events – are they fun?

We’re going to be doing the 50km – anyone know how hard/easy the courses tend to be?

sofatester
    Free Member

It will be just like any 50km ride in the hills. Apart from your sharing them with hundreds of other riders!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hmmm… I’m beginning to wonder if it’s not such a hot idea afterall… Although, I do like the idea of a challenge and it seems like a bit of an adventure and a good opportunity to meet some other riders. Bit worried about the ‘traffic’ though…

Gilles

Traffic at the start but it clear up quickly. The route is usually good and you just has to follow the signs, no map or GPS, so that’s nice. You usually race with the guy in front of you just because you like to do it, and feel sometime annoyed if a woman overtook you. The feeding stations are boring, bananas and nearly out of date high 5, compare to the rough ride for example, with flapjack, cake and rabbit burger.

bakey

A mate and I are doing the 50km on Sunday. It’s his first time too, but as I will have done the night marathon a few hours previously a steady day out is all I’ll prob. be up to.

This is the third time I’ve done the Builth Merida and enjoyed the previous ones greatly – good bit of banter, opp. to meet new people. It’s a b*gger if it’s wet though esp. through the forest sections. Traffic is never really a problem, if you’re not looking to set a personal best, just relax and enjoy the event.

See you there.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I did the Selkirk one in 2004 I think, the first one there. I probably wouldn’t do one again, far too many other folk about to make it an enjoyable off road ride. Only way to get away from the masses is by being very slow or very fast.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the Merida half marathon this weekend? Or know what they’re like?’ is closed to new replies.